• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

SUPERSPORT

That's the cheapest I've heard or seen yet.

Ohio's got it going on.

Lowest I've caught out this way (Charlottesville VA) was $1.58.
Looks like it. We've been hovering in in the low $1.20s with occasional dips closer to $1 and weekly spikes to $1.50s-$1.60s. I normally get gas when gas buddy dings me that gas prices are rising in my area. That is one useful app.

As for my 5 ton... I added some diesel fuel stabilizer and topped off the fuel tank the other day. Probably won't get much more driving in this winter.

71DeuceAK

@JohnnyBM931A2...that must have been a great sight to behold!
@theRooster2001, you mean you'd lose the truck, or lose it and intentionally flatten one of those little cars? Or both. Yeah I imagine traffic must suck there.

LOL at "Spoiled 5 ton that lives indoors"...well, it's in its retirement days now, isn't it? I mean, it is after all a decommissioned military vehicle...

therooster2001

Intentionally flatten the little cars. I actually drive a small car myself, but when you're in the big trucks even cute little 4x4's are tiny. I try to avoid the traffic by doing the off hours, but I would put Denver up as the worst traffic even against California. Maybe only LA traffic on the 405 competes. My drive is about .5 hr with no traffic, sometimes 1.5 to 2 hours with. I keep the big guy away from that. I drive on the major tollways to avoid it when I have to cross towns. Mostly I stay p up north in the farm lands. I need to find a cool farmer and take to the fields. Anyway, back to the thread topic. I plan to paint the inside of the bed, measure a toe in issue, and paint the rest of the clevis hooks. I also plan to get some of the Glen items sorted and put them out in the classifieds for the things I've rescued.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished my rear chain assembly mounting. I picked up this sling at the rally to use in the rear pintle. It's too heavy to put in the bed by myself so it needed to store in place to ease handling. I bought one of the M939 tie down point upgrade kits and used 2 of those loops mounted under the bed to stow the hooks. The extra slack is hung from the rear shackles, but serves no load bearing purpose. It's not as close to the ground as it looks. The front of the truck is on flat ground with the rear being on a hill.

The chain assembly is all 7/8" and didn't come with any hooks. I added rated couplings and hooks to complete it. It now weighs about 200lbs. and added some needed weight in the back. This assembly was part of the BII for the M88 tanks best I can tell from the NSN and pictures.

20160129_150439.jpg

20160129_150626.jpg

M88

M88A1_during_Operation_Iraqi_Freedom.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That really sets off an already beauty of a truck. I remember seeing that at the rally. You have a lot of hours in her.
Thanks. My back and shoulders know the exact amount of man hours in my truck, down to the second. Lol.

Did we meet at the rally? I remember you saying you were going but the whole screen name vs. real name thing messed me up a little on remembering who I met. I remember every face I ever met but have never been good with names.

JohnnyBM931A2

That's still a great price compared to two years ago! Ours is hanging just over $2. and gas is $1.49.

My 5 ton has a flat. It has CTIS, but I see the hole in the tread. Has anyone used them high-end plugs with success on these 14R 20s?
I saw a military surplus "plugging" kit on eBay not too long ago.. Said it would work on 14r20's. As long as there is sufficient tread left on the tire, I don't think it should be a problem. Are you going to have a tire shop do it, or are you going to try to DIY?

gottaluvit

Thanks. My back and shoulders know the exact amount of man hours in my truck, down to the second. Lol.

Did we meet at the rally? I remember you saying you were going but the whole screen name vs. real name thing messed me up a little on remembering who I met. I remember every face I ever met but have never been good with names.
I am not sure. I was only there for a few hours at the swap meet bsing with folks and scarfing up goodies. I was the nut with the black '10 Camaro that was orange by the time I left. I was inroute to visit my dad in FL. I am not sure if I spoke to you or not, but I left some drool marks on that truck!

gottaluvit

I saw a military surplus "plugging" kit on eBay not too long ago.. Said it would work on 14r20's. As long as there is sufficient tread left on the tire, I don't think it should be a problem. Are you going to have a tire shop do it, or are you going to try to DIY?
Good to know there are plugs being used on these tires. I will do it myself, or at least try. If not, theres a real nice heavy truck tire shop that I am on the good side of since I ordered extra rim seals for and took to them.

JohnnyBM931A2

@JohnnyBM931A2...that must have been a great sight to behold!
@theRooster2001, you mean you'd lose the truck, or lose it and intentionally flatten one of those little cars? Or both. Yeah I imagine traffic must suck there.

LOL at "Spoiled 5 ton that lives indoors"...well, it's in its retirement days now, isn't it? I mean, it is after all a decommissioned military vehicle...
What sight are you referring to? :p

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure. I was only there for a few hours at the swap meet bsing with folks and scarfing up goodies. I was the nut with the black '10 Camaro that was orange by the time I left. I was inroute to visit my dad in FL. I am not sure if I spoke to you or not, but I left some drool marks on that truck!
Well if you make it down there this year, you have an MV seat to ride in if you end up in the Camaro again. I didn't do too much heavy offroading at the last one because I had a bed full of parts. I won't have that problem at the next one.

You might even get to ride with me and Gimpy to hunt down a covert operations vehicle in the middle of the night, lol....Shenanigans!

therooster2001

I did the rookie mistake in the 5-ton last weekend. I left the master on! Had to break out the old school charger for the NOCO would'nt even see it when it's that low. I charged the batteries in 12v separately, then put them together, and kept charging in 24v. It's been flashing 25% when I left it after 4 hours, but doing the math it should take around 13-14 hours to charge complete, so I guess that's right on track. So without being able to run the big guy, I just checked the shocks for oil dripping (looked fine), painted the clevis hooks black, painted the bed, and cleaned up a little. I'll go back tomorrow and check.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the M88, that's a great looking machine:

- Is the mission tank recovery, or is it for something else like combat engineering or something?
Not just tank recovery, an M88A2 Hercules will recover anything around 70 tons or less. They're usually found in tank or combined arms units, but during the late war in Iraq they were sprinkled around theater to all types of units to recover Abrams, Bradleys, Strykers, MRAPs, etc. We had one in my Stryker Infantry battalion. A M88 Herc will snatch a Stryker out of a canal with ease.

Another Ahab

I did the rookie mistake in the 5-ton last weekend. I left the master on! Had to break out the old school charger for the NOCO would'nt even see it when it's that low. I charged the batteries in 12v separately, then put them together, and kept charging in 24v. It's been flashing 25% when I left it after 4 hours, but doing the math it should take around 13-14 hours to charge complete, so I guess that's right on track. So without being able to run the big guy, I just checked the shocks for oil dripping (looked fine), painted the clevis hooks black, painted the bed, and cleaned up a little. I'll go back tomorrow and check.
Painting in Colorado, in January?

You have a garage I'm guessing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks