• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

71DeuceAK

Interesting, military surplus! How fitting!

I'd like to set something up long term once I get a Deuce and/or M923. So I might have to do 12v/24v, with two battery banks and two alternators, or get a battery equalizer, or convert everything to 12v. (Anyone done that successfully on the 939 series? I know it's been done before to M35A2s). I wonder about instrumentation stuff...lights are the easy part.

12v won't be a bad idea for me anyway, since I also plan to install something in terms of a stereo, considering the truck is probably going to be my daily driver, possibly on a long commute.

JohnnyBM931A2

I'd like to set something up long term once I get a Deuce and/or M923. So I might have to do 12v/24v, with two battery banks and two alternators, or get a battery equalizer, or convert everything to 12v. (Anyone done that successfully on the 939 series? I know it's been done before to M35A2s). I wonder about instrumentation stuff...lights are the easy part.

12v won't be a bad idea for me anyway, since I also plan to install something in terms of a stereo, considering the truck is probably going to be my daily driver, possibly on a long commute.
I think your best bet would be to run an inverter setup off of the batteries. That way you can run 12v stuff without changing over the entire electrical system. An M939 5 ton has a lot more electrical stuff going on in comparison with a deuce. I doubt you would be able to convert everything to 12v.. You have lights, instrumentation, engine sensors, transmission sensors, etc.

Plane Fast

The inverter I have pictured a couple of posts back is military surplus. I think they were used to charge NVGs, radios and other things off the slave port. It is 24V to 110V and comes with the slave plug. It's small but runs plenty of LEDs...Christmas lights and work lights. I use it all the time for running my work lights when there isn't a hard line around.
Nice. That is slick.

gottaluvit

Can't you just tap into one battery for the 12v source? That's what I did to wire in my 12v outlet that has a usb power source in it as well.
20150605_174228.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't you just tap into one battery for the 12v source? That's what I did to wire in my 12v outlet that has a usb power source in it as well.
View attachment 598577

Short answer:

You CAN but it's potentially hazardous to your batteries' health.

While a USB Charger will be an almost insignificant LOAD on the one battery, folks have often used the 12 volt (half battery bank) to power their heavier load inducing equipment such as fire truck emergency lights, radio gear, car audio equipment, etc.
It is those heavier loads that will readily cause asymmetric draining of your stored energy. Basically, one side of your 24V battery bank becomes less charged than your untapped side.
This in and of itself isn't so bad until your charging system tries to recharge your battery bank. Your voltage regulator will essentially sense that the AVERAGE charge in that batteries is LOWER THAN SPEC and is therefore what it needs to supplement. Hence your CHARGINE SYSTEM will continue to charge even after the stronger side of your battery bank is FULLY charged. Simultaneously, the batteries tapped for your 12V equipment is NEVER FULLY CHARGED in this loop. Ultimately increasing he disparity between the two sides of your battery bank with every loading/charging cycle.
The BAD PART is that you then continue to OVER CHARGE your stronger side and eventually FRY YOUR BATTERIES. The more this cycle is repeated the higher the likelihood that ALL YOUR BATTERIES will eventually fail due to this asymmetric charging.
It's that "simple".

The real question is.... Do you want to MURDER your batteries, or treat them as the CRITICAL SYSTEM that you need to take proper care of to assure its long life.

Remember:

The RETAIL price of FOUR OEM BATTERIES is approximately $1000-$1500 depending on your source and discounting blessings.

gottaluvit

I hadn't considered the overcharging of the one effect. So as long as it's only for low draw stuff it should be fine? Dont they have the low speed on the heater fan running on just one battery? I would think that would be a high draw item.

twisted60

Not exactly last week but (Nov 20-26) ... I recovered my M923A2 from Texas to Florida, a beautiful 1200 mile trip, great weather and great support from SS members Fuzzy Toaster and Jeepskinner. The adventure started from across the globe, I arranged to buy the truck from fuzzy toaster via email and had a friend in the USA send the check. I was at work in the eastern med during all the negotiations, then I had a little side trip to Thailand before returning to the USA, departed Thailand on Nov 19 direct to MIA, repacked my bags and got on a flight to Texas on the 20th. After meeting fuzzy toaster (great guy) I went shopping, bought oil and filters. On the morning of the 21st I hit harbor freight to stock up on tools for the trip back to FL and to tinker with the big girl (M923A2) before the trip. The morning of the 21 was cold and windy so instead of changing the oil as planned I deferred to working in the cab as much as possible, got my 24 to 12 volt converter installed, cab cleaned up some more, did a few other little things that I have forgotten, and by then it was dark, so checked all the lights and called it a day. Nov 22nd, brought a great day, very little wind and lots of sun, got the engine oil changed, lube filters changed, air filter changed, installed the Ram Air scoop from TMG, crawled around under the truck and all looked great...It is amazing how fast time goes by when you outside doing something fun, before I knew it it was dark again and back to the hotel. The 23rd was again great weather, got started tinkering early and at 1300 picked up a friend at the airport who would ride back with me. After picking her up it was back to the truck and getting 2 tires fixed, the o-rings had started leaking but fuzzy toaster came to my rescue with new o-rings and lead me to the truck tire shop to get them fixed (tires have not lost a pound since), then it was time to start cleaning up and getting ready to install the hard top that fuzzy had hooked me up with, the install was a breeze using the wrecker fuzzy had in his yard to sit the top in it's place, the only hard part was getting the bolts in place and tightened down. Nov 24th was to be an early departure but as you all have encountered things don't often go as planned, I checked/serviced all fluids, loaded up the truck (I thought...forgot 1 of the items I had shipped to the hotel so it was turn around and go back) it was around noon by the time the long drive started again... After about 2 hours of driving I pulled into a gas station to get a splash and look the truck over, to my horror there was antifreeze pooling up under the engine, after a quick check I realized I had over serviced the system and it was just finding it level, then back on the road for another 2 hours and and another quick stop, this time to my horror...oil leaking down front left side of engine, another quick check and I found I had not properly secured the power steering cap, so 2 for 2 and both my fault, got off easy... Made it to LA the first night. Nov 25th did get started early, nice long drive down I10 into north central FL for the night, truck had been running great until some where in northern FL/eastern AL where the voltage regulator committed suicide and fried itself, oh well, batteries were new so gave them a work out...Spent the night in north central FL a bit exhausted but happy to be so close to my destination. The final push started early on Thanksgiving day, as planned/hopped the truck started and aside from a little lingering burned wire smell ran great. Rolled into a service plaza on I75 to check her over and had a great chat with a FL State Trooper, no ticket nothing like that...really just a nice chat, he helped me out with some question I had about getting her tagged and registered. After dropping my travel companion off in Orlando I did the final push to home, I had advised the ex that I bought an former military truck, she did not know what size and I did not tell her, only told her that I needed the driveway clear when I arrived, after I pulled into the driveway she came out side and instead of the ration of S#$T I expected she said "wow that's cool", guess it was the Thanksgiving spirit, even the dog liked my truck... Over all it was a great adventure, great weather, a good running truck and a lot of fun driving that beast seeing people smile, wave, even got a salute made me proud to join the FMV club. Special thanks to Fuzzy Toaster and Jeepskinner for their patients and words of wisdom. Look forward to getting behind the wheel again soon...

twisted60

Not exactly last week but (Nov 20-26) ... I recovered my M923A2 from Texas to Florida, a beautiful 1200 mile trip, great weather and great support from SS members Fuzzy Toaster and Jeepskinner. The adventure started from across the globe, I arranged to buy the truck from fuzzy toaster via email and had a friend in the USA send the check. I was at work in the eastern med during all the negotiations, then I had a little side trip to Thailand before returning to the USA, departed Thailand on Nov 19 direct to MIA, repacked my bags and got on a flight to Texas on the 20th. After meeting fuzzy toaster (great guy) I went shopping, bought oil and filters. On the morning of the 21st I hit harbor freight to stock up on tools for the trip back to FL and to tinker with the big girl (M923A2) before the trip. The morning of the 21 was cold and windy so instead of changing the oil as planned I deferred to working in the cab as much as possible, got my 24 to 12 volt converter installed, cab cleaned up some more, did a few other little things that I have forgotten, and by then it was dark, so checked all the lights and called it a day. Nov 22nd, brought a great day, very little wind and lots of sun, got the engine oil changed, lube filters changed, air filter changed, installed the Ram Air scoop from TMG, crawled around under the truck and all looked great...It is amazing how fast time goes by when you outside doing something fun, before I knew it it was dark again and back to the hotel. The 23rd was again great weather, got started tinkering early and at 1300 picked up a friend at the airport who would ride back with me. After picking her up it was back to the truck and getting 2 tires fixed, the o-rings had started leaking but fuzzy toaster came to my rescue with new o-rings and lead me to the truck tire shop to get them fixed (tires have not lost a pound since), then it was time to start cleaning up and getting ready to install the hard top that fuzzy had hooked me up with, the install was a breeze using the wrecker fuzzy had in his yard to sit the top in it's place, the only hard part was getting the bolts in place and tightened down. Nov 24th was to be an early departure but as you all have encountered things don't often go as planned, I checked/serviced all fluids, loaded up the truck (I thought...forgot 1 of the items I had shipped to the hotel so it was turn around and go back) it was around noon by the time the long drive started again... After about 2 hours of driving I pulled into a gas station to get a splash and look the truck over, to my horror there was antifreeze pooling up under the engine, after a quick check I realized I had over serviced the system and it was just finding it level, then back on the road for another 2 hours and and another quick stop, this time to my horror...oil leaking down front left side of engine, another quick check and I found I had not properly secured the power steering cap, so 2 for 2 and both my fault, got off easy... Made it to LA the first night. Nov 25th did get started early, nice long drive down I10 into north central FL for the night, truck had been running great until some where in northern FL/eastern AL where the voltage regulator committed suicide and fried itself, oh well, batteries were new so gave them a work out...Spent the night in north central FL a bit exhausted but happy to be so close to my destination. The final push started early on Thanksgiving day, as planned/hopped the truck started and aside from a little lingering burned wire smell ran great. Rolled into a service plaza on I75 to check her over and had a great chat with a FL State Trooper, no ticket nothing like that...really just a nice chat, he helped me out with some question I had about getting her tagged and registered. After dropping my travel companion off in Orlando I did the final push to home, I had advised the ex that I bought an former military truck, she did not know what size and I did not tell her, only told her that I needed the driveway clear when I arrived, after I pulled into the driveway she came out side and instead of the ration of S#$T I expected she said "wow that's cool", guess it was the Thanksgiving spirit, even the dog liked my truck... Over all it was a great adventure, great weather, a good running truck and a lot of fun driving that beast seeing people smile, wave, even got a salute made me proud to join the FMV club. Special thanks to Fuzzy Toaster and Jeepskinner for their patients and words of wisdom. Look forward to getting behind the wheel again soon...

gottaluvit

Sounds like you were blessed. Great story. You had several potential bad things turn good.

Another Ahab

Not exactly last week but (Nov 20-26) ... I recovered my M923A2 from Texas to Florida, a beautiful 1200 mile trip, to my horror there was antifreeze pooling up under the engine, after a quick check I realized I had over serviced the system and it was just finding it level, then back on the road for another 2 hours and and another quick stop, this time to my horror...oil leaking down front left side of engine, another quick check and I found I had not properly secured the power steering cap, so 2 for 2 and both my fault, got off easy...I had advised the ex that I bought an former military truck, she did not know what size and I did not tell her, only told her that I needed the driveway clear when I arrived, after I pulled into the driveway she came out side and instead of the ration of S#$T I expected she said "wow that's cool", guess it was the Thanksgiving spirit, even the dog liked my truck...
That was a great travelogue; thanks for the story:

- And two episodes of horror just to give your heart a little work-out, that's good (need SOME kind of exercise after sitting in the rig for so long).

- And sorry that the Ex is the Ex (for both of you), but marriage is tough, and she sounds here like a good sport. But I get it; it's complicated, and I send nothing but good wishes to both of you (and I'm married myself, so I'm not about to open the can of worms by picking sides, are you kidding!?). :beer:

71DeuceAK

@Twisted60; sounds like a fun adventure for sure! Great looking truck, too!

@everyone else, yeah, that's why I'm thinking separate systems: Not killing batteries and because all the instrumentation would be difficult if not impossible to change over to 12v.

JohnnyBM931A2

@Twisted60; sounds like a fun adventure for sure! Great looking truck, too!

@everyone else, yeah, that's why I'm thinking separate systems: Not killing batteries and because all the instrumentation would be difficult if not impossible to change over to 12v.
Dude... Why spend all that money on a separate 12v system with alternator?? A 24v to 12v inverter is CHEAP.. I just found one on eBay for $15.00 + $4.00 shipping. The shipping up to Alaska will be more, but still.... And it will handle 30 amps. Unless you're running a crazy amount of stuff, I think that will work out just fine for you. My 2cents

71DeuceAK

That's also a very good thought/possibility! 30a should be just fine for what I'll need. Stereo, small inverter, etc.

Another major electrical "addition" would be a block heater, for -40F Fairbanks, AK winters.

BTW might be going to pick a Deuce owner's brain in a couple weeks, and hopefully drive one! Any "advice"?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to have met you and heard your stories from abroad. I know she will find a nice home with you and maybe..just maybe..the ex will have to get one too to keep up. Hahaha! She is a great truck and that journey was possibly the longest she's ever been on. Glad to hear all the possible issues were minor and you made it safe. [thumbzup]

71DeuceAK

@Twisted60; I will echo what Fuzzy said...great truck!

"Bring earplugs"...absolutely! I have ridden in a Deuce once before (Not even at highway speed, mind you) and yeah, they are LOUD!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks