• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

archmark

Best videography that I've ever seen from the inside of a rolling MV but "Fluffy" sure didn't leave much room in the bike lane for the spandex-clad crowd to transit (too ******* bad IMHO!!!)...

JohnnyBM931A2

That's what I understand, after having viewed the Youtube video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ccBMMyNuA. HOPEFULLY this won't ignite the whole oil vs. transmission fluid debate all over again, which is like arguing over which are better, true redheads or true blondes.

While Allison is more than happy to sell all the TransSynd that they can, for the few thousand miles that I drive my trucks a year, the $56/5 gallon pail of NAPA hyd/trans fluid works for me. If I was driving it full time, every day, then I'd probably go with the syn, but for my amount of use, this'll work...

Mark
Yup. That's the video I watched before I bought my 5 ton (he's actually a member here.)

archmark

Two Down...

I'm on a winning streak! Christmas afternoon I installed a Westfolk spin-on, dual fuel filter assembly and this morning, shortly after the storm hit TX of course, I replaced the OEM engine oil drain plug on my M934 with a nifty little Jap oil drain valve:

IMG_1705.jpgIMG_1706.jpgIMG_1707.jpgIMG_1710.jpg

Then, with the nasty a$$ old oil drained and the new drain valve installed, I removed the existing PITA oil filter canister and installed a Baldwin spin-on oil filter unit with a Fleetguard filter, using the CORRECT "thin" rubber washer and torqueing the bolt to 35 lbs.:

IMG_1708.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1711.jpgIMG_1712.jpgIMG_1713.jpg
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Then I hand tightened the Fleetguard filter, filled the beast with 27 quarts of fresh Shell Rotella T3 15W-40, checked everything a final half-dozen times, said a short, quick prayer, turned the key and...

IMG_1714.jpg

IT LIVES, with no leaks no less. Oil pressure stayed at the same 65-70psi, and while I couldn't quite hear the engine's sigh of relief, I'm sure it was elated to get some new juice coursing through it's bloodstream. I know I was.

Overall, not too bad of a job, if you overlook the falling temps and horizontal rainfall and the fact that I forgot to bring a heavy jacket and a bag of cat litter for the "small spills". Next oil change things should go considerably quicker and cleaner with the drain valve that I'll attach a piece of hose to the end to direct the old oil into the waste bucket. The spin-on oil filter will still leak some when being removed, but nothing like hassling with the mess of the old canister setup, with or without cat litter being available.

Tomorrow I'm going for a twofer, changing both the transmission and the transfer case fluids. And it'll probably work out for me just like it always does in Vegas when I get greedy and double down. Hopefully more SUCCESSFUL pics tomorrow...

Mark

Another Ahab

I'm on a winning streak! Christmas afternoon I installed a Westfolk spin-on, dual fuel filter assembly and this morning, shortly after the storm hit TX of course, I replaced the OEM engine oil drain plug on my M934 with a nifty little Jap oil drain valve:

View attachment 600779
That is a nifty looking drain valve. It looks spring-loaded.

It's hard to tell from just looking at it:

- Is there a detente on the spring to hold it open automatically?

- Or do actively have to hold pressure on it to keep it open?

archmark

I can't take credit for it, someone else on the forum, whose name I've forgotten, turned me on to it probably a year or so ago. It's got a little "gate", like a 4 speed shifter that only has 1st & 4th. Move it one way and down and it opens (or vice versa) and move it 90 degrees the other way and up and it closes (ditto). It's got quite a bit of "tension and holds itself either all open or all closed. I don't know what all makes up the guts of the thing, but I imagine you're right about a spring and detent and it's typical Jap quality and construction. To bad Uncle Sucker wasn't/isn't smart enough to incorporate something as simple as this or the spin-on oil filter on the vehicles. I guess old habits and deeply ingrained stupidity die hard.

I got it on the nationally know auction site and I think I purchased 2 for $25 (both or each, WTFK's) from a seller in Canada. Probably the best improvement you could make to a MV for the money. Of course, I did lose the magnet on the old oil drain plug, but when I took it out there was no metal that I could see adhering to it, but then with an engine that only has 1083 miles/53 hours on the clocks, I would hope that there wouldn't be any metal on the magnet just yet.

It's pretty obvious that after the 2006/2010 rebuilds on my M934, most of the PM's went by the wayside, if the lousy condition of the coolant and oil are any indication. We'll see tomorrow if the tranny and transfer case juices are in the same sorry states. Guess they ran her a while and then parked her until GP got their hands on it. It did come with 4 new batteries dated 2013 though, so they probably figured that those HAD to be replaced to get the truck mo-tating and headed to auction.

Mark

NovacaineFix

They sell those Fumoto drain plugs at several parts places and speed shops. I have seen them for years from Summit Racing, but those they stock are most likely for your run of the mill Chevy, Ford and Dodge variants.

They do have a web site, but they list all your common vehicles, no MV's are listed, but they carry several types for heavier equipment.
http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php

If you go to the site and use the Engine maker as Make, you can find several of the larger varieties of the drain plugs. If you know the thread size of your drain plug, they do list the sizes under each description.

Here is one for Cummins with a 1" by 18 thread pitch drain plug:
http://www.fumotousa.com/results.ph...ines+(including+L-10,+M-11,+N-14,++ISM+&+ISN)

Going to probably get one of these for my rig.

Just for you guys that do deep water forging, they have one with a safety clip to prevent anything from accidentally opening the drain plug
http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?partnumber=97

Last edited:

archmark

I didn't get around to changing the transmission and transfer case fluids on my M934 today as I had planned due to some permit drawings that I needed to finish (OK, I LIED, IT'S TOO **** COLD & WINDY OUT!) but tomorrow is another day and another chance to procrastinate!. I did fire the beast up and couldn't really tell if the new spin-on oil filter setup built up pressure any faster than the original canister setup did, so I'll just settle for a cheaper and cleaner oil change next time around...

68hunter

b38c5fce-7a26-459c-ba94-0514f49c1fef.jpg
Stored away nicely for the winter. I refuse to drive things I care about up here in the winter when they dump tons of salt on the roads to satisfy the people that don't know how to drive in slippery conditions.

68hunter

My brother, who just recently retired from the military was nice enough to some research on the truck for me a while ago. Going by the unit numbers that were on the bumper when I got it apparently it belonged to the 11 brigade air defense artillery 2-43 out of Fort Bliss Texas. He believes the truck went over with them to set up patriot missile batteries in the defense of Kuwait, and the gulf war. I figure if it made it around the world that far, I'm going to try and look after it the best I can.

Another Ahab

My brother, who just recently retired from the military was nice enough to some research on the truck for me a while ago. Going by the unit numbers that were on the bumper when I got it apparently it belonged to the 11 brigade air defense artillery 2-43 out of Fort Bliss Texas. He believes the truck went over with them to set up patriot missile batteries in the defense of Kuwait, and the gulf war. I figure if it made it around the world that far, I'm going to try and look after it the best I can.
It's almost always interesting and something special to learn the stories behind the hardware. Thanks for letting us know about the history of your rig here.

68hunter

Yes my Fort Bliss truck has been great as well, I am glad I got such a well maintained and reliable truck for my first one. Its never let me down, and repairs have all been minor. I love finding out about these trucks as well, I give the soldiers tons of respect for what they did with these things. I even left their names on the windshield. A cool fact I found out about the 11th brigade is that they made history on the night of January 18 1991 when Alpha battery 2-7 ADA recorded the very first intercept of a ballistic in combat with their patriot missile battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks