• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have I got?

C15TA

What have I got? M1010 Variant?

I recently made the eight hour trip to PA to purchase a few treasures from Rick (CUCVRUS). Great guy and good guy to deal with by the way. While there I added to my list the brackets that held the crosses on the side as well as the brackets for the caduceus. My truck doesn't have the brackets and just some loose sheet metal screws in the rivet holes. Anyway that's what I thought! When I got home and held the brackets up against the side of the truck they weren't even close to the sheet metal screw holes and there were no holes where the caduceus was. A close inspection of the rivets in the side of the truck showed that I never had the brackets to start with. On the back door you can see the sheet metal screws on the doors and not right for the ambulance signs. I put yellow tape over the screws on the side so you can see the size and shape of whatever was there. Also on the passenger side the front vent is not there but a door instead. That could have been added by the police department that owned it at one point. I think Ollie told me it was the Eden Vermont Police. What do I have here???
BarryBox Detail-1.jpgBox Detail-2.JPGBox Detail-3.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decode the VIN or check the data plates. Very hard to determine from just showing pics of what you don't have!

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barry you should change the title of your post to include M-1010, the question he has here is about the crosses and the size , were there other sizes in use ie . other branch of service, and the truck is a M-1010, or were the M-1010 used for other jobs within the Army,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is an M1010 then it's an M1010. There were some contract trucks that had similar bodies surfacing. We can't possibly know this from the pics. The mil standard called for the placards on the sides and rear. Always the possibility that it was reskinned too! There are a number of folks here that are very sharp with the Mark body but without a decent set of pics to analyze, going to be hard to determine what was or wasn't or isn't supposed to be there!

C15TA

Barry you should change the title of your post to include M-1010, the question he has here is about the crosses and the size , were there other sizes in use ie . other branch of service, and the truck is a M-1010, or were the M-1010 used for other jobs within the Army,
Thanks Frank. I guess I didn't word that real well. The truck is definitely a M1010 but is it some kind of variant? There seem to be a few differences between it and other M1010's and I am naturally curious about what I have. Here are a few more photos of my turning pink truck.
Thanks for the replies,
BarryIMG_2494.jpgIMG_2495.JPGIMG_2496.jpgIMG_2502.JPGIMG_2498.jpg

dependable

I remember reading somewhere that Canada had some M-1010s in military service until recently. Perhaps some of the details were different. If it came from the US, it probably has a military registration number stenciled somewhere.

Madmedic

What's the interior look like? The door where the vent is supposed to be, was definitely added later. I'd look again, and see if there's any signs of some kind of filler material where the rivets would have been for the brackets to hold the crosses, and Caduceus.

While re-skinning is possible, it's unlikely. The military would have done the minimum necessary in order to re-task the vehicle. Also, a police department is always on a tight budget and would again, do the minimum needed for the vehicle to do it's intended purpose.

The sheet metal screws were likely done by an owner AFTER the military. Most likely, the military would have stayed with pop rivets, if they had intended to put something in place of the red crosses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks