• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MtnSnow

Well just got home from driving my M923a2 from my storage place to downtown SLC (my work) to pick up my shipment of Air Ride seats that arrived a few days ago that I will be eventually installing in both the M923a2 and M925a2 (3 seats per truck) with the batteries moving down to the tool box under the door). Drove back to my home and loaded up a few things that needed to be moved from the garage back to my storage location before the snow starts flying tonight. All in all put about 60 miles on and got lots of stares and waves. Got back to my storage location and went ahead and started the M925a2 up since it's been a close to a month since last doing so and it fired right up and purred at a fast idle for 20 minutes while I also started my mep-804a up and ran it for a bit as well while I moved things around in the storage yard...Yep it was a Good day :)

mdemars03

Went on about a 360 mile round trip run from El Paso to Elephante Butte Lake for the weekend. Met up with a bunch of other members there where we decorated our trucks with Christmas lights and raised money for a charity. We won best camp site for the 4th year in a row and raised the most money again.

20151213_114901.jpg
FB_IMG_1450046691012.jpg
FB_IMG_1450046698699.jpg
FB_IMG_1450046712353.jpg
FB_IMG_1450046719174.jpg

infidel got me

Very cool pics. and good cause for a charity. Maybe a stupid question and I know it varies state to state but are you allowed to run Christmas lights while driving down the road? Mods move question if not in right area. Thanks

mdemars03

I have run Christmas lights off of an inverter on my Silverado. I have seen large (think 18 wheeler) trucks with Christmas lights on them lit up. Like you said it depends on the state. We have done it in New Mexico and here in Texas and have not been told anything about it before.

That being said pretty much everyone that was out there this weekend had their Christmas lights off before leaving the lake.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tackled several smaller problems that were just more time consuming that anything else.

Replaced the fuel, battery, coolant temp and trans temp gauges. They worked but the illumination windows on the back were so hazy the back light wasn't making it through very well event after extensive cleaning. Still have to do the primary, secondary and oil pressure gauges. I'll be doing a custom LED back light after I get all the gauges taken care of.

Replaced the gauge bulb covers with some new green ones. I like the green light better than the red since the gauges are more visible.

Installed a waterproof digital voltage gauge in the gauge panel. I like a little more accuracy then what the battery gauge give you.

Used a spider harness to ground all the gauges to a single dedicated ground point. I dealt with a few grounding issues with the old gauges and didn't want that to continue.

Removed the air line from the shift interlock solenoid to the shift interlock cylinder on the T-case and plugged both holes. I've wanted to do this for a while but since I had the spare tire out of the way it was easily done from the top side. The interlock cylinder has been pressuring the T-case due to the internal seal leaking. My T-case seals were seaping, the speedometer cable was leaking at both ends to include behind the dash and it was pushing oil into the filter canister. This didn't take but a minute, but cleaning gear oil off everything took a while.

Relocated the hood support bracket now that I have everything situated in the front.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a new (to me) 58 gal. fuel tank from an M931 tractor on the right side to match the left one installed back in Feb '14. I also installed locking fuel caps on both sides.

I removed the M939-series uprade battery box and began install of an M915 battery box. These are really nice, heavy duty boxes and
require minimal modification to install on M809-series trucks. I only had to drill four holes. Sorry no pics of the box on the truck yet.
DSC_0024.jpgDSC_0025.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustyshackelford and his son and I went for a ride in my M925 a few days ago.

Although mostly I've been just using it to provide air for my plasma cutter. Just listening to it run brings a smile to my face...

Last edited:

General Hood

I installed a new (to me) 58 gal. fuel tank from an M931 tractor on the right side to match the left one installed back in Feb '14. I also installed locking fuel caps on both sides.

I removed the M939-series uprade battery box and began install of an M915 battery box. These are really nice, heavy duty boxes and
require minimal modification to install on M809-series trucks. I only had to drill four holes. Sorry no pics of the box on the truck yet.
View attachment 599195View attachment 599194
I like :). Just curious, is that miniature RR tracks in the background?

Another Ahab

See? You just GOT to start a stand-alone thread. Please. Really, please!

And post the link in this thread (i'm hearing that there are some shamelessly lazy people here in the ranks).

Last edited:

infidel got me

5ton

Fed exd my sf-97 form and fake looking govt.paper that gov. planet sent me ( that I was supposed to get my Florida title with ) back to gov. planet so they could correct their fupa. I then came home and finished grinding the 9000 layers of carc paint off my passenger door and put her to sleep after three coats of rusty primer.DOOR.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks