• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Thanks. Once I can afford the hubs it will get some. I've bought many of Russ's other products and everything is top notch. My main plans are to make a bed that snaps into the 5th wheel and latches to the frame. Gonna tweat the injection pump and build a DOM rollcage in the cab similar to the couple A3 versions they made but I plan to keep the top the same I don't really like the cabs they put on the A3's.

JohnnyBM931A2

Thanks. Once I can afford the hubs it will get some. I've bought many of Russ's other products and everything is top notch. My main plans are to make a bed that snaps into the 5th wheel and latches to the frame. Gonna tweat the injection pump and build a DOM rollcage in the cab similar to the couple A3 versions they made but I plan to keep the top the same I don't really like the cabs they put on the A3's.
Sweet :cool: Make sure you post of plenty of pics for us ;) I have often thought about having the local 4x4/custom place make me a roll cage. I think it would be a good idea.. I just need to save up the money :(

JohnnyBM931A2

Looked under the seat/in the battery compartment of my truck for the first time (yeah I know.. Should have done it after I bought my truck.) Still has the 4 original military batteries which I figured it would. They work great, so I'm not going to mess with them until they start to have issues.

What was really cool though, was that I found an original Army copy of the -10 TM in the compartment next to the batteries, right by the passenger side door :cool: It's dated 1999. I have a reproduction version printed on 8.5x11" regular paper, but it's awesome to have an original copy (especially since it is smaller, and more handy.)

JohnnyBM931A2

I plan to drive it and wheel it and do whatever I can with it and would prefer not be squished in it if for some reason it would end up belly up.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! I too dislike the look of the 5 ton ROPS trucks.. I believe people refer to those as "Frankentop" trucks :) If I end up doing a roll cage in mine, I don't want the truck to look any different from the outside.

I plan to use 2" .188 wall tube for the cage. looks like only mod I really need to make is I may have to relocate the air restriction gauge. and possibly trim the back 2 corners inside the cab to clear the tubes. I dn't plan to go overkill and put tubes everywhere just enough to make it safer in a roll over.

JohnnyBM931A2

I plan to use 2" .188 wall tube for the cage. looks like only mod I really need to make is I may have to relocate the air restriction gauge. and possibly trim the back 2 corners inside the cab to clear the tubes. I dn't plan to go overkill and put tubes everywhere just enough to make it safer in a roll over.
lol.. That's the exact same thing I was thinking! You will probably have to cut off the end of the passenger side grab handle as well, and weld it to the upright of the cage. But nothing too crazy.

JohnnyBM931A2

A few hours ago I went and picked up 10 gallons of diesel in 2 cans, and added it to my tank. Then I took it for a drive... Always a good time :driver:8):jumpin:

Also noticed that even with the upgraded air filter, I still make the filter gauge go halfway up under decent acceleration? Wondering if anyone else has noticed this.. Maybe definitive proof that the intake tubing diameter is too small? (hence my post in the mod section regarding 8" tubing.)

Last edited:

infidel got me

A few hours ago I went and picked up 10 gallons of diesel in 2 cans, and added it to my tank. Then I took it for a drive... Always a good time :driver:8):jumpin:

Also noticed that even with the upgraded air filter, I still make the filter gauge go halfway up under decent acceleration? Wondering if anyone else has noticed this.. Maybe definitive proof that the intake tubing diameter is too small? (hence my post in the mod section regarding 8" tubing.)
I installed a k&n filter that is used on motorhomes, and my guage goes up halfway still! I think if you take the filter out it would still go up halfway. Poorly designed-- maybe the same engineer designed the flimsy dogbones as well. P.S. The filter is for the 8.3 cummins by the way-- so I know its the right one, not just randomly picked out. ;-)

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Finally got to flushing out the left tank on Fluffy [my 818], still have to do the right side, but that can wait for another day.

Before I cleaned the tank out, I looked down inside of it and the older diesel was so black that I could not see my LED flashlight when I submerged it about 1".
Somehow, someway this truck ran on that black swamp sludge that resembled diesel fuel for a nice 300 miles round trip without any major issues. I'm sure the filters were not as amused as I am, but they will be changed out later.

After flushing the tank, ran her around the block and down the street to give her some more clean go-go juice. The idle is smoother and the throttle response is much better.

Amazing what good clean fuel can do for an engine. And we all know a clean engine is a happy engine.

:p:p:p:p:p

JohnnyBM931A2

I installed a k&n filter that is used on motorhomes, and my guage goes up halfway still! I think if you take the filter out it would still go up halfway. Poorly designed-- maybe the same engineer designed the flimsy dogbones as well. P.S. The filter is for the 8.3 cummins by the way-- so I know its the right one, not just randomly picked out. ;-)
Is it the type of filter that just mounts under the hood? So we're thinking that maybe the filter gauge is just a poor design?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks