• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a M931A1 about 16 months ago that had been sitting for 3 years at Camp Shelby, and CSMDavis got it running and drove it to his yard where it sat for about 6 months. We tried to start it again last summer, and while trying to start for about 15-20 min, magic smoke began to be released, so we decided it probably needed a starter and had fuel issues so I flat towed it home. It sat by my barn for about 8 months until I could get around to it.

I retired last month, so I finally have time to play with my toys. I put 2 decent batteries in the truck so I could jump it without frying the alternator. Before jumping, to make sure the 2 batteries were hooked correctly, I flipped the battery switch on and the gauges came to life with the batteries reading in the green. Figured what the H, so turned on the starter switch to see if it would click and I was shocked that it started immediately and purred smoothly like it had been running yesterday rather than 16 months ago!! This was only the 2nd time it has been started in over 5 years! I thought the group wisdom (born out by my M818's and other M931s) that the NHC250's really needed 4 good batteries to start, so I really didn't expect the truck to actually start!! :shock::shock: It looks like I won't have to part it out after all :)

MtnSnow

Installed a hardtop I was able to pickup for a great price and was unused but lightly abused in the years it got moved around in storage barns/warehouses etc.. Also got my new tires installed on the front and fixed the leaking turret valve (valve stem) on a used rim/tire combo I picked up while getting the hardtop and M105A2 trailer from MarkMontana's yard sell that ended up not happening as he got everything sold before the weekend! lol
IMG_20140419_194451216.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a M931A1 about 16 months ago that had been sitting for 3 years at Camp Shelby, and CSMDavis got it running and drove it to his yard where it sat for about 6 months. We tried to start it again last summer, and while trying to start for about 15-20 min, magic smoke began to be released, so we decided it probably needed a starter and had fuel issues so I flat towed it home. It sat by my barn for about 8 months until I could get around to it.

I retired last month, so I finally have time to play with my toys. I put 2 decent batteries in the truck so I could jump it without frying the alternator. Before jumping, to make sure the 2 batteries were hooked correctly, I flipped the battery switch on and the gauges came to life with the batteries reading in the green. Figured what the H, so turned on the starter switch to see if it would click and I was shocked that it started immediately and purred smoothly like it had been running yesterday rather than 16 months ago!! This was only the 2nd time it has been started in over 5 years! I thought the group wisdom (born out by my M818's and other M931s) that the NHC250's really needed 4 good batteries to start, so I really didn't expect the truck to actually start!! :shock::shock: It looks like I won't have to part it out after all :)
Glad to hear that you were able to salvage your M931A1! It would be a shame to part her out...I hope you get many good years out of her.

The more I work on my M931A2, the more I get attached to her...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a hardtop I was able to pickup for a great price and was unused but lightly abused in the years it got moved around in storage barns/warehouses etc.. Also got my new tires installed on the front and fixed the leaking turret valve (valve stem) on a used rim/tire combo I picked up while getting the hardtop and M105A2 trailer from MarkMontana's yard sell that ended up not happening as he got everything sold before the weekend! lol
View attachment 489443
Nice hardtop!! They really improve the driving experience, especially in inclement weather.

Sorry I couldn't help you with the seats in Phoenix; I feel bad for letting you down.

MtnSnow

Silverstate,
No worries on the seat(s). I picked up a bostrom from MarkMontana as well as the other items I got from him.... I just now need to figure out a mounting system for it as it's just the seat. I think I can figure out a mount and still use the stock spring base.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the winch PTO to included all new gaskets, studs, washers and lock nuts this Saturday. Pretty tight tolerances when putting on the side nuts. I installed the linkage, shift lever and neutral lock during the week, so the clevis rod from the PTO shift lever just needed to be adjusted and pinned in place. Fired up the truck and we have rotation in in all gears. Now for the bummer; the driveshaft supplied is an M39-series...too shortaua:doh:. So, I either get the one I have lengthened or drum up a new one.

I recently bought all the pieces to make my '71 M813A1 a W/W also.... Any helpful tidbits you'd like to share on the process?
I unspooled the cable for easier handling. It's neatly coiled up on the driveway. I replaced all bolts with grade 8 to include new washers and lock washers. Like everything else on these truck, heavy. I was able to transfer the winch to a furniture dolly which made it easier to move about the garage and driveway.

I rented a tow-able engine hoist ($24 for 24hr rental
[thumbzup]) to aid in installation and to handle the bumper. Four 5/8" eye bolts, two clevis hooks and two engine lifting chains to sling it.
SDC12335.jpg

1) Remove bumper,
SDC12336.jpg

2) bolt on extensions,
SDC12339.jpg

3) set winch on extensions and bolt everything in place,
SDC12340.jpg

4) re install bumper.
SDC12342.jpg

The heavy and hard part is done. The bumper was actually harder to deal with than the winch. Kind of like it had a mind of its own particularly during re-installation.

Careful with the captive nuts on the frame extensions. I stripped two of them, but luckily they are end ones. I was able to get longer bolts and secure with new lock nuts.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, all you need now is a level wind. Hmmm...I think I know someone who has it in his garage...just can't think of who at the moment.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my first M-146 today and hooked it up to my M931A1. After taking care of the dust bunnies I went through the wiring and got everything in order to road travel. A sweet looking rig, even came with a copy of the "Barracks Life" circa 1980. rofl
I love the M146, wish there were more around here. Watch out with the big tires hitting your landing gear feet in the turns. You might want to keep them 6-8 inches off the ground rather than cranked all the way up.

k5ontherocks

I'm considering a straight pipe in the future. Is it alot louder at idle/low rpm? I go to work kinda early just trying to be semi respectful to my neighbors
Yes, its louder. I cant get my sound clip to upload. If you look on the " who has bumped up the power...." thread theres a few cliips of guys with sound. IIRC theres also sound clips on the " weekend project straight pipe" thread. Louder,but im not sure annoyingly loud.

MO MV man

After doing my straight pipe, I asked a couple folks in town their opinion of my truck's new sound.
Because I definitely didn't want anyone angry about me driving it.
They both responded with "no louder than the local fire trucks" and that it is FAR from an annoying level.

And my wife even responded with, "it's not loud at all", when I asked her opinion of the new sound as I'd leave the driveway.

My neighbors say is sounds a LOT like my old whistler deuce when it idles now.
VERY deep at idle. Not loud at all.

It is quite a bit louder in the cab, though.

Last edited:

zxmedic

After months of work rebuilding brakes , front axle ,installing a new front harness and more to come I got out and worked my truck today .
Last picture we are moving roof sections .

uploadfromtaptalk1398313442105.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398313459313.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398313849888.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398313945201.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398313962561.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398313987470.jpg

whiskey357

Banned
took my m932a1 to paint shop 5 gallons later nice blue with striping on front and sides of cab.......had the wheels and brakes redone...2 bad wheel cyds on rear right side.......gettingleds on line to change all of them to leds...should be fun...nice paint job

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks