• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MtnSnow

Went over to my storage location and started and ran both trucks for a half hour and slaved off my 804a generator as the batteries were flat. Pulled them and brought them home and they are on the chargers now in the garage.

archmark

Calling what I drained out of my radiator diarrhea is being complementary of loose stools. Makes me wonder how long the beast must have sat for good coolant to assume such a state, that is if there ever was good coolant in it to start with. It went thru a bunch of MWO's in 2010 according to the cab tags, so probably since then. No wonder Uncle Sucker is unloading everything...

archmark

Thanks Juan and I have checked out your coolant filter setup numerous times, but all the plumbing seems daunting, but after yesterday's experience, it just got added to the list. I may have to pick your brain though when it comes time to buy parts, especially regarding thread and hose size. I never make less than 4 trips to the hardware store for any project, but I'd like to try to cut it down to no more than 2, especially when the truck is drained and I've got only one day's worth of winter sunlight to get it accomplished.

I'm wondering, how many filter changes did it take you to get where the coolant remained "clean" between changes?

Thanks again...

Mark

JohnnyBM931A2

Calling what I drained out of my radiator diarrhea is being complementary of loose stools. Makes me wonder how long the beast must have sat for good coolant to assume such a state, that is if there ever was good coolant in it to start with. It went thru a bunch of MWO's in 2010 according to the cab tags, so probably since then. No wonder Uncle Sucker is unloading everything...
LOL. Just for a laugh, you should have sent some to a coolant testing place. You could have told them you put it in a week ago, and that is how it came out when you checked it.. And then end your letter with the phrase "This is ok, right?" :D

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got around to replacing the coolant in my M934. What should have taken a couple of hours at the most, ended up eating up the entire day. I knew something was wrong when I opened the drain cock and nothing come out, that is until I took a small Philips head screwdriver and poked it around in the drain. It was plugged solid and took 5 or 6 good jabs to get thru all the crap that had accumulated in the bottom of the radiator and get thing flowing, and flow it did as evidenced by the attached pictures. I make coffee that's lighter in color than the **** that's been circulating in the trucks cooling system.

After filling and draining the system 3 times without getting any results other than more of the brown stuff, I put in a couple of bottles of Prestone flush solution and a back flush tee. I let the truck run for an hour with the flush solution installed and then drained the system and started the back flush process. I back flushed the system with the truck running for over an hour before I finally got clean water coming out of the top and bottom of the system.

I also attempted to change out the shutterstat, but the unit I purchased was too long and the bulb ended up hitting the thermostat, so I've got to send it back and get one about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter. I put the old one back in, buttoned everything up and installed 6 gallons of Prestone and 3 gallons of purified water. I'm assuming that the remaining 3 gallons of water is what remained in the engine, but I'll find out if I need to top the system off with more water later today when I visit the beast.

With as dirty as the system was, the truck never ran hot, always showing +/-195 degrees on the temp gauge. I guess anything is possible when you've got 48 quarts of fluid circulating...

View attachment 585816View attachment 585815View attachment 585814View attachment 585813View attachment 585812View attachment 585811View attachment 585810View attachment 585809View attachment 585808View attachment 585807View attachment 585806

LOL..

I was skimming and was thinking to myself... 'I don't remember posting pics of my truck like that...'..

Hahaha...

Tan M934 FTW!

HASSON1911

I finally got around to replacing the coolant in my M934. What should have taken a couple of hours at the most, ended up eating up the entire day. I knew something was wrong when I opened the drain cock and nothing come out, that is until I took a small Philips head screwdriver and poked it around in the drain. It was plugged solid and took 5 or 6 good jabs to get thru all the crap that had accumulated in the bottom of the radiator and get thing flowing, and flow it did as evidenced by the attached pictures. I make coffee that's lighter in color than the **** that's been circulating in the trucks cooling system.

After filling and draining the system 3 times without getting any results other than more of the brown stuff, I put in a couple of bottles of Prestone flush solution and a back flush tee. I let the truck run for an hour with the flush solution installed and then drained the system and started the back flush process. I back flushed the system with the truck running for over an hour before I finally got clean water coming out of the top and bottom of the system.

I also attempted to change out the shutterstat, but the unit I purchased was too long and the bulb ended up hitting the thermostat, so I've got to send it back and get one about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter. I put the old one back in, buttoned everything up and installed 6 gallons of Prestone and 3 gallons of purified water. I'm assuming that the remaining 3 gallons of water is what remained in the engine, but I'll find out if I need to top the system off with more water later today when I visit the beast.

With as dirty as the system was, the truck never ran hot, always showing +/-195 degrees on the temp gauge. I guess anything is possible when you've got 48 quarts of fluid circulating...
When the funds or time allow it, it probably wouldn't be the dumbest idea to rip her out and get an acid wash from a coolant company. I've done that just as a precaution along with other preventive maintenance and as such haven't a car yet that took an early retirement before 250k.2cents

Another Ahab

When the funds or time allow it, it probably wouldn't be the dumbest idea to rip her out and get an acid wash from a coolant company. I've done that just as a precaution along with other preventive maintenance and as such haven't a car yet that took an early retirement before 250k.
You sure get your money's worth out of an automobile. That's the way to go! :beer:

74M35A2

On the coolant topic, I also did a 3 stage coolant flush. I did replace my radiator last year with a brand new one, but I wanted to clean the block, hoses, trans cooler, heater core, thermostat housing, all that. After much research, this is the process I followed:

1. Drained existing coolant, flushed with clear hose water until no traces of coolant left. Coolant was bright green in color, so I was not expecting much during the flush, but would have a guilty conscious if I did not do it. Thermostat is about 6 months old. Pulling the lower hose is so much faster than the drain valve.

2. Drained clear water, and mixed up the hottest water I could get out of my house in a 5 gallon bucket with Cascade dish washing detergent. I added TSP cleaner to this. Both were powder, and I dissolved them both in hot water before filling the cooling system and going for a ride. Drained, and it came out brown. Cool, something worked, and it was so much lower cost than radiator flush liquid. Lots of big rig truck shops do this supposedly. Dishwashing detergent doesn't foam.

3. Flushed above out completely with clear water, and then poured in 1 gallon of CLR and rest hot water, went for another ride. Emptied that, not too discolored. Almost clear.

4. Filled system again with 2 gallons of clear (white) vinegar, and rest hot water, went for another ride. Drained, really clear, refilled with 100% clear water, and holding that now as I will soon move my heater box to under my passenger seat. Once done, will refill system with correct SCA type coolant, and add coolant filter.

I do have to say, the most yuck came out with the Cascade. I used as much powder as could be dissolved in a 5 gallon bucket, with a small amount of granule at the bottom, knowing that would flush out with the subsequent other flushes.

74M35A2

Got my DOT & PUCO numbers painted on today. Now as soon as I get the headlights converted to H4 and get that faulty transmission switch replaced for back up alarm and lights, I can get her inspected. Finally getting closer.View attachment 586075
The H4 conversion is such an awesome upgrade. I highly recommend this over LED. For just a pinch more $, you can get genuine Hella globes and bulbs, and everything in front you becomes daylight, even with legal rated bulbs.

JohnnyBM931A2

The H4 conversion is such an awesome upgrade. I highly recommend this over LED. For just a pinch more $, you can get genuine Hella globes and bulbs, and everything in front you becomes daylight, even with legal rated bulbs.
I just ordered a pair of the HL79562 7" Round H4 E-Code Headlamps by Hella. Just need to buy a pair of bulbs and wiring adapters. Can't wait to get them installed 8)

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after 2 weeks of what seems like non-stop rain, wind and drizzle...I finally got something done.

I installed this little rubber cap on the dimmer switch. Ok, I haven't got anything done.

20151005_164144.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

Well after 2 weeks of what seems like non-stop rain, wind and drizzle...I finally got something done.

I installed this little rubber cap on the dimmer switch. Ok, I haven't got anything done.

View attachment 586111
lol.. Sweet cap ;)

I feel your pain dude. We don't have rain here, but it is starting to get colder outside.. Sunday is my only day off, and I didn't get anything done because it was cold out. Nothing makes me less motivated to work outside than the cold..

Last edited:

Snowtiger

I finally installed my "hidden" battery isolation switch, and yes it was purchased from one of my favourite sponsors on this site. As well I installed locking door handles, but darn I failed on the installing the rubber cap thingy, lol. Next up my cooling filter just gathering all the parts now.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Another Ahab

I finally installed my "hidden" battery isolation switch, and yes it was purchased from one of my favourite sponsors on this site. As well I installed locking door handles, but darn I failed on the installing the rubber cap thingy, lol. Next up my cooling filter just gathering all the parts now.
View attachment 586145
That's slick; your cab looks really put together, snowtiger. Sweet!

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Got my DOT & PUCO numbers painted on today. Now as soon as I get the headlights converted to H4 and get that faulty transmission switch replaced for back up alarm and lights, I can get her inspected. Finally getting closer.View attachment 586075
Got the back-up/reversing switch replaced with the one suprman mentioned in this thread.https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFvSfDhFl2KPnT4mMCEtICqu2INvA

Now if only the H4 headlights would come in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I moved the modified M927A2 with the "circus wagon" in tow to the warehouse where my movie office is located.

I had a lot of wardrobe items stored in there and I'm getting ready for the GA Rally.

This building is 360,000 square feet divided into four sections. I rent a small office space for now but future plans include taking one whole section (90,000 sq. feet) and converting it into a soundstage with a large green screen.

We shot some of the scenes in the trailer for my movie "Shovelhead" in and around the building. shovelheadmovie.com

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks