• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

JohnnyBM931A2

I installed a radio and a dome light this week. While I enjoy listening to the whine of the turbo, I have to have some music too. I just happened to have this speaker laying around that wasn't being used. It fit perfectly wedged between the wiper motors and the roof. It sounds surprisingly good for its size.

View attachment 589586

View attachment 589587
Looks good :) I think I will use that method to mount the 24v military surplus dome light that I just bought. I have a hardtop too.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Troopers, And today I inspected a 5 ton tractor for sale, but its got a multi-fuel engine, # LDS4651A. The only numbers I could make out on the nameplate wa the date: 1966. And in the cab there were two handles, like the duece has for the transfer case, but then a second one .(?). Can you recognioze what trucck this is?
Sorry getting caught up here.

Nice M52! Best part...it has s-cam air brakes! How about the front axle brakes?

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello peacemkr, and I am your neighbor. What car show did you go to? I would like to bring my truck with your's to a show sometime...WHATADEUCE
Hello Whatadeuce. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. There are a few shows around each weekend. Tonight is the Jam at the park on 140th and there is a guy on Palm beach fl mv club ? trying to get trucks there. I will be there with mine. Also at John I Leonard High School on Nov 7th from noon to 6pm I am trying to get a few trucks for a friends show as a surprise.
If you want to go tonight let me know and we can "convoy" in

tbar123

I finally got around to sliding my bed back. So I could get the big spare in.It's not completely done yet, but should be soon.IMG_20151023_175331375.jpgIMG_20151023_160706849.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hello myothersam41, And I didn't know enough to look at the front brakes. In my estimation, this truck needs too much work, because the cab in rusted through all around the top, and because the air cleaner was removed and I believe the engine is exposed to moisture...Is this machine worth parting out?

JohnnyBM931A2

Took my truck for a drive the other day! First time I've actually driven it anywhere since I bought it in July :) It had been about a month since I moved it.. Brakes were locked up :( But I took care of that quick, and went for a 10 minute drive around the neighborhood. Made me so happy after a not-so-great day of doing yardwork and other stuff.. Plenty of thumbs up and waves too. Gotta love these trucks 8)

Did nothing today except for running the truck, which I do every 3 days. Also trying to decide whether or not I should spend the $650 on a pair of heated Truck Lite LED headlights.. A lot more than I want to spend, but I think they will work out well for me. Winter can be pretty brutal around here, and having headlights coated in snow would be bad.

Another Ahab

Did nothing today except for running the truck, which I do every 3 days. Also trying to decide whether or not I should spend the $650 on a pair of heated Truck Lite LED headlights.. A lot more than I want to spend, but I think they will work out well for me. Winter can be pretty brutal around here, and having headlights coated in snow would be bad.
If Crystal Lake is anywhere near Chicago, you'll thank yourself after the second snow that you bought the heated LEDs.

I remember my winter at Great Lakes Naval Training Station. I would have paid that, and THEN-some, to have had heated LED's in my US Navy Peacoat (that thing just never really cut it out in that Illinois Cold).

MtnSnow

Enjoyed a 65 mile road trip with the M923a2 to participate in a "trunk or treat" car/truck show on Sunday with fellow SS member Gunzy.

JohnnyBM931A2

If Crystal Lake is anywhere near Chicago, you'll thank yourself after the second snow that you bought the heated LEDs.

I remember my winter at Great Lakes Naval Training Station. I would have paid that, and THEN-some, to have had heated LED's in my US Navy Peacoat (that thing just never really cut it out in that Illinois Cold).
lol.. I'm North of Chicago, about 30 minutes from the border with Wisconsin. The weather can be even more terrible here rofl

Yeah I'm probably going to buy them in the next few days. Hopefully I can sell the Hella glass assemblies and H4 bulbs to make back some of the money I spent on that stuff.

74M35A2

That's a lot of money for headlamps. You could probably do night vision for that, and not need them at all. :)

I bought the lowest cost Stihl chainsaw today to keep in my 9, $178 for a MS170, 33cc 16" bar. It is not a locomotive, but it will cut whatever needed, just take a pinch longer. Truck gets hung up on a log, can cut your way out. If saw gets squished doing so, at least it is not an $800 pro level saw that I would be crying over.

74M35A2

If it's Wilton, at least you know it's built right to last.
Not sure if I am a big Wilton fan. They may be OK, I have never owned one. I beat the snot out of my Sears one with hammers and it has been fine for decades. This Wilson says "Made in China for Wilson". Ugh....

This was $150 on eBay. Wrecker ones are cool, but I didn't want to drive around with one on the bumper all the time, plus I like the space behind the front bumper to stand in and get up on top of the bumper/hood/winch if need be.

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

Came home from a short day at work to see what looked like radioactive monster blood on the driveway under my truck.. Coolant leak :(

It was dripping off of the rear of the oil pan.. I traced it back up to the topmost little hose that goes into the aftercooler. Very slow leak. At least it's something simple/easy. Guess I need to start searching for the part numbers for those 2 hoses. Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes them out of silicone?

On a slightly more positive note, at least I know the coolant isn't too bad looking. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the "mud" that I have seen pictures of on the forum lately. Its still going to be replaced when I install my block heater.

Also went ahead and emptied my wallet last night.. I ordered the heated Truck Lite headlights.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks