• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Went to a mechanic and starting talking about install a new winch on the my M923 A2, the mechanic said will be a lot work, I think will not, he will only extend the frame and weld a plate underneath and do some wire work.
what do you think? Any ideas?
Its all Perspective. That truck is big and intimidating. It sounds simple enough to me. But I have been assembling cranes and driving pile for 15 years. If you asked me to reprogram a computer " That's a lot of work no way man"

Amer-team

you might watch for someone that is scrapping out an M925, get the frame rails and inserts, bolt them in and then you only need to fabricate the winch mounting that you are looking for and run a power leg. It is nice to have a good impact wrench for this project and a couple of friends to share the excitement with.

Plane Fast

Finished up some projects on the m923. Greased the hard to reach zerk fitting. (Another warning about harbor freight stuff) I just happen to take apart one of tool attachments in the zerk kit. It was full of metal shavings!
image.jpgimage.jpg
Second time, I've had something like this from them. (First was a 5 gal bucket oil transfer pump)
This is the third time I've greased the truck. Man.. it's still taking up grease. Two tubes.
Found the speedo drive was loose and leaking. Fixed it.

Finished the wiring for the go-light. image.jpgimage.jpg

Inflated the tires back to 70psi. (Some o-rings have a slow leak)

Finished the air ride seat install. image.jpgimage.jpg

Worked on the MRAP air dryer. Still having the relief valve opening on the first two purges. So I changed out the desiccant filter. I was surprised to find that the 6 month old filter had water on it. I drain my tanks after every drive. No water ever comes out.
image.jpg After filter change, still got the over pressure.:roll:

Brought the boys for a test drive. First thing I noticed, was how nice the transmission shifted! I guess I'm getting enough grease into the axles now!

Second.. This air ride seat is like butter! I could drive to the Left coast in this seat! It did very well off-roading too.

image.jpg

Smckerigan

CTIS valve core

image.jpgWe'll I've been working on my M939A2 off and on, and I've had trouble filling the two front tires as it takes 15 to 20 minutes to fill one tire from 20psi to 70. I went around to the fronts and decided to tear into it. As you can see in the picture this was hiding in the valve steam. You can't see it very well by looking into the steam but I caught a little bit of orange color. It took a drill bit and some drilling to get it removed and now it takes 5 mins to fill. This was one of my CTIS inflate and deflate problems I've been fighting since I got the truck.

tobyS

View attachment 609339We'll I've been working on my M939A2 off and on, and I've had trouble filling the two front tires as it takes 15 to 20 minutes to fill one tire from 20psi to 70. I went around to the fronts and decided to tear into it. As you can see in the picture this was hiding in the valve steam. You can't see it very well by looking into the steam but I caught a little bit of orange color. It took a drill bit and some drilling to get it removed and now it takes 5 mins to fill. This was one of my CTIS inflate and deflate problems I've been fighting since I got the truck.
What, the drill bit?

Plane Fast

Where did you get the seat? What did it set you you back? I like the tall back!
I bought them at auction. I have one left that I will put in the classifieds. (I have one member looking at it now)

The prices are all over the place at the moment. Just make some offers to find the best deals.

Yeah the tall back is great!

Plane Fast

I have the same seats coming at some point. Did you have to make any special brackets or just drill new holes?
No I used 2"x 1/8 flat stock under the rails, and drilled four new holes. I will be changing the set up though. I don't believe the mounting points though the floor will be strong enough for a front impact. Even with the flat stock and 3" washers underneath. I'm going to do like other members and use the large stock flat plate and weld C channel to it. That way you can use the stock mounting points.

Artisan

snip

Finished the air ride seat install. View attachment 609266View attachment 609267

I have the same seats, I put two in my M916 and I have
two more for my M925A1.
Did you use a pedestal or did you bolt it right to the floor?
Do you wish you had used a pedestal? Looks like a long ways
from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the seat. If you
pump it FULL of air you get some height but sacrifice ride if I remember right.

Plane Fast

No the ride height was perfect. Even the wife liked the height.

So far, I need the air bag filled all the way. Because the shocks are a little soft in compression. It had too much up and down movement as well.

The seat rides very well!:beer:

Last edited:

Plane Fast

That's one of my projects as well. How'd it go? Any issues, tips and/or cautions?

That switch plate looks pretty nice mounted there! [thumbzup]
For the switch plate use aluminum. I had some steel stock on hand. So that's what I used. (Took forever cutting out the small box, drill and taping all the holes) That location works real well. Just test fit for CTIS box plug clearance. (I have mine off because I don't use it)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks