• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

archmark

I knew things were going way too well today. I got the transmission and secondary filter on the M934 drained and refilled with NAPA HD tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid and the transfer case drained, all with little mess no less.

I then grab the 5 gallon pail of what's supposed to be NAPA gear oil only to discover that my friendly NAPA man had given me 5 gallons of NAPA straight transmission fluid instead of the gear oil. Since he was kind enough to load both pails of fluids in the car
for me during a fierce downpour, I didn't think to check things twice, not even when I unloaded the fluids when I began work this AM.

I grab the green pail, knowing that was for the tranny, read the label to be sure and began work. Several hours later, I grab the other pail, check the label and ****!!!, I thought I was seeing things when the label said transmission fluid, not gear oil. After three or four double takes, all the day's good Karma quickly evaporated.

So, after muttering a few choice words about NAPA man, his wife, dog and three generations of his people back, I THROW everything in the truck box, lock things up and get home and set my alarm clock so that I can greet NAPA man bright and early tomorrow morning when his doors open at 7:30 AM to share some of the joy that I'm currently experiencing with him.

I know, shame on me for not checking things twice BEFORE I left the store. I guarantee it won't happen again when it comes to picking up an order from NAPA, rain pouring down or not...

frdtrkguy

Took the 934 out for a drive this weekend and the air pressure buzzer wouldn't go off.. It was cold out and was running right around 120 psi on both gauges. Some searching shows that this must be a pretty common problem with the 939 trucks..

sandcobra164

Dragged some stuff out of some lower properties due to the creek rising close to home. I put about 100 miles on my newish 14R20's but had so much fun pulling stuff to Safety!!!

sandcobra164

Took the 934 out for a drive this weekend and the air pressure buzzer wouldn't go off.. It was cold out and was running right around 120 psi on both gauges. Some searching shows that this must be a pretty common problem with the 939 trucks..
Mine did that one time. I had to replace the PPV Valve. A quick search will lead you to replace it and your air dryer if you have one. An ABS truck will have one, a non ABS truck doesn't have an air dryer. It's a good upgrade either way.

NovacaineFix

Didn't do squat.

Was raining, it was cold below 50 ( that is freezing by California standards).

I did play on the computer and found that when I took pics and video of when I changed out my 3 lever headlight switch some time ago, Google was kind enough to make a short little movie out of it for me.
I use Google photos to back up all the photos I take on my phone, so I guess when I took the pics and video of me changing out the switch, it assembled them into a movie.

Corny, but I didn't choose the music.

https://youtu.be/JfaTkNIuayQ

Last edited:

mdemars03

Sold my M52A2 for real this time. Down to one 5 ton now. Kind of a bitter sweet moment. The M52 was my first MV and with the help of family it was rebuilt from a run down truck to a decent running truck. It was a great truck for a starter though.

AZK9

Sold my M52A2 for real this time. Down to one 5 ton now. Kind of a bitter sweet moment. The M52 was my first MV and with the help of family it was rebuilt from a run down truck to a decent running truck. It was a great truck for a starter though.
I can pretty much feel your pain. If it went to a nice, new home... then it's all gonna be good.

Hang in there and have a great New Year to come! [thumbzup]

archmark

FINALLY got the transmission and transfer case fluid changes on my M934 completed after meeting my friendly NAPA man this AM and exchanging the bucket of transmission fluid for gear oil. Fired her up, worked through the gears a few times, added 1 quart to bring it up to spec and took off to get some fuel. Not a clash or clunk during either upshift or downshift, smooth as can be. I need to make a minor adjustment on the trans linkage and I think it's good to go, that part at least. With outside temps in the low 30's I don't know what the trans temp will be now, but it never did run hot. The fluids looked better the further back I went. The engine oil looked like ****, the transmission 'fluid' looked fair, more like a 30W oil with a very slight red/pinkish tinge which might have been the remainder of some old transmission fluid and the transfer case gear oil actually looked pretty good, not a clear/yellow like the new gear oil but more like a very weak coffee.

I flaked out on doing the diffs today, that'll come when I get a better transfer pump for the 5 gallon pail...

JohnnyBM931A2

Didn't do much today. Started the truck for the first time in about 5 or 6 days. Despite me draining the tanks religiously after every time I use the truck, the PPV valve still froze and was leaking air. The next day we have "decent" weather I will go out there and delete it from the system. I have a new replacement sitting in a box if I decide that I want to have one again.

Didn't do much today. Started the truck for the first time in about 5 or 6 days. Despite me draining the tanks religiously after every time I use the truck, the PPV valve still froze and was leaking air. The next day we have "decent" weather I will go out there and delete it from the system. I have a new replacement sitting in a box if I decide that I want to have one again.
Mine did the exact same thing yesterday. After spending 2hrs on Google and this site, I narrowed it down to the PPV.

archmark

I spent most of today running to various auto parts stores and looking at their "loaner" steering wheel pullers before finally throwing in the towel and going to my local Chi-Com Harbor Freight store and purchasing one of their fine, carcinogen chromium plated 8" pullers. The 20% off coupon helped ease the pain of giving them my money, but NOTHING can overcome the smell of the place. It's something akin to wet cardboard stored in a tightly shut shipping container sitting on a cargo ship or wharf for several months.

Anyway, I decided to try it on my M185A3 first and to make a long story short, it didn't work EXACTLY as I thought it would but with a little Kenyan ingenuity and generous amounts of sledge hammer applied to the cracking plastic of the wheel, off it came. The new steering wheel slid on with no effort at all and now it looks almost too **** purdy to drive.

Tomorrow the M934 gets hers. BTW, I'll soon have two lightly used steering wheels available should anybody need them. Little to no plastic left on them but with current scrap prices being what they are, I guess I'll just toss them into the high grass off the side of the road for the county mowers to "discover" next spring...

archmark

Time to stump the X-Spurts. The yellow ABS light has never come on in my M934, except during the initial systems function check and then it's extinguished, that is until it turned wet and cold recently. Now it seems that anytime the temp is 40 degrees or below and it's raining or damp out, after the function check the ABS light stays on. The truck is under cover, so the ABS wheel sensors aren't getting directly wet upon, so wassup wit dat? Are the ABS wheel sensors/computer temperature/moisture sensitive or what?

Thanks for your best guesses...

archmark

I'm planning on adjusting the line pressure cable on my M934 tomorrow 1st thing. I greased the slot and bolt well but mine's about 1/4" from being "dead flat" where is should be and it looks like I've got 5/8" of threads showing, so it should be an easy adjustment, just so long as I don't drop the collar bolt, nut or spring...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to stump the X-Spurts. The yellow ABS light has never come on in my M934, except during the initial systems function check and then it's extinguished, that is until it turned wet and cold recently. Now it seems that anytime the temp is 40 degrees or below and it's raining or damp out, after the function check the ABS light stays on. The truck is under cover, so the ABS wheel sensors aren't getting directly wet upon, so wassup wit dat? Are the ABS wheel sensors/computer temperature/moisture sensitive or what?

Thanks for your best guesses...
My best guess says that due to the cold the batteries aren't supplying enough voltage to make it happy.

low voltage will make the abs light come on, even when it's enough to crank vigorously.

NovacaineFix

Chi-Com Harbor Freight store and purchasing one of their fine, carcinogen chromium plated 8" pullers..... but NOTHING can overcome the smell of the place. It's something akin to wet cardboard stored in a tightly shut shipping container sitting on a cargo ship or wharf for several months.

Funny, I know that smell.

I can be blindfolded and transported 3 states away and I will always know if I am in a Harbor Freight store. You can smell the lead in the air.

71DeuceAK

LOL that's hilarious, but not so hilarious what it's probably doing to your body...
Now, could you be blindfolded and transported 3 states away and recognize the smell of a garage with an old Deuce parked in there? LOL

vrshack

Repaired my shutter Stat with new orings. I assume it is working, it never got above 160-170 when I ran it afterwards. I'm wondering if there is an issue with the fan clutch because when the Stat had air shooting out the hole in the end of it, the fan didn't sound loud like people have said it would. So it may not have even been engaged then either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks