• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

71DeuceAK

I bet it'll be a hit at work! Go for it, 5 ton as a daily driver/commuter car! :)

Your specific encouragement definitely has me planning on doing just that as well, even if I start with a Deuce for this year...would like to get a M923 this time next year...

JohnnyBM931A2

I bet it'll be a hit at work! Go for it, 5 ton as a daily driver/commuter car! :)

Your specific encouragement definitely has me planning on doing just that as well, even if I start with a Deuce for this year...would like to get a M923 this time next year...
Ha. I know I'm not the only one that's used their 5 ton or deuce as a daily driver ;) But I like your plan.. lol :)

JohnnyBM931A2

I visualize that to be a satisfying experience. I was thinking someone might have chimed in to say they drove their 5 ton to Macys at the Mall to show you up LOL.
Yeah.. It was satisfying :) I definitely plan to add an additional heater (electric) for these cold mornings. But other than that, the 4 days recently that I have used it as my daily driver have gone well :)

71DeuceAK

@JohnnyBM931A2:
Similarly, I know I'm not the only one either! For me $$$ is the biggest "roadblock" LOL. As someone here once put it in another thread where the OP was a teen (like myself) considering a 5 ton as a daily driver..."Quick run to the store? Five bucks right there!" Another reason for the Deuce for the first year: alternative fuel at first!

I also saw yesterday the idea of having a small generator in the bed (if it's a cargo truck that is) and an electric space heater...or a window A/C unit in the back of the cab. I like the idea, being I might be driving in both -40F and +105F LOL.

But enough of hijacking this thread (again). Feel free to PM me...would love to keep discussing this, but probably shouldn't do it here LOL...

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I visualize that to be a satisfying experience. I was thinking someone might have chimed in to say they drove their 5 ton to Macys at the Mall to show you up LOL.
I picked up the Ol' Lady's Christmas present at Belks last year. Does that count?

I wouldn't consider mine to be a daily driver but I do split the driving equally each week between the big truck and the lil' truck. One trip in the big one then the next in the lil' one. It goes to the grocery, DQ, the movies, the doctor's office, work, the school, etc. I'll take it about anywhere but it's not just for the enjoyment. I try to keep it moving so things stay working. Things that sit up tend to tear up but there was no enjoyment to be had. If something is going break, I'd rather it happen because I was enjoying it.

It'll be picking up the boys from their sleepover at the inlaw's house in the morning. Three people will be enjoying that ride. :)

JohnnyBM931A2

I picked up the Ol' Lady's Christmas present at Belks last year. Does that count?

I wouldn't consider mine to be a daily driver but I do split the driving equally each week between the big truck and the lil' truck. One trip in the big one then the next in the lil' one. It goes to the grocery, DQ, the movies, the doctor's office, work, the school, etc. I'll take it about anywhere but it's not just for the enjoyment. I try to keep it moving so things stay working. Things that sit up tend to tear up but there was no enjoyment to be had. If something is going break, I'd rather it happen because I was enjoying it.

It'll be picking up the boys from their sleepover at the inlaw's house in the morning. Three people will be enjoying that ride. :)
I knew I wasn't the only one [thumbzup]

71DeuceAK

That's not a bad mentality either, saving some $$$ on the fuel (Especially if it's an A1) but still having the "fun" of driving it everywhere.

I think it also depends on your commute...mine while won't be too much city traffic...it'll probably be like 5% city driving, 50% freeway driving, 40% 2-lane state highway without much traffic, and like 5% 1-lane dirt road. However, that's over the course of about 2 hours each way at an average speed of probably about 55MPH. So a 939 series 5 ton would be perfect...more enjoyable than if I had mile after mile of stop-and-go city traffic.

tobyS

"50% freeway driving, 40% 2-lane state highway"

You may want to consider some additional rear lighting.

71DeuceAK

That's not a bad idea! Neither is a backup alarm, for all those parking lots...at least the house I might be living in (the one 2 hours away) has a circular driveway...one less place to have to back up...I can just pull in/pull out LOL. Same for most parking spaces as long as nobody is parked in front of you...

Plus the 5 ton will work great on the iffy dirt road in 2' of snow since it doesn't get plowed...although I may mount a plow anyway. I'd want to help people out with mine...so there's fewer "haters" of that one weird guy with the big army truck as a daily driver LOL...

Another Ahab

I'd want to help people out with mine...so there's fewer "haters" of that one weird guy with the big army truck as a daily driver LOL...
You're a good man, 71DeuceAk, doing the whole hobby a favor with that line of thinking; it's good PR (Public Relations).

It goes a long way to counter the hiccups, like that terrible DUKW tragedy; that was bad and awful.

And who says parking a 5 ton is ever any trouble!? It's all just kind of like this, "ain't" it?

park.jpg

68hunter

4751040e-89c1-4a8c-9240-bf0ba57c2a25.jpg50d1bce0-3043-472a-9f2e-b7242f054be9.jpg

I drive to my shop at least once a week in our 5 ton. Sometimes I will take pictures of customers restoration projects around it and include them in the booklet of snap shots we take all through the repair process for them

ross165123

Lost me spare tire yesterday on a 20 minute drive on a logging road. Didn't notice it until I got home. Were the road ended and the gravel began it was really really washedout and bumpy so i went back out to look for it and it was gone already.... :( at least it was a really bad looking ndt and not my nice 14x20

Another Ahab

Lost me spare tire yesterday on a 20 minute drive on a logging road. Didn't notice it until I got home. Were the road ended and the gravel began it was really really washedout and bumpy so i went back out to look for it and it was gone already.... :( at least it was a really bad looking ndt and not my nice 14x20
You know, there's just the teeniest tiniest chance:

- It's still going....

▶ 11:35

OC455

I got the fuel selector valve out of the M818 the other day and just removed all the hoses (to be replaced) and took the valve apart to clean it. It was kinda frozen in place. I used a lil' gun oil on it and worked it a bit and it broke free. It was pretty gunky in the valve. I used parts cleaner to get the heavy stuff out. What is the best stuff to use to make it shiny and clean?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks