• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

603hellmutt

I'm hoping to add air ride seats, need to do a little rust work before that's going to happen, going to get a maintainer to go along with my block heater for winter need to order some 2/0 to extend the slave port cables to the lower box

Ford Mechanic

Carried the ROTC during the parade for the Heritage Farm Festival. It sat on display the rest of the day. Sadly it was a unmanned display as we had other demonstrations to manage.

Another Ahab

Greased the 5 ton only pics are from power steering unit to m trying to diagnose those pics will be posted in that thread if they ever load up. Also worked on pulling the CTIS out cause it refused to work correctly . My next 5 ton will be a 10 wheeler M925A1 I want the NHC250 and no CTIS ! Thankfully none of the tires have ever gone flat . Parts will be order to delete the hoses to the hubs soon .
Nobody really much likes the CTIS do they?

Is there any one model of rig with CTIS where they're worth keeping?

therooster2001

Nobody really much likes the CTIS do they?

Is there any one model of rig with CTIS where they're worth keeping?
Count me as a CTIS liker. Only one truck, and it doesn't go off roading much, and I have no real need for a push button air inflation system, but I still like it, for me, it's kinda what makes the 939A2's cool. It's not as complex as most would think, but I could see the frustration if you come out to flat tires. Like any system it just takes time and knowledge, and maybe some patience, CTIS just has a lot more pieces. Not bashing anybody who removes it, usually they have a good reason.

I don't think it's necessarily a model issue, it's probably what's the user needs. But I have heard some models are worse than others..

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also like ctis wish the HEMTT had it.
Like you said you've got to get to know it's ways just like a woman they are temperamental. Also don't have to order a bunch of crap to delete.
Put valve stems in tires. And turn system off by unplugging the ecu by the shift column.

gottaluvit

I love my CTIS! Very assuring to know that if I pick up a nail dumping at a landfill or scrap yard that I will still be able to drive the whole day with no flat tire, until I can get it plugged. I have a couple of valves that leak very slowly and the tires will be somewhat low if it sits about two weeks. I don't even fret that considering they will be aired up in one mile or less at operating rpm. It also forces me to start it and drive it a couple miles, keeping all the seals happy, which keeps me happy. When I was in, my truck never sat but a few days max without me taking it around the base or motor pool, just to keep things "happy". (Very small base in Germany. Gone now. Camp Eshborn.)

Not saying it "seemed" perfect when I first got the truck. Took me a while to learn the combination to get it working right if it sits more than just a couple of days. I just make sure the air pressure is near 120 psi and hit the run flat button and leave it there while finishing my pre-trip inspection. By the time I am ready to roll, I just hit the highway button and take off and within a mile I get the belch and my highway light is lit, without blinking. Good to go!

Capehenery

Greased the 5 ton only pics are from power steering unit to m trying to diagnose those pics will be posted in that thread if they ever load up. Also worked on pulling the CTIS out cause it refused to work correctly . My next 5 ton will be a 10 wheeler M925A1 I want the NHC250 and no CTIS ! Thankfully none of the tires have ever gone flat . Parts will be order to delete the hoses to the hubs soon .
Id be interested in CTIS parts if your getting rid of the system.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Expanded the expando van. This was much easier than most people have stated. Now to redo some of the wood/insulation on the side panels.
Yea same here when i did mine those long instructions and what not. I was like uh yeah lets just start pushing and pulling stuff. I am going to try to expand it on the trailer this weekend

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Towed the m934 chassis truck and the m796 bolster with the 927 bed on it i got from wreckerman down to my equipment yard. Moved the bed onto the truck and got it bolted down. Have to move the rear mounts. Yes I double towed the truck and trailer Appx weight was 30k. My 923 handled it very well. No issues on the 8 miles to the yard and then 12 miles to storage thru the city. Dang Tapatalk has issues loading up some pics. Also the sun was a bit brutal today sorry for the glare. Also some pics of the parking lot so far. Will be bringing in the MEP and M322 tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That was the 931 with the blown engine. Well a 927 is longer than the 934.so ive got some overhang.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

ScubaCat

I sell brand new 130A 24V alternators, just sayin'. :) I replaced my thermostat and heater core and now mine blows hot and relatively quickly from a cold start with no block heater usage. Your heater core could be plugged with minerals. Mine was. It flowed fine, but was not transferring the heat out. You could also swap it out for a fuel fired one. Those are hot at the flip of a switch. Saw new ones in our classifieds for $200 complete, that is a steal.

Clear your PM box...msgs bouncing back. Want info on alternators...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks