• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

71DeuceAK

In the heat of summer, in Fairbanks! Being so far inland and with the long days, it can happen! Granted, it's also -40F in the winter there! It's funny, there's window A/C units everywhere you look!

Plus I also plan to be driving around in central California in the summer as well. Where it definitely can get that hot too.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And they look good on your rig; like they belong there. Nice find.

Are they pretty stiff, or do they swing when you put your weight on them?
Thanks. I tried to make them look factory-ish.

I had originally used 1/2" 4 ply conveyor belt for the straps but that was a little too stiff. So I cut the straps out of 3/8" 3 ply Kevlar reinforced belt and it worked perfect. They are plenty flexible fore and aft so they don't get hung up, but plenty stiff side to side when you step on them. I made everything but the bolts. ;-)

Another Ahab

Thanks. I tried to make them look factory-ish.

I had originally used 1/2" 4 ply conveyor belt for the straps but that was a little too stiff. So I cut the straps out of 3/8" 3 ply Kevlar reinforced belt and it worked perfect. They are plenty flexible fore and aft so they don't get hung up, but plenty stiff side to side when you step on them. I made everything but the bolts.
NO kidding? Home made!?

Those are nice. You got a sales item there. The price point could be $74.99. Those are great. [thumbzup]

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sell brand new 130A 24V alternators, just sayin'. :) I replaced my thermostat and heater core and now mine blows hot and relatively quickly from a cold start with no block heater usage. Your heater core could be plugged with minerals. Mine was. It flowed fine, but was not transferring the heat out. You could also swap it out for a fuel fired one. Those are hot at the flip of a switch. Saw new ones in our classifieds for $200 complete, that is a steal.
Who replaced your heater core? Tell us how good it works again. :lol: When are you going to put the fuel fired heater in? I have $110 in those two brackets you made me buy! ;-)

todds112

I've got another O-ring that needs replaced on a wheel, apparently. Have a slow leak. I've been starting the truck every weekend to keep batteries topped off, CTIS would keep the tire up as well. Today the CTIS would not come on. I noticed the air pressure would just hit 120 PSI, then governor would unload. I adjusted the governor up to about 125 PSI and everything is back to normal. Took longer to brush the snow off the hood than it did to do the actual adjustment.

MtnSnow

Went over to my storage location and brushed the snow off the cabs and hoods of both trucks and forgot to take any pics....so I guess it didn't happen :whistle:

sandcobra164

Finished an 1,100 mile round trip to pick up 7 14.00R20 tires and rims!!! Installing on 5 ton first thing in the morning so I can convert it to an M923A1!!! 5.3L powered Tahoes do good on flat ground but hate hills when towing such a load. Trailer weighs 2,100 pounds and roughly 2,900 pounds of ballast made the trip a little slower but well worth the ride now that I'm home!!!

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never remembered to post this from the summer. Every year I volunteer at a kids summer camp. This was our group of counselors. They loved the truck!
DSC_0683.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So this air valve on the passengers side tank was loose and closing when air pressure would build up and would not stay open so in turn no air pressure for the brakes. So I replaced it with a 1/2" valve, 1/2" to 1/2" male to male fitting, 1/2" female elbow and a 1/2" to 1/2" MIP to hook it to the air line. Took me a min to find the MIP fitting to allow the air line to fit inside. I had to get a new one since my old one was seized up in the valve. Took her out for a test drive today and filled her up with diesel and she is as good as new.

Attachments

JohnnyBM931A2

Took it for a short drive today after work :driver: I'll probably drive it again tomorrow, because my nephews have never had a ride in it ;)

Yesterday I ordered a custom electric cab heater for it. Can't wait to get it installed and see how it works :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks