• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

A couple days back mine needed a jump. I am only running two batteries and until then, even in cold the engine zipped with the starter, so I assumed two were fine. Lesson learned: if it came any way stock, there was a reason so leave it stock. Funny thing is I just got two thinking about putting a long stiff charge on the two that seemed dead when I got my truck. So each one, after two days charging, came to life. After my start failure the other day (which came after realizing I could charge the other two), I checked the installed batteries and one had 12.25v and one had 10v. I gave the one with 10v the same long slow stiff charge and it's now holding 12+v. Gonna give all the batteries a couple days and see what voltage they have.
All the batteries held charge, so it was time to reinstall them. Thought of an easy way to get them in there. Just load them on the CUCV tailgate, and back 'er in close. That made the dreaded lifting of the batteries an easy task. It cranked over very fast on all four batteries.20160107_122122.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

Didn't do anything with my truck today :( I was going to take it for one last drive before the really cold weather hits (by Sunday it's supposed to be 10 below with the wind chill.) However, someone is parked across the street from my house, and there's no way I would make the turn out of my driveway. Sucks.

However, I did receive a bunch of original M939 ads that I won on eBay recently (AM General and BMY,) so that made up for it :) I also saw a tan HEMMT on a flatbed going down I-294 southbound. That was pretty sweet :) Never actually seen one in person.

tobyS

That's awesome :) Are you making a shortened removable cargo bed for your tractor?
I have three things in mind but that was not one of them. I'll use it as a tractor-trailer and hopefully pull off a large hydraulic PTO from the transfer case. I want to dedicate one to a portable sawmill.

I'm not sure I've seen the configuration that you mean. Can you find a photo and attach a link? Are you changing your 931?

How about using an M1061 for a bed, it's 12 feet? Or a deuce bed?

What do you mean for "ads"...like marketing brochures?

Last edited:

tobyS

I build extremely high tension bandsaws. Yes hardwoods...thin but not veneer. Lots of different uses but thin lumber to be made into engineered beams is a main focus (70% low grade). We were going to make for parquet flooring at .200" finish, book-matched, but not right now, exporting is terrible (a German company we were to supply is on hold) and domestic thin woods markets are not well developed.

JohnnyBM931A2

I have three things in mind but that was not one of them. I'll use it as a tractor-trailer and hopefully pull off a large hydraulic PTO from the transfer case. I want to dedicate one to a portable sawmill.

I'm not sure I've seen the configuration that you mean. Can you find a photo and attach a link? Are you changing your 931?

How about using an M1061 for a bed, it's 12 feet? Or a deuce bed?

What do you mean for "ads"...like marketing brochures?
Sort of.. They were 1 and 2 page ads that came out in magazines. Mid to late 1980's. Not sure what the magazine was, but it was obviously aimed at military officials looking for the latest and greatest toys..

As far as the removable bed is concerned, I don't have any links. Essentially it's just a truck or trailer bed with one of those hitch pins welded to the bottom. Then when the bed is lifted to the correct height (using legs, a hoist, etc) you simply back the truck up and "hitch up" the bed. You also need to add stabilizers front and back to keep the bed from rotating or rocking back and forth, but it's pretty straightforward. The only real issue is that the bed sits higher than the bed on a standard cargo truck, because it has to sit on top if the fifth wheel assembly. But maybe if you added side skirts around the back and sides of the bed, it would look a little more normal.

tobyS

A Ahab, I've been in primary processing for 30 years. Lack of $$$ as with most entrepreneurs was the business killer. I'm the guy that should be building tomorrow's industry...but can't find funds. Realistic business projections don't make windfalls like today's banks demand.

I'm way ahead in the technology....but failed at finding market introduction capital in 88. I had a patent about to issue for the 2x tension, but went to DC and watched the Asians taking patents and all supporting documentation for the cost of a copy. I dropped the patent just before issue...but the prototype performed better than we expected right from the first cut. It was all hydraulic and Cummins 4b engine, horizontal moving band and to .002" depth of cut control. We could cut pieces one can see through from end to end and side to side.

The owner of the orange bandsaw machine made in Indy got to my banker in 88 after our product introduction. Funding anything with risk in 88 was not happening.

The details of ultra thin blades with wide band cutting ability at high tension, that don't fatigue crack and break, remains known only to a few. I know it's not patented and that any company I connect with can have a true proprietary advantage.

Do you want to know about vacuum drying with microwaves or passing high voltage through wet wood to internally heat it in vacuum drying? Been there and our state Corp for Science turned down my dryer $$$. Only computers got funded for several years. Later we were told they had no intention of funding outside of IT...but they had a quota for proposals to make it look like they were in the industrial technology development game...a falsity.

I know why we don't have descent jobs in the pipeline for our children and have the scars to prove it.

Last edited:

tobyS

Sort of.. They were 1 and 2 page ads that came out in magazines. Mid to late 1980's. Not sure what the magazine was, but it was obviously aimed at military officials looking for the latest and greatest toys..

As far as the removable bed is concerned, I don't have any links. Essentially it's just a truck or trailer bed with one of those hitch pins welded to the bottom. Then when the bed is lifted to the correct height (using legs, a hoist, etc) you simply back the truck up and "hitch up" the bed. You also need to add stabilizers front and back to keep the bed from rotating or rocking back and forth, but it's pretty straightforward. The only real issue is that the bed sits higher than the bed on a standard cargo truck, because it has to sit on top if the fifth wheel assembly. But maybe if you added side skirts around the back and sides of the bed, it would look a little more normal.

Now I understand Jon. It would sit high, but could make a tractor function as a cargo, then revert back to a tractor. Hmmmm. Might work well for a snow plow truck that could have a salt box during winter.

JohnnyBM931A2

JohnnyBM931A2

On a different note.. When I was in the truck today, I happened to look over at the right side of the dash. I had completely forgotten that the sticker from GovPlanet.com was on there with the item number for my truck. Is there any way to look up the original auction? Or should I just contact them directly? I would really love to see pictures of my truck before it was painted, especially if it still had unit markings on it :)

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a different note.. When I was in the truck today, I happened to look over at the right side of the dash. I had completely forgotten that the sticker from GovPlanet.com was on there with the item number for my truck. Is there any way to look up the original auction? Or should I just contact them directly? I would really love to see pictures of my truck before it was painted, especially if it still had unit markings on it :)
I was able to look mine up after the auction but I haven't tried lately.

mdemars03

Will take and upload pics tomorrow as it is dark now and I won't get much of a picture, but.... I installed a small hand operated crane in the bed of my 923 so it is much easier to lift those heavy odds and ends in to the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks