• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

Got the last double load of free wood. I think I am good for the winter. The Amish operate that sawmill and were kind enough to give me all that wood for dealing with some sawdust and long pieces. I gotta say that all of the Amish in my area are very kind people, and far from greedy. Just gotta give credit where it is due.

20161208_120248.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the last double load of free wood. I think I am good for the winter. The Amish operate that sawmill and were kind enough to give me all that wood for dealing with some sawdust and long pieces. I gotta say that all of the Amish in my area are very kind people, and far from greedy. Just gotta give credit where it is due.

View attachment 657168
Amish... did you have to load all that wood by hand? My back hurts just thinking about it. That is one cool set up you have there though!

gottaluvit

Amish... did you have to load all that wood by hand? My back hurts just thinking about it. That is one cool set up you have there though!
Thank you Jbulach. I really like them M1082 trailers and of course the M929A2. I keep one trailer covered for pallets from GL and parades and the other one has a cover but I doubt I will use it as I intended that trailer to be my dirty tool/workhorse. The Amish have lenient rules on what they can do for a living. The sawmill is all electric with some seriously large rough-terrain forklifts for moving logs around. They have a slick box built that attaches to the forklifts to convert it to a front end loader, and that is how they loaded me. The unload of the trailer is fairly easy as it's all downhill! I do it with my hands and a shovel. Keeps the 50 y.o. joints moving. Some of the Amish around here even have phones but it must be in a outhouse size shack so far from living quarters to avoid "convenience". A buddy of mine hauls some around that do home construction/improvements and they have all the modern power tools and the boss has indoor plumbing, but it must be pumped by a gasoline engine. Heck, the phone has an answering machine, so I suppose there is electric to the shack the phone is in.

Spyderman

Spyderman, do you mean a 5 ton? I'd like to get my kids 5 tons as daily drivers, if I ever have kids.
A 5 ton or an LMTV. My son loves my 5 ton. He is 2 and his job is to start it whenever we go somewhere in it. It's so cute. Only bad thing is when we go somewhere and they have military vehicles I have to tell him not to start them..

Sent from my webslinger!

71DeuceAK

Get him a M923A1 like yours! Or give him yours and get another one yourself! These are such neat trucks, I love everything about them for what they are, not what they aren't, and fully intend on getting myself one, possibly even as a first vehicle (18 y/o college student here) and daily driving it, wherever it will physically fit! My roommate bought one as a 14 year old, no joke, and daily drove an M35A2 for awhile in high school! We actually met through Steel Soldiers when I posted something on the recovery/mod thread about it, also a M923A1. Turned out we were so similar it was scary, same birthday, from the same places, etc. Still has it now, 6 years later. I'd love to go "meet" that truck someday, it kind of indirectly shaped a whole chapter of my life, in kind of a weird way. I've been told if I come visit him back home I can come drive it.

Agreed, though, start him young! He'll grow up loving these trucks, too.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the 5th tire broken down, cleaned the sealing surfaces and repainted them. I'm taking the time to do this right so I don't have to do this again down the road. One more to go...

20161211_064728.jpg

20161211_064812.jpg

Using this to paint the inside of the rim. Dries ultra hard with a high gloss for a good seal.

20161211_070700.jpg

Using this on the outside of the rim for easy touch-ups.

20161211_070924.jpg

New turret valve stems to replace the big bore stems used on the MRAP rims.

20161211_071221.jpg

120 new MIL spec wheel nuts.

20161211_065604.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang! New nuts and all; you mean business Swamp! Impressive!
Swamp don't play.
The majority of the rust on these rims was on the nuts and studs. The studs cleaned up fine but there wasn't a good way to clean the nuts. Found the new ones cheap and went with it. One of ya'll tire professionals needs to come break down that split ring rim for me, lol.

Nice! Where did you source the wheel nuts and cost each?
Can't divulge the source yet because I need to get some more first. There's only a limited quantity available from a military supplier that closed. Those 120 were $80 shipped.

infidel got me

I had a similar question and never got an answer on the radio thread.

Edit: With cell phones, is there an antenna that works with them...maybe internet?
Look under -- HOW TO MODIFY A MILITARY ANTENNA BASE FOR CB USE-- posted by The name is Fred. He posted a step by step article on how to do it. Even has pics. for slow people like me. hope this helps

tobyS

Look under -- HOW TO MODIFY A MILITARY ANTENNA BASE FOR CB USE-- posted by The name is Fred. He posted a step by step article on how to do it. Even has pics. for slow people like me. hope this helps
Actually, I'm not thinking CB. They seem rather obsolete with cell phones. Can cell phones have an exterior antenna? I'm sure it would help with FM reception.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any closer up pics of how and where you mounted it.
I have one sitting on my workbench but don't see a good place to stick it.
It is mounted on the right fender half bolted to the cab. The 2 bolts in front of my fingers use the existing fender support holes. The other 2 bolts will need holes drilled, along with the 2 lower support bolts. I'm sure there is a backing place or something for the lower support but I haven't made one yet.

20161211_094447.jpg

20161211_094454.jpg

20161211_094515.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got the 5th tire broken down, cleaned the sealing surfaces and repainted them. I'm taking the time to do this right so I don't have to do this again down the road. One more to go...

View attachment 657467

View attachment 657468

Using this to paint the inside of the rim. Dries ultra hard with a high gloss for a good seal.

View attachment 657470

Using this on the outside of the rim for easy touch-ups.

View attachment 657471

New turret valve stems to replace the big bore stems used on the MRAP rims.

View attachment 657472

120 new MIL spec wheel nuts.

View attachment 657469
Rednecks always say it best with Krylon.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Actually, I'm not thinking CB. They seem rather obsolete with cell phones. Can cell phones have an exterior antenna? I'm sure it would help with FM reception.
Yes i used to have the truck mounted antenna when I lived in montana that plugged into a little receptor pad that stuck to the back of the phone.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sure bring it here!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is a well I hate to stereotype but pretty much a user that comes thru Memphis *#*$**$*#(ent every so often and breaks down their split ring tires/wheels. I think he does em for like $3 ea and takes him about 2 minutes to have it broke down. He gets his $ and goes to get his next fix I assume.

Another Ahab

Last edited:

TCD

The majority of the rust on these rims was on the nuts and studs. The studs cleaned up fine but there wasn't a good way to clean the nuts. Found the new ones cheap and went with it. One of ya'll tire professionals needs to come break down that split ring rim for me, lol.

Can't divulge the source yet because I need to get some more first. There's only a limited quantity available from a military supplier that closed. Those 120 were $80 shipped.

Howdy,

Have you seen this method of rust removal? I have used it very successfully!

Electrolysis >>> Remember that this process gases off explosive hydrogen!

This is used on a chrome part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KA7wVTW1Oo

And...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOx5URgjTiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Any sacrificial steel will work but you want a large of an area as possible.

Good Luck!

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks