• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, so it was a busy Thursday. Gave it about 8 hours worth of work, some motivation.

Got my passengers toolbox off and my 931 fuel tank installed. Used the same mounting as the other saddles that were there even though it is a smaller tank. I had to cut the head of one bolt off that goes in behind the transfer case mount. I just left it out on the tank saddles and put a tack weld where it was on the side. I did have to bend one of the ears on the tank back where it would allow the tank to be moved forwards or backwards slightly. I bent the ear flat so that the front strap would tuck just inside the fuel filler neck. So I did not have to re-drill the frame for the new tank saddles.It is sitting at the moment filled with vinegar to clean it out. It was pretty bad off inside. I plan on doing the same box I did on the drivers side tucked up under the bed there right over the tank. I do drive mine a lot and at distance and we all know how much more Love's and Pilot's fuel is over a Kroger kwik shop is. That .35 to .50 cents difference can add up. So utilizing 45 gals of that tank and 65 gal of my main tank @ about 8mpg empty = Long way and Deep in the wallet.

Moved my big toolbox and the saddles into the bed and mounted them up in the bed about 10" off the floor. I plan on doing another toolbox next to his one in the future when I acquire one. It will allow me to tuck my tow bar under it nicely. I also mounted another can holder to it. The toolbox with my impact and sockets is just sitting up there at the moment. I just picked up some 90 degree pieces of steel tonight and I will weld them to the top of the box so I can take the box out if needed. I think I may have to add an under brace at some point. maybe across the whole front of the truck with some long steel 1/2" sections I have. It also helped where I mounted them for stacking up to six 6x6 blocks and one 4x6 block on the side and five 4x4 blocks but could stack more on top of it just didn't have anymore handy. I do not use my troop seats at all so keeping them from folding down was not a big deal to me. Otherwise just mount a it right in the middle.

I also mounted the entire crane/toolbox unit off a 931 into my bed on the side. Got it bolted down working on making it a fold down unit. Will post pics later. Ran out of daylight.

I also got the extra boxes mounted in the old spare tire area. I am going to add another long deep box tomorrow next to the other. The big middle box can hold 4 gallon size jugs of fluids. I typically carry 2 concentrate antifreeze and 2 of rotella. I keep one 5 gallon can filled with distilled water.

I started my cold air intake modification. it is just the first fab up or so. I have some clearance issues on closing the hood It is a 6 inch T reduced to the 5" to go back into the original piping to the air box and 6 inch into the air filter 46664. I am planning on cutting out the area around the old blackout light I removed to 8" total. With an 8 inch hose running up to the filter. The filter will ultimately be in a box with two 8 inch openings on the top of it. I will also cut out the passengers side inlet for the air box hose to 8 inches. and run a hose across the hood there as well depending on clearance with the engine. Add a T into that hose and run the air box hose as it is with a reduction.

Attachments

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Your rig looks great, that tractor is a beast.

And I can't remember seeing a rear dual-axle Pinz before; very cool.
I'm not a Pinz guy, but I believe that is a 712M, but I'm not 100% sure that is the only model that has tandem axle rear. Most of the one's I see are usually 4 wheels. Most if the Unimogs I see are 6 wheel, but I assume it's the same, some models are 4 some are 6.

srodocker

Ok, so it was a busy Thursday. Gave it about 8 hours worth of work, some motivation.

Got my passengers toolbox off and my 931 fuel tank installed. Used the same mounting as the other saddles that were there even though it is a smaller tank. I had to cut the head of one bolt off that goes in behind the transfer case mount. I just left it out on the tank saddles and put a tack weld where it was on the side. I did have to bend one of the ears on the tank back where it would allow the tank to be moved forwards or backwards slightly. I bent the ear flat so that the front strap would tuck just inside the fuel filler neck. So I did not have to re-drill the frame for the new tank saddles.It is sitting at the moment filled with vinegar to clean it out. It was pretty bad off inside. I plan on doing the same box I did on the drivers side tucked up under the bed there right over the tank. I do drive mine a lot and at distance and we all know how much more Love's and Pilot's fuel is over a Kroger kwik shop is. That .35 to .50 cents difference can add up. So utilizing 45 gals of that tank and 65 gal of my main tank @ about 8mpg empty = Long way and Deep in the wallet.
Im also doing that as I planned on to run 2 full size tanks but my hydro tank got in the way and decided to go with a tractor tank instead. You doing a switch to go between tanks or using the smaller tank as a feeder tank? Since I have a 928 Im putting toolboxs behind the tandems tucked up close to the bed to avoid clearance issues.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Im also doing that as I planned on to run 2 full size tanks but my hydro tank got in the way and decided to go with a tractor tank instead. You doing a switch to go between tanks or using the smaller tank as a feeder tank? Since I have a 928 Im putting toolboxs behind the tandems tucked up close to the bed to avoid clearance issues.
I have a selector valve off a 931 i am going to use.

As far as toolboxes go. I may try to mount one behind my rear axle. What i think would work great is like on the front where the little metal pipe goes thru. Run one thru the bed and ubolt the box bottoms to it. Thats how I made the one on mine. U bolt up under the bed lip coming down and a u bolt out the back around the metal going thru.

I have a selector valve off a 931 i am going to use.

As far as toolboxes go. I may try to mount one behind my rear axle. What i think would work great is like on the front where the little metal pipe goes thru. Run one thru the bed and ubolt the box bottoms to it. Thats how I made the one on mine. U bolt up under the bed lip coming down and a u bolt out the back around the metal bar

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Manual valve. Sits between the rear of the drivers seat and the door/cab

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
931s hve gauges that can switch on the dash between tanks. I know how long i can go on a tank.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finished the air intake mod.

Got one electric fan installed. The other one won't be here till Tuesday (Dang Amazon shipping). 2,200cfm from the 16". I know two will fit just easy, Maybe 3. 6amp draw on each.

Finished my spare tire area tool boxes. The two tall ones will each hold three of the 44.5 ton straps or other long handle tools. The fuse box will hold four 1 gallon jugs of fluids. The other two boxes that I have mounted will handle a case of quart size fluids. The side box under the bed I am using to hold ready hand tools and tire stuff ( gauge, chuck, valve core tool.)

Attachments

gottaluvit

Got my recently acquired bows on and pressure washed truck and mouse infested cover as well as hardware. Lucky only three smaller holes in the actual cover. Gonna have to take it to be repaired soon. Had help at Findlay putting the troop seats/racks in. As it is it is parade ready.

20160524_193429.jpg

20160524_193250.jpg

machinist75

Got one of the hupp Jerry can mounts I purchased from fuzzy toaster awhile back done up on the mud flap. Get the one on the other side this weekend.

Attachments

Last edited:
PTO has been leaking since I have owned my 925 and finally bit the bullet to stop the leak! removed the tool box, air tanks, exhaust, heat shield and drained the transmission to remove the dipstick tube so that I could get to the last bolt on the PTO! NO way around it to do the job right! and YES I have the manual and the manual only gets you through a quarter of the job or should I say simplifies the job! I am very mechanically inclined and would not wish this job on my worst enemy! so all you guys out there who want to make your 923 a 925, all I have to say is get ready for a couple of very busy days!IMG_0999.jpgIMG_1001.jpg

JarheadMtn

Got one of the hupp Jerry can mounts done up on the mud flap. Get the one on the other side this weekend.
I had a 14.00 X 20 tire blow out on my truck while I was driving. Did a lot of damage to the mud flap. I doubt that a fuel can would have survived if it had been mounted there. I had enough rubber pieces to pick up off the road. Wouldn't want to have to clean up a fuel spill too.

Spyderman

I had a 14.00 X 20 tire blow out on my truck while I was driving. Did a lot of damage to the mud flap. I doubt that a fuel can would have survived if it had been mounted there. I had enough rubber pieces to pick up off the road. Wouldn't want to have to clean up a fuel spill too.
With a match it cleans up quick.

Sent from my mobile web slinger!

Another Ahab

Got one of the hupp Jerry can mounts I purchased from fuzzy toaster awhile back done up on the mud flap. Get the one on the other side this weekend.
I've never seen that set-up before. That's pretty slick. [thumbzup]
So is that not a tried-and-true set-up (with any track record of success)?

Only some after-market kind thing?

86m1028

PTO has been leaking since I have owned my 925 and finally bit the bullet to stop the leak! removed the tool box, air tanks, exhaust, heat shield and drained the transmission to remove the dipstick tube so that I could get to the last bolt on the PTO! NO way around it to do the job right! and YES I have the manual and the manual only gets you through a quarter of the job or should I say simplifies the job! I am very mechanically inclined and would not wish this job on my worst enemy! so all you guys out there who want to make your 923 a 925, all I have to say is get ready for a couple of very busy days!View attachment 624807View attachment 624808
WOW !!!
Is yours an A1 or A2 ?
That sure is one way to do it.
Ive pulled the complete setup off an A1 without removing anything but the hydraulic system.
Not bashing you, but why did you remove all those parts ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks