• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

plode

I drove mine to Home Depot to pick up some mulch that was on sale. Our local MUA sells mulch at the same price, but we have to shovel it out of my dads truck into wheel barrels, it's crappy mulch, and we have to take 4 trips. We got an entire pallet load that is the equivalent of 6 truck loads from the MUA) from Home Depot(60 100lb bags). Had them fork lift it right into the bed(much easier than lifting them individually). Truck rode much smoother with the load in the bed. Don't know why the picture is blurry.

DD779B87-90D3-4A57-9845-CC181573D60B_zpskiqqiys3.jpg

LiqTenEXp

Greased all the fittings
Mounted my battery charger in the battery box
swapped the cargo cover for a newer one (other one is for sale)
added a fire extinguisher to put in the mount the truck came with
Mounted the front license plate (thanks NJ)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
While it is quite fun to do that the 5 ton does not have any undercarriage protection and the weight of the vehicle doing the will easily tear tires on sharp car parts. I have a large sidewall gash in a tire luckily I have several spares.
Will

PureMayhem

I Super glued the stitching on my soft top to make it last a little longer.
I titled and registered my truck as an FMV. It took about an hour and the clerk did need to call Austin. I was able to use the last 7 digits of my bumper number as my license number. I am now legal to drive in Texas. Yahoo!

capnkirk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397357786.752742.jpg Started process of replacing CTIS and axle seals. I thought I had everything but I got the wrong part for the outer CTIS seal. Bought one from ebay but it'll have to sit until the mailman brings it. First time tearing into an axle. Might as well service the brakes while I'm in there I guess. Tried to cover it up. Supposed to have storms tomorrow.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Artisan, the RV's will never be towed over the road with the 5 ton set up. It will only tow them through the sand down to lakeside, maybe a 1/4 mile at the most. I am anxious to see what the tongue weight of the RV 5th Wheel will do to the rear axle of the 5 ton, but I'm willing to bet 750 lbs., even 4 feet back of the rear tire is not going to have much effect. Last night we heated up the forge and custom bent some 1/4 steel plates to brace the inside of the frame extension to give it more side to side stability. Got the rear lights and tow hooks mounted.
That should work at low speeds on FLAT ground, but if there are any dips or mounds, the hitch up and down movement will be very accentuated, so go very slow. As the rear wheels rise above the front, the rear of the trailer will approach dragging on the ground. You may be OK, but have someone watching as you go over rough ground so you don't damage the trailer.

usmcm35a2

Got 2 GM bucket seats with 3 point seat belt's installed, moved the 4 batteries to 2 tool box's on passenger side. This entailed removing interior battery box, passenger side fuel tank, lines, selector valve from cab. Much smoother ride now. Replace 1 rim o ring.

DIndFab

Got 2 GM bucket seats with 3 point seat belt's installed, moved the 4 batteries to 2 tool box's on passenger side. This entailed removing interior battery box, passenger side fuel tank, lines, selector valve from cab. Much smoother ride now. Replace 1 rim o ring.
Any pics of the install or finished product?

DIndFab

Will be getting an m923/25a2 sometime in the hopefully near future. Until then I'm reading this and many other threads everyday! And I've been printing off the TM's to have hard copy's that will stay with the truck. Many 1000's of pages but I like paper copies of manuals.

Dukeman

Finished her up yesterday

Finished up the project yesterday with some paint and some stars. She is ready to go down to the lake. We had not used the starboard fuel tank in a while and when we filled it up we had some fuel leaks. Replaced the fuel lines from the transfer switch and good to go. I get to transport her and my boat 150 miles on Wed. Back to the deep sand where she does her work.

Attachments

plode

Painted the second coat on the drivers side fender today. Took the truck for a spin after the paint dried, and then got my shirt caught on the door handle when I was jumping out, and tore a hole in my shirt :(

jwesley74

Adding a winch from '83 AM General 925 to our 923A2. Sold the 925 a few months back and the buyer doesn't use the winch for his application. So he sold us the whole assembly, tank, brackets, hoses, linkages etc off of it for $800. Just got the winch on the frame extensions yesterday. Didn't realize missing the brackets for the PTO pump and linkage. Buyer just removed the brackets today from the donor truck and getting them Saturday from him. Should be complete next week. Replacing old hydraulic lines in the process of the install. Here's a pic of the fresh install.

0415141552.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished up the project yesterday with some paint and some stars. She is ready to go down to the lake. We had not used the starboard fuel tank in a while and when we filled it up we had some fuel leaks. Replaced the fuel lines from the transfer switch and good to go. I get to transport her and my boat 150 miles on Wed. Back to the deep sand where she does her work.
Looks great! I'd love to hear how she does while towing your 5th wheel, please be sure to give us an after-action report!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks