• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look good. I believe there's a rod that goes from the door through the jam and into the small vent door on the side. You can add a piece of rubber to the end to take up some room so it doesn't open quite so far. A piece may have been there originally but corroded over time.
Thanks! Yes, the limiting rod is there, but allows the door to extend into my mirrors, just like on my Deuce. The limiting snubber I added does just the trick for me.

sandcobra164

Helped a friend install an inner axle seal on the passenger side of an M923. It's just like a deuce with the exception of air brakes and everything being a good bit heavier.

redneck20

Found a pair of NEW air-ride seats for M915A4 trucks in Phoenix, AZ, that a guy was selling...he originally bought them out of OK City from GL for his Deuce, but ended up selling his Deuce and kept the seats. The price was worth the all-day drive down there, only spent $150 in fuel. They were still in the plastic wrapping & bolted to the pallet they were shipped on, but both were passenger-side seats. Once I got them home I was able to disassemble one and swap the parts to the opposite side for driver's position use....the only iffy spot was on the upper cover, the top 3-point seatbelt mount required a hole to be cut over the left shoulder side, and the original hole was left open. But other than that it was pretty straight-forward to swap all the controls over for driver's side use.

I used 4 of the 6 original bolt mounting locations from the stock seat; one of the original bolt holes I removed the captive nut and installed an air line bulkhead fitting. I removed one of the 1/2-inch plugs from the secondary tank under the passenger side of the cab, and tapped in 1/4-inch nylon Parker air line. I had to drill 2 new holes in the right side of the new seat base to match the stock seats' 14-inch bolt hole centers, then welded in some 1/4-inch steel stock on the left side of the new base to match up with the other 2 stock captive nut locations. I cut the floor mat to better fit the new seat base as well as the fuel tank selector switch.

Today I fired her up and pressure-checked her; the new seat works GREAT!! What a HUGE difference it makes, much more comfortable and safe as well. I love it!

View attachment 484929
I was at that guys house last week looking at some stuff, he still had 2 more seats left, I almost bought them but he'll only sell as a pair and I only wanted one

MO MV man

Mud Flaps and a drive.....

My M931A2 came with mud flaps behind the passenger seat but one was tweaked and it's mounting bracket was mangled.
Some quality time with the torch, some paint and now I have flaps.

Gotta say, I love the look with those big things in place.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M931A2 came with mud flaps behind the passenger seat but one was tweaked and it's mounting bracket was mangled.
Some quality time with the torch, some paint and now I have flaps.

Gotta say, I love the look with those big things in place.
Nice looking truck, good job with the mudflap brackets!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at that guys house last week looking at some stuff, he still had 2 more seats left, I almost bought them but he'll only sell as a pair and I only wanted one
They're well worth it for the price he's asking...you could always sell the unused seat from the pair and recover most of your cash. I'm measuring up my own battery box now so I can install the other seat where the batteries currently are.

Dead Reckoning

Relocated the batteries (2) to the toolbox under the passenger door. Also removed the crew seat and the floor mats... no rust!!!!
The cables were long enoug if routed under the frame and away from the exhaust. Also found 2 spent 50 BMG cases, and $.40 cents lol behind the crew seat.

SUPERSPORT

Changed both fuel filters. $80 from napa. A real pain to prime system back up. Guess its not a good idea to let an m923a2 get down to 1/4 a tank of fuel.

Dukeman

Removed Semi Hitch, installed trailer bed, extended frame, installed rv 5th wheel hitch. This truck stays down at the lake and pulls toys through the sand. We got jealous of the cargo beds and the hauling capacity of the other trucks so we decided to look for a trailer bed so we could put the kids and the wives in the back and cruise around the lake. Still have some bracing to do inside the frame extension, reinstall the lights, mount the tow hooks and mud flaps, that kind of stuff. We had a good friend do the welds. He is a professional, do not try this at home. We will be pulling 5th wheel trailers behind this and the extension had to be capable of handling the weight. Really happy with the way this is going.

If anyone has need of the Semi Hitch, rails, ramps, spare tire hoist, etc. Let me know. I have a dock and can ship.

Attachments

Artisan

Removed Semi Hitch, installed trailer bed, extended frame, installed rv 5th wheel hitch. This truck stays down at the lake and pulls toys through the sand. We got jealous of the cargo beds and the hauling capacity of the other trucks so we decided to look for a trailer bed so we could put the kids and the wives in the back and cruise around the lake. Still have some bracing to do inside the frame extension, reinstall the lights, mount the tow hooks and mud flaps, that kind of stuff. We had a good friend do the welds. He is a professional, do not try this at home. We will be pulling 5th wheel trailers behind this and the extension had to be capable of handling the weight. Really happy with the way this is going.

If anyone has need of the Semi Hitch, rails, ramps, spare tire hoist, etc. Let me know. I have a dock and can ship.

What will the tongue weight be for the trailer you are going to tow?
If it is very light I think you will be ok but the combination of a
cantilevered design w/ tongue weight can cause the front wheels
of the tractor to become light and possible unresponsive. It
effects the braking as well.

I do not know of any 5th wheel manufacturer who would recommend
installing a 5th wheel plate anywhere rear of centerline of bogie
from centerline of kingpin. Case and point, My m916 has
the kingpin forward of rear bogie CL by 8" .

Your install will substantially increase the rear axle weight as well.

Not to burst your bubble or trash u, just be safe and perhaps tow lighter loads only .

But it is cool!

Dukeman

Artisan, the RV's will never be towed over the road with the 5 ton set up. It will only tow them through the sand down to lakeside, maybe a 1/4 mile at the most. I am anxious to see what the tongue weight of the RV 5th Wheel will do to the rear axle of the 5 ton, but I'm willing to bet 750 lbs., even 4 feet back of the rear tire is not going to have much effect. Last night we heated up the forge and custom bent some 1/4 steel plates to brace the inside of the frame extension to give it more side to side stability. Got the rear lights and tow hooks mounted.

redneck20

Artisan, the RV's will never be towed over the road with the 5 ton set up. It will only tow them through the sand down to lakeside, maybe a 1/4 mile at the most. I am anxious to see what the tongue weight of the RV 5th Wheel will do to the rear axle of the 5 ton, but I'm willing to bet 750 lbs., even 4 feet back of the rear tire is not going to have much effect. Last night we heated up the forge and custom bent some 1/4 steel plates to brace the inside of the frame extension to give it more side to side stability. Got the rear lights and tow hooks mounted.
Do you have any more detailed pics of how the hitch is mounted recessed into the frame? I'm curious

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks