• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Capehenery

Installed the troop cover the correct way this time:cookoo:
Sewed the rear window in so the zipper is not just hanging there. and looking for another zipper for the front window.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally wired up the Sigtronics intercom to be able to transmit / receive over the GMRS radios. Trail rides got easier.

tucker79

Found a bleeder open a little sucking air just before the filter.Running so much better now! Gotta check the little stuff 1st
I know the veterans get a little tired of the newbie questions But I've been searching and reading everything I can including all my TMs & all 207 pgs of this thread for over a yr and learned in 1 hr chatting on here that my data plates were wrong and Iv been calling my M818 I think a M52 as the data plate states since I got it last summer. I knew something wasn't right cause I saw no other M52s with NHC 250 and no I wont ask where my fuel screw is.
Big Thanks to the guys(gimpyrobb, swbradley1 & others) that take some time for the new guys we cant carry on this knowledge without you, the next generation wasn't around when these trucks were in use so subtle differences in pics and reading post can be easily missed.
Communication is how we evolve, develop new ideas and gain knowledge
Thanks again

Last edited:
Found a bleeder open a little sucking air just before the filter.Running so much better now! Gotta check the little stuff 1st
I know the veterans get a little tired of the newbie questions But I've been searching and reading everything I can including all my TMs & all 207 pgs of this thread for over a yr and learned in 1 hr chatting on here that my data plates were wrong and Iv been calling my M809 a M52 as the data plate states since I got it last summer. I knew something wasn't right cause I saw no other M52s with NHC 250 and no I wont ask where my fuel screw is.
Big Thanks to the guys(gimpyrobb, swbradley1 & others) that take some time for the new guys we cant carry on this knowledge without you, the next generation wasn't around when these trucks were in use so subtle differences in pics and reading post can be easily missed.
Thanks again
Did you buy it from a private party? Wondering how the data plates were wrong?

Carlo

I know the veterans get a little tired of the newbie questions But I've been searching and reading everything I can including all my TMs & all 207 pgs of this thread for over a yr and learned in 1 hr chatting on here that my data plates were wrong and Iv been calling my M818 I think a M52 as the data plate states since I got it last summer. I knew something wasn't right cause I saw no other M52s with NHC 250 and no I wont ask where my fuel screw is.
Thanks again
All of us including the veterans were new at this site at one time. There are allot of good people on this site with patience, and knowledge to help you including me.
Post some photos of your truck when you can.

tucker79

All of us including the veterans were new at this site at one time. There are allot of good people on this site with patience, and knowledge to help you including me.
Post some photos of your truck when you can.
No doubt about that!Its one of the only places I post. Its was the same comradery with the sailing community when I lived on my 32 CnC
1419542133052.jpgKIMG0045.jpgThinking M818 or it is now. Got it from a construction Co going out of busness. They did have two 5 tons and had a full time painter that painted all the old cranes and every other piece of iron there ( I wonder switched) Lots of cool old stuff and they took good care of my truck for me.1979 M52a1 on the dash, Albamy GA rebuild tags all over 1990 Standard C.R.M now 1200 hrs Thank you , Detroit locker tag on door and title and a NHC 250 under the hood????Not sure but the engine looks much newer than the rest of the drivetrain???? The cab seems to have the same yrs/rust on it as the rest They had pretty impressive SHOP. Bunch of old school machanics out a job SAD
1419977853466.jpgIv got a M54 in recovery So I got another truck to learn Happy fathers day/ birthday to me.
Only kids I got are made of iron
RIP DAD 4/27/15 He had a old mv skidding logs up moutains of New England when I was a baby Hed say WHATS CANT

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Donor truck engine install

Assisted in installing an Cummins 400 in the donor M936, see thread #2027. Lots of work for 2 guys but got in done in an afternoon. Can't wait to here it running. Lots of custom fab work to do now.

Attachments

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally fixed the oil pressure gauge.

The connection to the sending unit was dirty enough that the gauge went straight to 120 on power up. Actually works now.

machinist75

Removed the #5 cylinder and the busted liner. That thing was a real PITA, had to fab a liner puler because the plan of an aluminum rod with a hammer didn't work out like I wanted it too. You can see in the pics the amount that broke off from the bottom, right at the last oring groove. Now to put it all back together, trying to get it running for the Sachse 4th of July parade.

Attachments

smurph

Had a blast at amateur radio field day! Three green toys were deployed.

fd1.jpgfd4.jpg
The M934 and MEP-005A powering the van body.

fd5.jpgfd2.jpg
The inside where it was nice and cool!!! The nose of the truck was pointed a bit up hill and the condensate from the AC was running back into the van! We were producing about 1/2 gal of condensate every half hour in the 95 degree heat and high humidity.

fd3.jpg
The AB-1386/U. Its first deployment. I bought it in a state of disrepair and I managed to get the repairs done at 1:00 the previous morning. Worked like a charm! If any of you are thinking about getting one of these masts, make sure that it is in working condition unless you are a machinist or know someone that is! Next year, the mast will be mounted on the truck for an additional 5 ft. of elevation and quicker deployment.

Running the AC, lights, and radios drew 6KW of power from the MEP-005A. I could do with a much smaller gen set. The gen set did, however, perform flawlessly. It did a 24 hour straight run with an additional 2 hours on the load bank to get rid of the wet stacking. I ran it at 50Hz to save fuel and noise. 3/4 gallons an hour fuel usage at that 6Kw load.

Vintage iron

This has been a busy week for me. I am almost done putting a Big Cam turbo Cummins in my M936. I found a rebuilt Cummins 290, added a bigger turbo, block heater, dual fuel lines, remote oil filter, rebuilt and turned up the wrecker injection pump, changed oil pans, installed the tranmission, made a custom fan support, made brackets to rotate the tranmission cooler, custom expansion tank mount, custom power steering set up, 5" air intake and that is just what I did to the engine.

Added a 1 3/8 body lift, made a new front motor mount support, lifted the hood supports. Well there is still more to do. I hope to have it running by the 4th. If you want to see pictures you will need to check them out at A&H Recon shop on FB.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks