• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

All the batteries held charge, so it was time to reinstall them. Thought of an easy way to get them in there. Just load them on the CUCV tailgate, and back 'er in close. That made the dreaded lifting of the batteries an easy task. It cranked over very fast on all four batteries.View attachment 602452
Ok. It was 11° this morning and time to see how the four batteries held up compared to just two. It cranked over very fast (like it was 80° out) and held up to a total of 30 seconds or so cranking. The 8.3, of course, didn't fire at first without the ether button. Then after about the fourth six-second turning with the ether, I was actually able to keep it running by feathering the throttle up and down. I just expect that out of a low compression deisel as the nhc250 I drove in Germany started funny like that too in the cold. Only it never needed ether. (The only one in my platoon that didn't!) I am very happy with the way the four batteries didn't even slow down on cranking any whatsoever, and I stand corrected on thinking I could get away with two batteries. I am blessed to have brought my other two to life.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my M270A1 today and passed Tornadogt in route with his m915 after he got his dry van trailer. I took a stroll around the yard and saw some black vultures keeping a sharp eye on me as well as an omen for the many M920s there destined to be torched. Still kind of neat I think.

Attachments

JohnnyBM931A2

Started my truck up today, after about a week of really cold temps and snow. Started right up, in maybe 1 turn of the engine.. Didn't even have the block heater hooked up (it is a little warmer today, luckily.) Figured it was a good day to do it. Tomorrow is supposed to be decent again, but then it's going to snow later in the day. Then this weekend we have below zero temps both days :(

So far the batteries seem to be doing ok.. No issues starting after a week, despite multiple days of below zero weather.
Maybe if I get off work early tomorrow, I can take a drive before the weather turns nasty again :driver:

azteclizard

fired the old girl up last week after she sat for 6 months... i was deployed. figured id see how she does at 5 degrees..... took a bit of cranking, but she fired up. not bad for a 50 yr old M52a2 running on pure WMO.

azteclizard

picked up the white oak for the spacer/blocking between frame and bed.. cut them to length.. mapped out all the bolts and rivets. drilled 1 1/8 holes.. perfect fit.
got the shortened bed mounted.. looks like stock.
i did leave an 8 inch gap between the bed and cab. i intend on rerouting the exhaust to duals behind the cab.
think I'm gonna strip and repaint the tailgate today..

machinist75

Took my heater core out, it was leaking. Once out all it was needing was the outlet tube resoldered. Got that done and reinstalled, no more leaks. Also the shutter-stat was not working, took it apart and replaced the orings. Waiting on a new primer pump from France of all places, hopefully can get all the air out of the lines and get it running like a top again.

JohnnyBM931A2

Ran my truck yesterday, and took it for a drive :smile::driver: Supposed to get pretty cold again here so I wanted to take advantage of the "good" weather yesterday.

I won't be doing much with my truck for a while. I just learned that the results of my MRI on Thursday were not good :( My doctor says my lower back issue is the worst that he has ever seen. I need to have surgery asap, so I'm going to have to take it easy for a while.. <sigh> :(

I bought another 1911 today to help make me feel better. Thinking about also picking up a cheap Harbor Freight welder for when I am recovering from the surgery. I think having welding skills would be very useful for working on the truck in the future.

JohnnyBM931A2

picked up the white oak for the spacer/blocking between frame and bed.. cut them to length.. mapped out all the bolts and rivets. drilled 1 1/8 holes.. perfect fit.
got the shortened bed mounted.. looks like stock.
i did leave an 8 inch gap between the bed and cab. i intend on rerouting the exhaust to duals behind the cab.
think I'm gonna strip and repaint the tailgate today..
We need pics! :)

nopics

Another Ahab

Ran my truck yesterday, and took it for a drive :smile::driver: Supposed to get pretty cold again here so I wanted to take advantage of the "good" weather yesterday.

I won't be doing much with my truck for a while. I just learned that the results of my MRI on Thursday were not good :( My doctor says my lower back issue is the worst that he has ever seen. I need to have surgery asap, so I'm going to have to take it easy for a while.. <sigh> :(

I bought another 1911 today to help make me feel better. Thinking about also picking up a cheap Harbor Freight welder for when I am recovering from the surgery. I think having welding skills would be very useful for working on the truck in the future.
I'm sorry to hear about your back issues. I sure hope that all works out well. Please keep us posted.

And I think I got an email form Harbor Freight yesterday about some big blow-out sale they're having now. You might want to check them out online.

JohnnyBM931A2

I'm sorry to hear about your back issues. I sure hope that all works out well. Please keep us posted.

And I think I got an email form Harbor Freight yesterday about some big blow-out sale they're having now. You might want to check them out online.
Thank you

Yeah I'll have too take a look at what deals are going on, if any. I also have one of those 20% off coupons :)

JohnnyBM931A2

Ouch! That's too bad. I hope you get better soon! What's a 1911? (Pardon my ignorance)
It's a handgun, typically chambered in 45acp. I already have one, but it's expensive and rare now that they no longer make that particular version. As a result I shoot it very little. So I bought a cheaper, lower grade 1911 to use as my "beater" gun. I don't care if this one gets scratched up, etc. But we're getting a little off topic here, and I don't want to make the mods angry.

Another Ahab

1911 is the old standard GI .45; you've seen them a thousand times but just never heard them referred to this way (I think that was the year the weapon was designed).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks