• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

smurph

Fellow member SMURPH and I took our trucks to First Friday in Gadsden, AL the other night. Met a lot of folks that really liked the trucks.
A couple of other pics from the event. Another nice M923 came in that belongs to a fellow SS member. Trying to find his username at the moment...

FirstFriday1.jpgFirstFriday2.jpg

Richard is cooling his heals here, but didn't stay that way long! The trucks drew a crowd and we spent most of the evening talking and educating. We ended up raising the hoods and I opened up the rear doors on the M934. EVERYONE wants to know what is in the box! :) I halfway wish I towed the MEP-005 along to light it up.

It was a nice evening but weather was moving in. I had about a 1.5 hr. trip back and ended up in a hail storm about 15 minutes from home. Fortunately, I had previously learned to bring towels along for the ride to keep the windshield defogged. Made it home safely with no issues at all.

We had a great time and I can't wait to do it again.

Snowtiger

Finally installed my cargo cover, after I just did the cab. It was allot of fun enjoyed the new experience. I'm a bit nervous posting these pictures as sure enough one of the experts is going to say, " it's on backwards" or "OMG" what did you do. Lol so please go easy on the rookie, BUT constructive criticism is always welcome. God bless
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

cx65083

Got those two brand new, great BIG, HEAVY 8D batteries squeezed into the battery boxes! Thank god for the engine crane! She cranks over with a quickness now.

Now to get to work on the bows and tarp, and to figure out how I'm going to install a power outlet for Cell Phone and GPS charging duties...

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Finally installed my cargo cover, after I just did the cab. It was allot of fun enjoyed the new experience. I'm a bit nervous posting these pictures as sure enough one of the experts is going to say, " it's on backwards" or "OMG" what did you do. Lol so please go easy on the rookie, BUT constructive criticism is always welcome. God bless
Hey. Snow tiger, I'm no expert by a longshot, but I think it looks great:

- And always keep in mind that there were experts who called the HMS Titanic "unsinkable".

Capehenery

Fixed the fuel gauge on the truck by replacing the float on the sending unit. A good friend pointed out that it is the exact same float bulb from a 1965 Ford Mustang.
Less than $5 to fix and took all of 10 min. A big thank you to Robert.

Plane Fast

I changed out my M923a2 fluids today. I did not really have to on the differentials or transmission. They looked almost new! But I did start the switch over to Dexron III for the trans.

The only thing ugly was the rear axle had these small chucks of metal buried in the dran plug fuzzies. Looked the gears over best I could with a borescope. Did not see the first sign of scoring. Maybe some thing in the spider gear?

Oh and be careful with harbor freight tools! I bought a hand pump for the 5 gal gear oil buckets. It was full of metal shavings! Took an hour to dissemble, clean and reassemble.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

The only thing ugly was the rear axle had these small chucks of metal buried in the dran plug fuzzies. Looked the gears over best I could with a borescope. Did not see the first sign of scoring. Maybe some thing in the spider gear?
Could be leftovers from an earlier repair.

Another Ahab

Oh and be careful with harbor freight tools! I bought a hand pump for the 5 gal gear oil buckets. It was full of metal shavings! Took an hour to dissemble, clean and reassemble.
Can't remember who it was here in some other thread recently who came up with the name "Hazard Fright" for Harbor Freight, but he wasn't far off the mark from what you're saying.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks