• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

ross165123

got my injector pump back form the shop, looked nice after the rebuild. installed it went to start the truck and it cranked right up to 600.rpms and continued to climb all the way to 2200 rpms..... so horse show is a nogo

ross165123

yea I even took the throttle linkage off and sat there with the engine as my wife cranked it

I started a thread so I don't clog up this one with trouble shooting

Piper Cub

Two weeks ago I installed my new drivers seat (that is a way more complicated process than it needed to be!), reattached some of the insulation to the back of the cab, new headlights, removed the old strap and replaced the bolts holding the jerry can bracket to the fender (again way harder than it should have been), removed the old fire extinguisher bracket form the fuel tank guard so it'll stop rattling at me, and finally adjusted all the tire pressures. Next up will be a new floor mat since I have 85 of them, new cab insulation including on the hard top, engine oil, and transmission flush and conversion to ATF.

20160317_173026[1].jpg 20160317_185841[1].jpg20160317_185904[1].jpg

Everyone should get a kick out of this. All three of my 5-tons use two batteries and I've been meaning to change one back to four batteries to see if there's much difference in starting ability. I chose the m923 since there is nothing holding the batteries in place and it would be pretty quick to do. So I put two more fully charged batteries in. Keep in mind I get my 6TL batteries from Napa and they have a rated output of 850 amps, but when I had them tested they actually put out over 1200 amps. So there I am tightening the last positive lead when the ratchet I was using slipped out of my fingers and landed on the battery box. I was blinded by the flash, showered with sparks, and fell back out of the truck. After I picked myself up off the ground and looked back in the truck I realized that the ratchet that I was using had been torched in half. That's a lot of juice!!!

Last edited:

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone should get a kick out of this. All three of my 5-tons use two batteries and I've been meaning to change one back to four batteries to see if there's much difference in starting ability. I chose the m923 since there is nothing holding the batteries in place and it would be pretty quick to do. So I put two more fully charged batteries in. Keep in mind I get my 6TL batteries from Napa and they have a rated output of 750 amps, but when I had them tested they actually put out over 1200 amps. So there I am tightening the last positive lead when the ratchet I was using slipped out of my fingers and landed on the battery box. I was blinded by the flash, showered with sparks, and fell back out of the truck. After I picked myself up off the ground and looked back in the truck I realized that the ratchet that I was using had been torched in half. That's a lot of juice!!!
boy glad your ok!!!.......i guy i worked with had that happen with a dozer and the battery blew up.....lost his vision for about a month.....still has trouble from it...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone should get a kick out of this. All three of my 5-tons use two batteries and I've been meaning to change one back to four batteries to see if there's much difference in starting ability. I chose the m923 since there is nothing holding the batteries in place and it would be pretty quick to do. So I put two more fully charged batteries in. Keep in mind I get my 6TL batteries from Napa and they have a rated output of 850 amps, but when I had them tested they actually put out over 1200 amps. So there I am tightening the last positive lead when the ratchet I was using slipped out of my fingers and landed on the battery box. I was blinded by the flash, showered with sparks, and fell back out of the truck. After I picked myself up off the ground and looked back in the truck I realized that the ratchet that I was using had been torched in half. That's a lot of juice!!!
Always disconnect Negative cable first and reconnect last. Lucky you didn't blind yourself and burn the truck to the ground.
PPE= safety glasses. Stay safe.

Always disconnect Negative cable first and reconnect last. Lucky you didn't blind yourself and burn the truck to the ground.
PPE= safety glasses. Stay safe.
Whatever... dad...

The positive just happened to be last. I never disconnected the negative out of simplicity. Besides if I hadn't had that popcorn before hand it would have never happened.

G'day everyone,....

So how did it turn out,... much difference in starting?

Inquiring minds want to know,...
;)

Aussie.
Well... After I changed my shorts...:shock:

I was pleasantly surprised with how much faster the big 855 spun over. Probably not worth it if your using the truck in the warm summer months, but I could definitely see the advantages if the truck sees any kind of wintertime use.
Surprising what 2400 amps can do!

Jakelc15

Well... After I changed my shorts...:shock:

I was pleasantly surprised with how much faster the big 855 spun over. Probably not worth it if your using the truck in the warm summer months, but I could definitely see the advantages if the truck sees any kind of wintertime use.
Surprising what 2400 amps can do!
Thanks for the follow-up. Cranked faster and that was even after welding on your tools! That had to have drawn some amps!

infidel got me

welding with batteries

Hopefully it was a harbor freight ratchet and not a snap-on! We always test our batteries by grounding the post together --- if it will melt a half inch piece of metal it should start the truck.
Glad the only thing hurt was your feelings. Remember kids, popcorn and batteries don't mix!:popcorn:aua:doh:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks