• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Block heater installed. (It's now 60 out during the day of course)
Got the fittings and valves installed for a coolant filter. And the filter and base are on the passenger seat. Maybe next weekend.
Yeah, but now you can look at it as being one year ahead, instead of one month behind! [thumbzup]

Because all you have to do is wait:

- Another winter is coming.

ke5eua

Did a little painting today. Before the hate comments pour in, my wife, the one I have to please, chose the color. Going to take some 80 grit to it tomorrow and bondo the entire piece to smooth it out. We wanted to see what the color would look like before we invested the time and money into the entire truck. I'm using the paint shop system from Dupli-Color. It's a 3 part system, prime, base, clear. Applies real nice, just cost 25 bucks a can and it only comes in 1 qt quantities. Color is midnight blue.

Primer

20150401_185544.jpg

Painted

20150401_190943.jpg

20150401_190958.jpg

20150401_191109.jpg

Another Ahab

Did a little painting today. Before the hate comments pour in, my wife, the one I have to please, chose the color. Going to take some 80 grit to it tomorrow and bondo the entire piece to smooth it out. We wanted to see what the color would look like before we invested the time and money into the entire truck. I'm using the paint shop system from Dupli-Color. It's a 3 part system, prime, base, clear. Applies real nice, just cost 25 bucks a can and it only comes in 1 qt quantities. Color is midnight blue.
ke5eua, I got no problem with the color. Looks great.

Snowtiger

Well it was an awesome day my cab cover and box cover showed up from the good old US of A and thought I would post a before and after, Im not a professional photographer so I appologize if there not Great. I wanted to show the new cab cover in the back of my truck and the tan origional. Then of course the finished product, I will post the box cover next week when it's done.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

Another Ahab

Well it was an awesome day my cab cover and box cover showed up from the good old US of A and thought I would post a before and after, Im not a professional photographer so I appologize if there not Great.
It looks great! But you know it's funny, I like the tan cover just as much as the camo cover; either one looks good to me. Your truck looks great.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always wanted a boarding ladder but one of my biggest annoyances is having to let the tailgate down to do anything in the bed. I found this aluminum ladder at my surplus place and figured it'd be the best of both worlds, a boarding ladder that didn't require dropping the tailgate.

I'm not sure what it originally went to (maybe somebody knows) but it was the perfect height. It has 4 hooks but they don't line up with anything on the tailgate. I used a couple of strategically placed eyebolts to make attachment points. The eyebolts don't really have to support any weight, they just keep it from sliding. I'm working on side stowage so I don't have to keep it in the bed.

IMG_20150402_134527_719.jpg

IMG_20150402_134601_930.jpg

I also installed the windshield wiper silencers. I used some vaccum line from the exhaust port and ran it along the top of the windshield frame. I just tucked the ends under the front right corner of the soft top so the air and noise exits outside the cab. I can't even hear them running while driving now. Not sure why they didn't do this from the factory. It was hard to take a picture with the sun shining through, but you get the idea.

IMG_20150402_140526_621.jpg

ke5eua

So I had posted earlier this week about painting the truck a midnight blue color. We figured out how much paint would be needed after painting the one section and figured I would be about 400 bucks just into paint.

So took a trip to home Depot today and got some Vietnam era brown mixed up. At right at 40 bucks a gallon I'm looking at possibly 160 total in paint.

Got home and put roughly 10 oz in my hvlp gun and went to town. Paint lasted a whole lot longer than I expected.

You will see the difference in rustoleum camouflage brown and the paint I got today.

I scoured through the paint threads and found one member who got an exact match for behr using rapco paint.

I couldn't be happier with the results.

uploadfromtaptalk1428191158521.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191184794.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191203563.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191225110.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191244814.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191286669.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191306464.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428191323878.jpg

Another Ahab

I'm not sure what it originally went to (maybe somebody knows) but it was the perfect height. It has 4 hooks but they don't line up with anything on the tailgate. I used a couple of strategically placed eyebolts to make attachment points. The eyebolts don't really have to support any weight, they just keep it from sliding. I'm working on side stowage so I don't have to keep it in the bed.
That ladder works out like a charm.

And I like the ring on the pintle hitch. Nice scale; that's a boss look.

pintle.jpg

Last edited:

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on a few things the last couple of weeks. I have installed locking door handles, battery cutoff switch, backup lights and a hitch. The only thing I have pics of is the hitch and lights.

20150403_155323a.jpg

MtnSnow

My wife and I drove the Beast and Beast II to Ogden for a basically the first car show of the season. We drove up early and had commercial tire do some tire rotating (between both trucks) along with fixing a bad wheel seal and loose turret valve in the same wheel. We finished up at just the right time to drive the last half mile to the get into our parking spots for the car show. We did the car show along with Gunzy and our normal group of vehicle enthusiasts. Gunzy did bring his Bricklin so the Beast & Beast II were the only Military vehicles at the show today.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ladder works out like a charm.

And I like the ring on the pintle hitch. Nice scale; that's a boss look.

View attachment 552054
Thanks. The ring is an 1-1/2" G100 oblong sling masterlink. It fits nice and snug in the pintle and makes it a better attachment point for hooking chains and such to the pintle. My truck has to do double duty as a tractor so I'm always pulling something: stumps, trees, stuck vehicles........singlewide trailers :whistle:.

I might have to make a video of the last one...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks