• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

vrshack

Me and the boys loaded up in the 923 to pick up our new to us m105a2 trailer!

Not Sure yet but thinking about using it for fresh and grey water tanks and whatever else makes sense for camping. Maybe a generator and extra fuel??

Last edited:
I'm planning on adjusting the line pressure cable on my M934 tomorrow 1st thing. I greased the slot and bolt well but mine's about 1/4" from being "dead flat" where is should be and it looks like I've got 5/8" of threads showing, so it should be an easy adjustment, just so long as I don't drop the collar bolt, nut or spring...
After you adjust it tight just be sure to check for full throttle. I got mine tight and it was limiting the throttle some so had to readjust the u clamp that holds the cable sheath because I couldn't get it quite right with just the threads on the rod.

JohnnyBM931A2

Replaced my PPV. I'll see how that works out.

Now my next air related problem to deal with is the CTIS.. I have the "4 flashing lights syndrome" now that it is really cold out. After searching through the forum it seems to be a pretty common issue. All of the tires are holding air, and there are no leaks anywhere that I can hear. From what I read there are a couple of solutions. Some people get it to work after everything warms up and tries to operate. Others have replaced the proportioning valve in the cab which successfully solved the issue. As a matter of fact, I found a used valve online that the military had removed. It had the words " BAD.. 4 light flash" written on it. So I guess I will keep my eye out for a valve if warmer weather doesn't solve the issue. Speaking of that, does anyone sell new valves? Or do I just have to take a chance on a used take out part?

machinist75

Replaced the fuel line between the fuel filter and pump, orings in the primer pump and got her started. Ran crappy at first but cleared up the more it was driven. Believe it to be air in the lines. Bye the the way that hand primer sucks.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced my PPV. I'll see how that works out.

Now my next air related problem to deal with is the CTIS.. I have the "4 flashing lights syndrome" now that it is really cold out. After searching through the forum it seems to be a pretty common issue. All of the tires are holding air, and there are no leaks anywhere that I can hear. From what I read there are a couple of solutions. Some people get it to work after everything warms up and tries to operate. Others have replaced the proportioning valve in the cab which successfully solved the issue. As a matter of fact, I found a used valve online that the military had removed. It had the words " BAD.. 4 light flash" written on it. So I guess I will keep my eye out for a valve if warmer weather doesn't solve the issue. Speaking of that, does anyone sell new valves? Or do I just have to take a chance on a used take out part?
Push run flat as soon as you start your truck. Tell us what happens then after a few minutes.

sandcobra164

Bought a wireless bluetooth enabled radio and speaker system for mine. It's self contained, rugged and pretty loud so I'm sure it'll be an upgrade over using headphones and an MP3 player. Converted my wifes old phone into a bluetooth input device and currently uploading CD's to it and creating a playlist. It's nice to be doing this kind of stuff as part of preparation to a Rally rather than pulling hubs and greasing and packing bearings. I've been there many times.

gottaluvit

That few could be 15-20. Give it some time.... If it fails after that, let us know the pressure in each tire...
I have one tire with a slow leak and if I go a week or more without starting it I have to hit the run flat for ten seconds or so and then hit the highway button again and it'll start airing the tire up. In a week I cant even "see" the tire is low, but I still have to do this.

therooster2001

Drove the big guy today. Hard starting in cold weather, so I got out and hand primed a bit, then it started right up. While warming up, I head two air leaks from the CTIS valves. One was on the back and easy to snug up, the other is on the front. I tightened it too much and it leaked, I loosed and it leaked. Had to find a happy medium for it to not leak so bad. It only leaked when it was in run flat mode. There is no o-ring between the wheel valve tube and the valve itself, so it must have some crud or malformed. I'll tear it down when it gets warmer. Still love that CTIS system. Jumped in the truck and drove it around a bit to get things moving since it hadn't been started / moved in over a month. Wife and dog were with me. Sun on my face, driving 29K LBS of iron, nice....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451863817.715340.jpg

Red arrow is where the air leak is. It's just compression fitting. I did see the replacement sleeve, but don't think that's the issue. More picts when it gets torn down..

2016-01-03_16-32-02.jpg

Last edited:

therooster2001

Good looking machine...What's the miles per gallon?
Well, I haven't been able to gauge it that much since it was recovered, I put in 40 gallons and have not gone through it yet, but don't entirely trust the gauge. On the recovery it was close to what people have observed, doing 55, it was 8-10 MPG, and 65 was around 7-8, sometimes less.

JohnnyBM931A2

Push run flat as soon as you start your truck. Tell us what happens then after a few minutes.
Ran the truck again today. Went ahead and hit run flat immediately after it started. Run flat and the highway light flashed together for a short time. After that, it went back to just flashing the highway light. I stayed in the truck while it was running for 10-15 minutes. During that time, the highway light never stopped flashing. There was also no honking. The valve on the floor would buzz for a while, then stop. Then buzz for a while, then stop. It did this the entire time.

I went back into the house and let the truck run for another 10 minutes while I cooked a pizza. During that time, it may have honked once.. I can't be sure though. After the additional 10 minutes of running I went back out and shut the truck off. Right as the engine shut off the truck honked. As I went around the back of the truck to go over and open the air drains, I could hear an air leak. It was coming from the passenger side front-rear tire. It was a very strange leak that didn't make sense to me.. I couldn't feel any air leaking anywhere. It sounds like the air was leaking out underneath that hexagonal nut piece that goes into the tire. But like I said, I couldn't feel any air anywhere. It sounded like the air leak was inside the tire, which I thought was weird. None of the other tires were making any noise. I went back into the house, ate my pizza, and when I came out 10 minutes later the "leak" had stopped. I double checked, and it was not because all of the air leaked out. There was still a significant amount of air in the system. At that point I opened the drain valves, released all of the air, and went back into the house.

Anyone else ever experience this issue?

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

The CTIS has worked flawlessly over the past 6 months since I bought the truck. It's only now that it has been getting really cold out that it has been acting up. My search the other day led me to believe that it might be the proportioning valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks