• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received 2 reverse light kits from another SS member. I didn't put them on yet but did some planning. I'm thinking about putting one light on the rear driver's side just below the brake light. I think I'll run another circuit and mount one light on the spare tire davit to light the cargo area.

Does anyone have just one light as a reverse light? I may install both if needed.

I also did some online shopping for a backup camera.
I have just one. It activates through an air/electric switch pressurized via the reverse air line for the transfer case sprag declutching cylinder. It's merely for reversing safety and I don't use it as a spot light.

DSC_0543-3.jpg

Bighurt

View attachment 534500View attachment 534501View attachment 534502

Finally finished installing all my new 1600r20 michelin tires on the m925a1. My old 1400's had major flat spots and were all chewed up and it used to ride like a bucking bronco. After the 1600's were put on it rides alot smoother and doesn't buck at all like it used to.

I installed these tires myself along with the help with a couple friends and let me tell you it is not easy. There are a couple of tricks I figured out while doing them and by about the 5th tire I got pretty good at it. Getting the rims to come off is easiest if you pour some ATF around the bead. That helped alot with getting the rims to separate. To get the beadlockers out is easiest with a forklift and a strap. Hook the strap to the rubber ring and just go to town shaking it up and down and it pops out. Going back in with it is easist with long prybars and a big hammer. The rest is pretty easy, just get the larger piece of the rim on the tire and lay it down on a 5 gallon bucket and set the smaller rim piece on and bolt it down.

It was a pain but much better than paying someone else to it!
Any problems with the 1600's? I'm about to upgrade my 925 from G177's and am torn between 1400 and 1600.

74M35A2

I received 2 reverse light kits from another SS member. I didn't put them on yet but did some planning. I'm thinking about putting one light on the rear driver's side just below the brake light. I think I'll run another circuit and mount one light on the spare tire davit to light the cargo area.

Does anyone have just one light as a reverse light? I may install both if needed.

I also did some online shopping for a backup camera.
Your timing is coincidental. I just cut in my reverse lights and back-up alarm to my M925A2 last night. I went with 4" grommet mount 24V LED's. Did the Allison reverse pressure switch on the trans also. Will have 2 switches in dash, each with 3 positions for the back up lights and reverse alarm: Off, Auto, and On, Auto meaning comes on when in reverse. A side note here is that the truck will have to be running for the functions to work correctly in Auto as the trans switch is driven by trans hydraulic pressure, unlike a car.

Running a 4" hole saw through steel is a ridiculous job. I should have paid my high school neighbor kid $10/hr to do it. It can bring even a Milwaukee 1/2" drill down to a stall when you lean on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Added a 12V slave port, mostly to jump my own cars/boats/whatever's if dead. Will connect to one battery and label it as 12V. My slave cable has a NATO single pin on one end, and heavy duty alligator clips on the other, as I don't own any other MV's or gen sets, but the clips would work if need be with any 12V or 24V system. Needs paint to match.

Attachments

Amer-team

Took some automotive scratch polish and polished up the taillight lenses. They had overspray and were generally dull in appearance. Soft cloth and within a few minutes had the paint off and had a nice polish on the lense. They are not new, but they started out a 3 and are now a 7 to 8. Make sure that you have them clean first so you are not polishing the dirt and grit back into the lens.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I modified my air cleaner housing to use a smaller diameter filter in hopes of getting better airflow to my engine. The air cleaner indicator in the cab always shows a restriction after a drive so I know that it's not getting enough air. I used a Baldwin RS3548. And my dog Riley gave me the seal of approval after a sniff.
20150126_093854.jpg20150126_093918.jpg20150126_093934.jpg

74M35A2

I modified my air cleaner housing to use a smaller diameter filter in hopes of getting better airflow to my engine. The air cleaner indicator in the cab always shows a restriction after a drive so I know that it's not getting enough air. I used a Baldwin RS3548. And my dog Riley gave me the seal of approval after a sniff.
View attachment 539161View attachment 539162View attachment 539163
Please report back with the results. I am hearing mixed reviews on if it improves or not. I have been meaning to do such test with a digital vacuum gauge (MAP sensor), but just haven't done it yet. Thanks.

74M35A2

Made a hitch step for the rear of my M925A2. Harbor Freight sells a hitch plate insert to mount a vice or small winch to, that I simply rounded the corners on and glued a piece of wet/dry 60 grit sandpaper to. There is nothing to stand on at the rear of the truck if you simply want to reach over the tailgate and grab something, or even if trying to hop up and into the bed with the gate up. I do have a conventional 2"x2" civilian frame hitch installed. So, if not wanting to drop the gate everytime, such as my lazy self, especially with the cargo cover on, this may just be what the doctor ordered. I think it will do exactly what I want. Installed pic to follow later tonight, but here is what we have so far for $20 total investment (don't forget your 20% off coupon). Apology if something similar has already been posted, this was just a matter of spontaneity:

Step1.jpg

Step2.jpg

Alexsha

Please report back with the results. I am hearing mixed reviews on if it improves or not. I have been meaning to do such test with a digital vacuum gauge (MAP sensor), but just haven't done it yet. Thanks.
I really want to do this, but I don't have welding equipment. ThoseMilitaryGuys has a nice fit in cage, but I need to scrape up $55 for that and more $ for a new filter. This is a pricey hobby. lol

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't driven it since but I will know immediately if it helped by watching the indicator. It always showed a restriction before and I knew it was a clean filter.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really want to do this, but I don't have welding equipment. ThoseMilitaryGuys has a nice fit in cage, but I need to scrape up $55 for that and more $ for a new filter. This is a pricey hobby. lol
Yes it's a pricey hobby. I had to do it on the wife's truck too! Everything costs me twice as much!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks