• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

skav

Been a busy week and haven't had time to put much together, but here's the jist of it. I didn't do a build thread but there's some scattered posts floating around. Ford Mechanic has done well picking up my slack.

Some threads...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145028-RG-33-MRAP-bumper
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?148489-Front-bumper-storage-Looking-for-ideas
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135158-M939-Frame-Extensions
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?128020-winch-installs

The bumper is from an RG-33 MRAP variant.
The boxes are aluminum MRAP stowage boxes.
I fabbed the winch plate, bumper mounts and box brackets. Added factory frame extensions. Total added weight for everything is close to 1200#. Rides like a Caddy now.

Some of the "after" pictures from the next day. Front axle disengaged to assist in making a mess. T-case in low so I could control speed with throttle since we are on a bit of a slope. The boys named this place the "Dirty Spot", lol.

View attachment 604581
View attachment 604582
View attachment 604584

Brody is my co-pilot and rides in the passenger seat. Brayden is my navigator and rides in the middle. Brayden said he couldn't see the tires so I made a video for him.

https://youtu.be/nbmwC8w2MkI
Do you have info on the area lights?

JohnnyBM931A2

I know the surgery will go fine and wishing you a speedy recovery. [thumbzup]
Thank you. I certainly hope that will be the case. I'm not very happy about having to do this. Even more so today, now that the hospital called to discuss the surgery with me.. Apparently my insurance says that I am responsible for paying more than $3000 of the estimated $16,000 cost of the surgery :( That's on top of work being slow lately, AND me being out of work for 2 weeks now for the surgery (and possibly some time after that for recovery.) That's extremely frustrating, and not how I wanted to start out the new year.

Sucks

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have info on the area lights?
They're all from Ebay. Really the only thing specific to give you would be that each LED is 10W a piece on my lights. So the 2 fronts are 80W, the doubles on the sides are 20W and the singles are 10W. Most lights are 3-5W per LED. Since all mine have the 10W LEDs, I get alot more light in a smaller package.

SUPERSPORT

Tracked down the bad low pressure switch that was causing my buzzer to not shut off.

Installed H4 headlights from Those Military Guys. Not exactly plug n play but they work.

Tracked down reason I've never had brights. Bad wire in loom between dimmer switch and headlights. Ran my own wire. Nice to actually be able to see at night.

Installed new ether bottle. First time I've ever used the system. Great to start truck on first crank in below freezing weather.

Now I have to take it back to storage because some idiot neighbor calls the city to complain every time they see my truck.:-x

infidel got me

neighbor

I am lucky that my neighbors are cool, but I do live on 5 acres, not in a subdivision. It probably helps that I work on their stuff when it breaks down. Try a peace offering or get him hooked on the hobby with an all expense free ride in your 923!:wink: Good job on the broke wire, whereabouts was it rubbed through?

mdemars03

Took it out for a drive and ended up at a 4 Wheel Parts store. There were a bunch of jeeps and trucks getting together to go on a trail run. I didn't have time to go on the run but at least got to hang out for a little bit. Met up with another MV while I was there. It was a good time. Wish I had enough time to go on the trail run though.

:driver:

20160123_121848.jpg

sandcobra164

Nearly killed the batteries starting mine this morning in 20 degree weather. Operator error. With all the flooding that went on a few weeks ago, I became concerned someone might want to take it home so I flipped the emergency shut-off valve on the top of the PT pump to the "Off" position. Once corrected, it fired up with about 30 seconds of cranking. Took it for a drive around the block and all is well. Turns out, that was a great idea. Had an unexpected visit. My brother in law and his family came over from Mississippi and my nephew Matt wanted to go for a ride. Truck was already a little warm so it fired right off. Second ride around the block went good and I let my nephew drive it down my dirt road. It may have only been half a mile and never got above maybe 10 mph but he was all smiles!!!

therooster2001

Started the big guy up to keep things moving. I had sent off the NOCO G7200 to fix the firmware problem I had posted about before, so it's not on a charger. No issues, just a little sluggish starting in the cold. Was going to turn on the heater core, but didn't get to that (I isolated it bak when I put on a take off, but hadn't opened the valves yet). CTIS still a bit leaky because of the cold, still need to tackle the front. Had a spare tire in the back for about 6 months, and it was time to get it out. I ended up backing up to a snowbank, then pushed it into the bank and slowly lowered it down. The problem was that it ended up flat. Needed Soldier A, B, and C to pick it up and roll it into the garage. Anybody have a better way to pick this up solo? Scored a Spicer CTIS ECU on Ebay that was the 70 PSI version for the ones besides the wrecker. It was labeled as "Nice, but untested". Worked just great. This is a newer model than I have so I had to turn on the service lights for it to light up. (found that out on the boards awhile ago), so I didn't panic. Happy that is works though. It aired up to 70 and did a different honk than I'm used to. Score. Cleaned up the garage and organized some stuff I had gotten from Glen. Time to start selling them off to the needy, as that's why I went and rescued them from the crusher. Going to make myself a vendor or a Pro, or whatever it is so I can sell.

Edit: Premium is what it's called. Done..

Last edited:

MtnSnow

The hospital my wife works for was having a themed dinner & dance for their physicians and the theme was M.A.S.H this past Thursday evening.
They knew that I had military trucks so they asked my wife if we would bring them, of course she said yes so I prep'd both the 923 and 925 (even with them being newer than MASH era) and they were the hit of the party.
Had many of the Docs climbing in them to get their pictures taken and such. Even have the hospital CEO saying he wants one now! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks