• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

NovacaineFix

Field stripped and repaired my poppet valves on a picnic bench for the M818.

Went offroading to get to the SoCal Rally that Blendmaster hosted and apparently got some water/sand/crud in the vent hole that made it's way into the air valve.
Caused the truck to lose air and we all know, no air, no brakes.
In reverse, the air held fine, but shift into neutral or any forward gear, it would dump air out of the vent.
So my options were, drive home 150 miles in reverse, or take the valves off, clean then and hope that it was fixed.

Well, I took the valves off, along with the 2 airze lines and the hydraulic line, syphoned some fuel out of one of the tanks into a quart sized oil container to use as a parts washer, and proceeded to disassemble the valves.

I have never done this before, so without the help of all the guys in the group, I would have been stuck, bjg-time.

Anyway, cleaned the valves, reinstalled them, attached the air and hydraulic lines, started the truck up,let it build up aur pressure, and she works perfectly.

Made it all the way glhome without and issue.
Thanks to the guys at the SoCal Rally for their help.

If you haven't gone to one of their events, I suggest you do, a great bunch of guys.

Sorry no pictures, hands were covered in diesel and dirt.

General Hood

Pulled the 923A2 up to contractor loading dock at Home Depot and said "fill her up boys", then hauled up the mountain to build a hunting cabin. The trooper at the weigh station just shook his head and waved me on :)

68hunter

Ya those are just standard issue sks 7.62 rifles, ammo is cheap and they are fun to shoot. Todds112 you do have to make sure you open the door a fair bit upon exiting, but I have never bumped into them yet. Takes away a bit of elbow room while driving, but very manageable. I take my truck to the bush a lot and the rifle mounts actually work great for holding axes and pickeroons as well

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started up the M934.. Been noticing that the last couple of times, it's been starting slower and slower.... then noticed that the battery meter was in the red.. Whoops!

Checked the batteries, seemed fine albeit low on juice.. tapped gauge.. no change... Pulled out my multimeter, about to check for voltage from the alternator....

Popped the hood and... no output from alternator..... I kill the engine..

then.....

I realize that both belts are missing from the alternator, and the pulley is loose/wobbly.

Methinks it puked the woodruff key... will dig into it tomorrow..

Those keys are everywhere but nowhere, can't find ANY details or specs on the key used on that alternator... Ugh.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGT installed, last RCL's mounted. Total count is 14. Daylight on demand.

Painted a few things, like the bed crane and chocks. Got a car show at work this week. Should be interesting, assuming security and facilities can agree where I can park.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks