• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 10 ton this week?

fasttruck

Yes I am sure the truck in question was not a 5 ton. The truck had been surplused out and fallen into the possession of a lumber mill near Lebanon, PA. They had 2ea of these which and been made into knuckle boom trucks to handle logs in the mill yard. One still had the 903 Cummins in it. I surmised they wiped out then 903 in the other and put a Mack engine in the chassis. I also never saw one in service with anything other than the Cummins V-8. The Mack engine would be an easy swap. I'm guessing they found a different radiator for it.

AMGeneral

Hmmm, I noticed the M123 towing the M747 w the M109 on the deck in post #20 has truck #B440 on the bumper. It seems that that truck was referenced in a article in either Military Vehicles or Army Motors several years ago. If I remember correctly it was former NG driver that had written the article about using the M123 to haul M60 tanks?

Maybe I am wrong, dunno.

fasttruck

B 440 probably appeared in that article but other B Company trucks, especially B345 also made it into print. "B Company" was Co B, 50th Main Support Bn, 42nd Division, NJARNG. The unit at that time was located in Dover, NJ. The subject of the article was a project called "The Reef-X" which involved transporting demilled track vehicles including M60s, M 551 tanks, VTRs and various members of the 113 family from Ft. Dix, NJ 50 miles to the Navy ammunition pier at Sandy Hook, NJ wence they were bared out to sea and sunk to provide fish habitats and encourage recreational fishing. This activity started in 1995 and lasted through 1998. M 123s were used the first year for the M60 loads as the NJARNGs M911s had been taken up for the Iraq adventure. The smaller vehicles were transported with M818 or M915 tractors and M172 and M872 trailers.

I was also the one who wrote the magazine article you refer to.

rollingthunder

Hmmm, I noticed the M123 towing the M747 w the M109 on the deck in post #20 has truck #B440 on the bumper. It seems that that truck was referenced in a article in either Military Vehicles or Army Motors several years ago. If I remember correctly it was former NG driver that had written the article about using the M123 to haul M60 tanks?

Maybe I am wrong, dunno.
Check out my profile pic. Me and my 123 pulling an m60 on the XM 793 tank trailer circa 1987. The XM 793 was used by the marine corps only as far as I know. Trailer was shaped like a horseshoe with the axles between each leg of the trailer. Max speed was maybe 43 mph Bob tailed. Have had one clocked going down Schwab hill Okinawa at 91. That was in Mexican overdrive. Pulled the M172's and M870's for other heavy equipment such as dozens and self propelled guns like the M109's. Have several thousand miles under my belt in the M123. At 41-43 mph, that's a lot of wheel time. Never touched the clutch except when stopped or taking off. RPM shift through all gears even when splitting up or down. Would love to drive one again just for the memories and to also see if I could still split the gears. Loved the axle brakes as well. Made it turn on a dime in a tight spot like a tracked vehicle.
I MISS OLE 327. SERIAL 365327

V8srfun

How cool would it be to obtain the truck that you drove when in service! Seriously that is the kind of think people write books about.

TacticalTruck

Well that's no good...send it down to me and I will de-rust it for you:)
One thing this Corona crap has done is give me time to pull my trucks out one at a time and service them. The old Le-Roi runs great. I was using the Condec to pull stuff out and I was reminded I need a front driveshaft for that truck.

Dirt71

Well I got my 10 ton under it's new roof, ready to get to work on it....

Attachments

Dirt71

This is what I've done this week on the M125-A1 I have Sherwin Williams working on color matching paint for me. Busy Busy with work so I'm doing what I can when I can.

Attachments

Dirt71

I bought this 10 ton from a buddy of mine mainly for a spare part's vehicle for my 10 ton cargo truck. The engine would only rotate so far in each direction and stop so I decided to pull the head's off because my thought's were because it had been sitting 20+ yrs it was a good chance 1 or 2 of the cylinder's would be full of corrosion and because a diesel engine has no combustion chamber when the piston come's top dead center there's no where for debris to go and it get's compacted to the point where the engine can't make a full revolution. So I was pleased to see that was all it was and not a broke rod in the bottom end. Now just have to get the pump and injector's rebuilt and a top end gasket set and bolt it all back together and hopefully it's gonna be a piece. Then I can cruise to the Winn Dixie for a gallon of milk and loaf of bread.:grd:

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, figured I would add to this. While the truck Isn't mine, I do get to play with it. Recent things, added a Racor fuel filter to strain the stuff from the tank, the passenger side is shut off. All other filters changed. Removed the FP and had it repaired due to the crap in the fuel tanks. Runs smooth, unfortunately, not enough room to really stretch it's legs. V8 300 powered. From what Craig has told me, he acquired it from a logging company up in Wa. years ago. Not too much rust, everything seems to work, but I have not tried the winches. BIG difference from a deuce to this, lots of extras and less leg room!M123.jpgM123 2.jpgM123 1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks