• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

mdemars03

This one isn't what I have done, but what I might have to do. I woke up today and had a code violation notice on my front door. Notice says the following:

20.08.010 Uses permitted per district. Heavy trucks and equipment are not permitted to be parked or stored in a residential district. Must remove within 10 days. Failure to comply will result in a class c citation and further legal action in court. Military vehicles being parked on the property.

So I called and spoke with the enforcement officer about it and told him it is registered as an antique vehicle and is not a commercial vehicle and asked if there are any exemptions since it is for personal use and an antique vehicle. He is going to pick up some paperwork from me tomorrow morning and see if there are any exemptions for it and let me know. I think since I was polite with him and I told him I understand he is just doing his job and I was not upset with him and I didn't yell or get angry is why he seemed to be willing to help me out. He gave me a few options (some of which aren't very realistic with this style truck) to try and figure a way around the code. I will just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. If not I have somewhere to move them to this weekend.

Another Ahab

This one isn't what I have done, but what I might have to do. I woke up today and had a code violation notice on my front door. Notice says the following:

So I called and spoke with the enforcement officer about it and told him it is registered as an antique vehicle and is not a commercial vehicle and asked if there are any exemptions since it is for personal use and an antique vehicle.
It sounds like you're taking the right approach, for sure.

If push-comes-to-shove you might ask if you can apply for an exemption (the whole world is negotiable, even when dealing with government). Maybe you might have to tarp it while parked, but that might not be bad.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but if it's any consolation, you're not the first to go through this drill. Please keep us all posted. [thumbzup]

mdemars03

It sounds like you're taking the right approach, for sure.

If push-comes-to-shove you might ask if you can apply for an exemption (the whole world is negotiable, even when dealing with government). Maybe you might have to tarp it while parked, but that might not be bad.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but if it's any consolation, you're not the first to go through this drill. Please keep us all posted. [thumbzup]
I definitly will keep you posted. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow. I have read where others here have had the same problem. If there is no way around it I have somewhere I can park them, it just won't be as easy to get them as it would be if they are at my house. Hopefully things will work out in my favor.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

20.08.010 Uses permitted per district. Heavy trucks and equipment are not permitted to be parked or stored in a residential district. Must remove within 10 days. Failure to comply will result in a class c citation and further legal action in court. Military vehicles being parked on the property.

So I called and spoke with the enforcement officer about it and told him it is registered as an antique vehicle and is not a commercial vehicle and asked if there are any exemptions since it is for personal use and an antique vehicle. He is going to pick up some paperwork from me tomorrow morning and see if there are any exemptions for it and let me know. I think since I was polite with him and I told him I understand he is just doing his job and I was not upset with him and I didn't yell or get angry is why he seemed to be willing to help me out. He gave me a few options (some of which aren't very realistic with this style truck) to try and figure a way around the code. I will just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. If not I have somewhere to move them to this weekend.
You might ask your Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) if there are parallel ordinances allowing "Special Interest Vehicles" in residential areas. Here in San Angelo, the Code of Ordinances on the surface appear to prohibit LARGE MV's. HOWEVER, with the TxFMV registration, they become "Special Interest Vehicles" which are SPECIFICALLY ALLOWED by Ordinance to be parked/operated in residential areas. This has also been used to exempt racecars, motorhomes, a couple of smaller scale trailer sized carnival rides (privately owned), ALL non-commercial horse trailers whether they are bumper-pull, fifth-wheel or semi-trailer type in spite of the standing ordinance prohibitting Semi's! Your municipality's Ordinances may vary. Keep your CEO on your side and he may be an invaluable asset.

turnkey

The is crazy....Guy down the street is in the national guard...Parked his HMVV out in front of his house for the night ...Going to training in the morning...City towed the HMVV for parking in the street...That was special...

mdemars03

You might ask your Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) if there are parallel ordinances allowing "Special Interest Vehicles" in residential areas. Here in San Angelo, the Code of Ordinances on the surface appear to prohibit LARGE MV's. HOWEVER, with the TxFMV registration, they become "Special Interest Vehicles" which are SPECIFICALLY ALLOWED by Ordinance to be parked/operated in residential areas. This has also been used to exempt racecars, motorhomes, a couple of smaller scale trailer sized carnival rides (privately owned), ALL non-commercial horse trailers whether they are bumper-pull, fifth-wheel or semi-trailer type in spite of the standing ordinance prohibitting Semi's! Your municipality's Ordinances may vary. Keep your CEO on your side and he may be an invaluable asset.
I will certainly ask him when I speak with him tomorrow. I never thought about that aspect of it being special interest vehicle. I am certainly trying to keep him on my side and work with him as much as possible. He seemed real at ease talking with me when the first thing I told him was I am not upset about the citation or at him and that I understand he is just doing his job. What I'm going to do at this point though to keep this thread on topic though is start a new thread from scratch with my citation and all of your input so far. This way we keep this thread on track and regardless of outcome hopefully it will make it easier for someone to find in the future if they end up in a similar situation.

mdemars03

The is crazy....Guy down the street is in the national guard...Parked his HMVV out in front of his house for the night ...Going to training in the morning...City towed the HMVV for parking in the street...That was special...
Now that's just plain crazy and stupid in my opinion. Just my 2cents.

JohnnyBM931A2

Did nothing to the truck today except run it (I run it twice a week.) This weekend, weather permitting, I will try to get the coolant drained/ block heater installed/ coolant replaced. I might be needing it sooner than later. Temps here at night are supposed to be around 29/30 degrees within a few days. Winter is fast approaching..

Another Ahab

I mean, someone couldn't have just knocked on his door, and had a conversation?

Another Ahab

I definitly will keep you posted. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow. I have read where others here have had the same problem. If there is no way around it I have somewhere I can park them, it just won't be as easy to get them as it would be if they are at my house. Hopefully things will work out in my favor.
I hope so, too.

This might entertain you, a guy who had things work out against his favor, but he found a way to make his own justice:

Homeowner Assoc..jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

I hope so, too.

This might entertain you, a guy who had things work out against his favor, but he found a way to make his own justice:

View attachment 587898
Nice :) Our country is full of stupid laws and rules that make no sense. Laws are put in place to enforce order, increase safety, and promote well being among citizens. But there are many laws that do none of these things (like the one that started mdemars03 thread.) How about the law in one state that says convicted felons can't play Bingo? Or the one where people with an STD aren't allowed to marry? Or a law about not being able to have more than 6 sex toys? How do those laws accomplish any of the things that I mentioned above? If certain laws serve no purpose, and do not accomplish anything, then they should no longer be laws.

Last edited:

therooster2001

Are those fasteners already built into the hood, or how do they work?
View attachment 587827

Yup, they are little disc's that go on over a nail looking fastener attached to the hood. If you don't have them, the manufacturer has them as well. I did the sticky stuff where I could, but where I couldn't reach it (and it's REALLY sticky) and then let the fasteners do the job. The only question is does the paper side holding the sticky stuff trap moisture or does the tape allow it breath a bit. Nice part is I am in Colorado, so moisture just leaves. We are less than 20% here all year round, and rarely does a rain storm keep it above 80% for more than a day. Benefits of the high desert is that rust is never an issue, but drying things out is. 303 is my friend on rubber and weatherstripping..

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Nice part is I am in Colorado, so moisture just leaves. We are less than 20% here all year round, and rarely does a rain storm keep it above 80% for more than a day. Benefits of the high desert is that rust is never an issue, but drying things out is. 303 is my friend on rubber and weatherstripping..
This might sound funny, but:

- Are nose bleeds common out your way!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks