• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

Mmm, zika flavored skeeters!

Today I traded my M1061A1 for a tan M1082 LMTV trailer with BRob18E. Put 250 miles on it, as we met about half way. It again, ran great. A differential rear input seal slung a little oil on my way to Finlay, but quit on the way back and no leakage today at all. It seems the truck really likes driven. It heals itself (well, most of the time).

20160613_134912.jpg
Old one.

20160614_151121.jpg
New one.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mmm, zika flavored skeeters!

Today I traded my M1061A1 for a tan M1082 LMTV trailer with BRob18E. Put 250 miles on it, as we met about half way. It again, ran great. A differential rear input seal slung a little oil on my way to Finlay, but quit on the way back and no leakage today at all. It seems the truck really likes driven. It heals itself (well, most of the time).

View attachment 628474
Old one.

View attachment 628475
New one.
Check your check valves in the axles. Just replace em with hose barbs and run the hose somewhere high. I have towed home a few trucks that puke fluid from the pinion seals. The weakest spot to relieve the pressure.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

Adding insult to injury, over in the D.C. area now, we got the Asian Tiger mosquito that bites in the daytime. They showed up here a few years back.

We no longer have to wait until sunset for that special joy of mosquitoes.

View attachment 628413
So on top of being the only mechanic for my towns Public Works dept. I also have a public operators pesticide licence, i.e. I'm the skeeter control dude. Go figure.

So a tip if you have Asian tiger skeeters,
They are container breeders, they can breed in a cap full of stagnant water.

Being they are daytime biters we can't spray for them, it would kill the bees and that would be bad.

So the best thing you can do is anything that is holding water (tires, coolers, buckets, pots, trash. ....) tip them over or toss it out. It will greatly reduce the population around your property.

gottaluvit

Thanks Ahab. I really like it so far. The ABS is very awesome. My 5 ton rides like my VW (other than bouncy and noisy!) and sometimes I forget that a trailer without ABS will lock up it's tires. I have smoked out the vehicles behind me more than once. With the truck heavier than the trailer it's still safe on hard/dry road (without excessive speed) but hard on trailer tires. I've always been a late braker as it makes brakes last longer and drums/rotors don't warp from excessive heat. Not cool with ABS truck and non ABS trailer. Vice-versa probably would be better, but both being ABS, is superb. I am also a HUGE fan of CTIS and this trailer has that too. I think I'm in love! It came with a cover too! Gonna clean it all up before installing that. Pics will follow.

The green flatbed M1061 was hard to let go, but by the time I drove the new one home, I'm over it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got my plasma out and cut some holes in the rear for my LED's to be recessed. (for the bright light people who need to be blinded) I am going to probably put some expanded metal over them. My plasma nozzle is crap and the Hypertherm is on its last leg I think so my cuts aren't pretty. The grinder helped a lot. Also got my passenger fuel tank hooked up. I decided to use the 35gph 12psi in line pump that has 3/8" fittings. Also installed an inline filter made for diesel to protect the pump. I have the pump hooked to a switch by my shifter so I can pump over. I was going to T into the return fitting on the tank but I was afraid it would pump back towards the engine so I decided the 1/8" fitting for the vent would be adequate enough for the transfer. So a little over an hour of running and the tank would be full again. I figured this would help on road trips that diesel is 1.90 local and I am sure it is 2.30 to 2.50 at truck stops.

Attachments

srodocker

Exactly what I want. I did the dual tank with my deuce and with the 5 ton Im defiantly adding a light so when teh switch is on It reminds me and no leave it running.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp5782,
I am going to borrow your ideas for the spare tank.
I like the return line cross-over from the new tank plumbing idea.
To dissipate the worry of the 2nd tank pumping to the engine maybe use a check valve coming from engine to #1 tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Check-Valve-Diesel-Fuel-Flow/dp/B0084NNCK0

Scott you might put a float switch in #1 tank to brake the #2 tanks power to the pump.
That way #1 would never over flow.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BOBBY-Mini-Float-Valve-WP162621/

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Relined the cab floor with bed liner.

20160615_201228.jpg

I was going to replace the floor mat but the old one cleaned up suprisingly well. Also installed the new springer seat base. No more squeaks!

20160617_011311.jpg

Snowtiger

Changed my 4 battery system over to a two battery system spent most of the day doing the fabricating don't want them bouncing around. I hope I don't have to remove the battery's anytime soon packing them up into the cab was fun, I've included a photo as boring as it may be but it does show a

image.jpg
:naner:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Exactly what I want. I did the dual tank with my deuce and with the 5 ton Im defiantly adding a light so when teh switch is on It reminds me and no leave it running.
I worried about that but the way I did it today was that I knew I put 50 gallons in it so I had about 45 gallons of usable fuel. The pump is 10-14psi AirTek and does 35gph. so I hit the switch when I was sitting under half in my main tank and set the timer on my phone for an hour. I checked the tank after an hour and yeah it was near down to the bottom. I ran it a few mins when I was heading back and then when I got diesel in the main tank I had it pumping the last bit over. I will say though that going thru the 1/8" vent line it still is very fast. faster than I thought it would be. I am going to substitute my transmission temperature gauge for the passenger fuel gauge more than likely.

I burned 76 gallons today in 510 miles and I put 31 gallons in the main tank and 44 in the passenger tank. I would have been close to make the full 700 mile recovery on the two tanks. Empty it would have been fine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp5782,
I am going to borrow your ideas for the spare tank.
I like the return line cross-over from the new tank plumbing idea.
To dissipate the worry of the 2nd tank pumping to the engine maybe use a check valve coming from engine to #1 tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Check-Valve-Diesel-Fuel-Flow/dp/B0084NNCK0

Scott you might put a float switch in #1 tank to brake the #2 tanks power to the pump.
That way #1 would never over flow.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BOBBY-Mini-Float-Valve-WP162621/
I thought about the check ball I replaced the return line from front to rear with the push on line. I am sure it is low pressure but the 1/8" fitting takes on fuel better than I thought.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Changed my 4 battery system over to a two battery system spent most of the day doing the fabricating don't want them bouncing around. I hope I don't have to remove the battery's anytime soon packing them up into the cab was fun, I've included a photo as boring as it may be but it does show a

View attachment 629015

:naner:
Nice install, make sure you take a picture of it along to your chiropractor so he knows how bad your back hurts. I took 4 of the standard military batteries out today, you don't know how bad I just want to throw or push them off the truck than get them down.

therooster2001

Got a bunch of body and trim pieces done yesterday. Replaced two more tan mudflats with nonpainted, kinda fixed the seat latch on my replacement battery box (it latches now from being bent sometime in its life, but it's still too bent I think, and can't get it) replaced both taillights with better takeoffs, got all of the new reflectors painted and on, painted the remaining side markers, and replaced the engine shields with non overspray painted versions.

Old:

New:

Then it got too hot (97 degrees) and I didn't get time to take it for a ride. Maybe today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks