• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were able to get the old one out? Please, share how you did it! I have tried disassembling the trunnion bolt on five different assemblies and can't get a single one to budge.
Did you take the torsion bars loose directly above it? After taking those loose and removing the nut from the back, it just took a pry bar to take the weight off the bolt and it slid out by hand. Then I hooked the shop crane to the hood handle to get everything up where I could get to it. I had everything to do this before adding the winch but forgot about it. The winch mount didn't present a problem for removing the bolt itself, but I didn't have a good angle to use the pry bar and there wasn't much room for my hands to line up the bushing so the bolt would go all the way in.

Swamp donkey-- you must be drinking some of that high octane Coffey1 has up there in S.C. Save some work for the next day! lol
I like doing the non-stop back to back projects like that. I got all that done in about 9 hours all by my lonesome, with the bearing torquing taking up a good bit of that. It's rare that I get that much uninterrupted time in the daylight these days though or I'd do it more often.

Ken put on a good show and ended up with a very nice truck as a reward. Envious is an understatement.

Stranger

Did you take the torsion bars loose directly above it? After taking those loose and removing the nut from the back, it just took a pry bar to take the weight off the bolt and it slid out by hand.
I have only tried to remove them with the entire hood support beam and bracket removed from the truck (no hood, no truck attached). So, there was literally no weight on them and I couldn't get the bolt to budge on any of the five I have. I can get the nut off, but no amount of soaking in Kroil, pressure, or beating with a hammer will get the bolt to budge.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only tried to remove them with the entire hood support beam and bracket removed from the truck (no hood, no truck attached). So, there was literally no weight on them and I couldn't get the bolt to budge on any of the five I have. I can get the nut off, but no amount of soaking in Kroil, pressure, or beating with a hammer will get the bolt to budge.
I'm not sure then. The bolt is smooth until it necks down to the theaded end. If it wasn't greased then maybe the rubber bushing bonded to the bolt or the metal sleeve inside the upper portion rusted to the bolt. Other than that I don't see how they won't come apart, especially if they were off the truck where you could take a hammer to them. The old one slid out by hand and the new one went in the same.

Smckerigan

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgWell, it was finally nice out about a week ago so my M925A2 went from tan back to 383 green. After reading the posts about Behr paint and how to paint and all the different tricks here is what it looks like.

Smckerigan

I really didn't think the Behr paint would go on this easy with a Hvlp gun with a 1.8 tip. When i got the truck it was very clean and didn't need a lot of body work. I started on a day that was 80 degs and pressure washed it all. I stared by thinning the paint with water and started out. It took 2 gallons of paint to do the truck. It's so easy to clean up and to get overspray off Windows . Now I'm going to finish off the camo step next when the weather gets a little nicer out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I really didn't think the Behr paint would go on this easy with a Hvlp gun with a 1.8 tip. When i got the truck it was very clean and didn't need a lot of body work. I started on a day that was 80 degs and pressure washed it all. I stared by thinning the paint with water and started out. It took 2 gallons of paint to do the truck. It's so easy to clean up and to get overspray off Windows . Now I'm going to finish off the camo step next when the weather gets a little nicer out.
Yea same with my 934 chassis. 2gals seems to be the number. But it applies easy and dries quickly

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

WV New Guy

Behr also

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgA little body work for me also I plan on using a total of 3 gallons of the Behr spraying with the Wagner Flexio 590 . Working good so far both side of the rear undercarriage done along with the bedsides and tailgate. Still need to finish hood and cab and front undercarriage .

JohnnyBM931A2

Well.. Due to overwhelming medical bills from my surgery, and some credit card debt that I need to pay off, I listed my 5 ton for sale today :sad: I love it to death, and I hate to see it go, but there's just no other way. I'm also planning on selling my '66 Ford Fairlane as well, so I can get a more "normal" daily driver.. <sigh>

On a more positive note.. I should point out that my CTIS started working flawlessly again once it was warmer outside. That made me happy.

Another Ahab

Me too, I'm sorry you got those problems. But hoping that they all turn around for you soon enough.

And the CTIS; that's good. Take any victory you can get. [thumbzup]

WV New Guy

Wild with the spray gun

Well since I'm still out of commission with my arm and the wife wanting to take the 5 Ton to a couple veteran events she's been working on it. She's sanded the entire truck using Her skil sander . Then she broke out the new Wagner Flexio 590 well now the entire truck is panted. She has mad body work skills it's crazy I never expected this I knew she could turn a wrench she put pipes on my Harley before we were married for my birthday . Yes she has a sister sorry she's dating a soldier from the 10th mountain. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks