• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Got a bunch of body and trim pieces done yesterday. Replaced two more tan mudflats with nonpainted, kinda fixed the seat latch on my replacement battery box (it latches now from being bent sometime in its life, but it's still too bent I think, and can't get it) replaced both taillights with better takeoffs, got all of the new reflectors painted and on, painted the remaining side markers, and replaced the engine shields with non overspray painted versions.
Those little details all add up. It looks good.

therooster2001

I got my engine shields off take off M939's last year from BFR Metals in Salina. Hit up Glen, don't know what he has left, it's sort of a pick it yourself salvage place, he won't normally ship. He's good people.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got up this morning and put my NOS driver's windshield in, Tightened all the bolts on my brake covers, I had a few rattling. Drained all the differentials and transfer case and those thirsty things took exactly 10 gallons to fill all 3 axles and the transfer case. I was tired of pumping handle on the bucket.

Then this afternoon I took it for a drive to a Father's day dinner and passed a broke down semi in the right hand lane on a busy street. I was going to be cutting it close on dinner so I didn't stop. After dinner driving home he was still there broke down and even with the hazard triangles out some people just don't understand what they mean. So I stopped to lend a hand, truck was running but blown out automatic transmission. So I got my big tow strap out and had to remember that the front end of a semi is made of nothing! and pulled him off the road about a quarter mile from where he was. We all know it didn't faze it. He was only loaded with 28k. Couldn't find anyone to take a video.

Came home and hooked up the towbar to the 931 and get ready to head out in the morning.

Attachments

big block 88

Changed my 4 battery system over to a two battery system spent most of the day doing the fabricating don't want them bouncing around. I hope I don't have to remove the battery's anytime soon packing them up into the cab was fun, I've included a photo as boring as it may be but it does show a

View attachment 629015
:naner:

watch your terminals on top sir. I know our truck is VERY close to the metal seat bottom. We run a 1/4" thick rubber mat on top of the batteries.

603hellmutt

That rubber mat is cheap peice of mind for me as I've arched a battery before and scared me for life.

Meanwhile I took my truck to a meeting and replaced a ctis wheel weight

big block 88

We use some clay from an old clay bar for cleaning trucks and roll it into a 1.5" ball and set one on each terminal and then closed the lid to see how much we smashed the clay. If i remember correctly we had about 5/8" to spare but with 2 giant d8 batteries we couldnt chance over 3400 amps arcing out on the seat bottom. So the rubber mat is an excellent insurance and piece of mind incase we get into some rough and batteries start bouncing.

therooster2001

Well, what I did this week was recharge the batteries. All of the work I did on Saturday, and I turned off the lights, then forgot the Master. UGHH. NOCO battery charger to the rescue. I did notice that I had some melted metal near several of the posts. YIKES! Turns out that lead and the bolts probably weren't tightened enough. Off to Napa, then a heavy truck place. No replacements. Ended up getting some non lead ones off the Bay, but grabbed some old ones in the meantime, shined them up, took off any corrosion on the posts and lugs, and got them working to ensure the truck was ok. Took about 6 hours to get the batteries individually up to close, then I put them on the NOCO overnight, 100% green. Phew. I think it's time to wire up a master on switch indicator. Anyone have any good ideas on how to make this obvious but not annoying? I was thinking next to the empty spot on my indicator panel on my M925A2. Probably pretty easy to wire it into the master, but I don't want a glaring light in my view. Maybe a relay off the alternator? Anyone know of a cool way to wire this?

Snowtiger

You bet I have about 3/8" above the posts as well as the sheet for on top and the battery's are sitting on the industrial version of gel souls. The hard chunks of 1 1/2" plywood weren't offering much absorbency. All these awesome modifications were from searching the SS archives. I'm not terrified of being called out for being to lazy to look.(lying) I also installed a brand spanking new alternator. I like to think that she is needing all this for my upcoming camping adventure soon to become reality. I've been contracted to take a film crew from the states to a undisclosed location to find
hmmm Sasquatch. No laughing either it's the Canadian in me
image.jpg

74M35A2

Well, what I did this week was recharge the batteries. All of the work I did on Saturday, and I turned off the lights, then forgot the Master. UGHH. NOCO battery charger to the rescue. I did notice that I had some melted metal near several of the posts. YIKES! Turns out that lead and the bolts probably weren't tightened enough. Off to Napa, then a heavy truck place. No replacements. Ended up getting some non lead ones off the Bay, but grabbed some old ones in the meantime, shined them up, took off any corrosion on the posts and lugs, and got them working to ensure the truck was ok. Took about 6 hours to get the batteries individually up to close, then I put them on the NOCO overnight, 100% green. Phew. I think it's time to wire up a master on switch indicator. Anyone have any good ideas on how to make this obvious but not annoying? I was thinking next to the empty spot on my indicator panel on my M925A2. Probably pretty easy to wire it into the master, but I don't want a glaring light in my view. Maybe a relay off the alternator? Anyone know of a cool way to wire this?
You could convert it over to single switch like an automobile. Have the 3 position ignition switch do all, ditch the battery switch. Just off-on-start.

gottaluvit

Finally got my flat mirror painted and put on the passenger side. The convex bottom on the MRAP mirror was really hindering my seeing the load dump, or any trailer. I like to often look at a pulled trailer's tires, and backing a trailer was as bad as trying to back one up with a modern "truck" that only has a convex mirror on the passenger side. I say if it has a trailer hitch, it should have flat mirrors on both sides.

20160622_144750.jpg

Also put new glad hand seals put in my M1082 trailer and touched up the paint here and there.

20160622_144829.jpg
20160622_144810.jpg
20160622_144932.jpg

Amer-team

Found a persistent airleak, added a little teflon tape, and 24 hours later, still have 30 pounds in the primary tank. It depended on how the truck was setting, but usually it would bleed off in a couple hours.

mdemars03

Nice job in the air leak. I have one I need to fix. It will drop my secondary air down to from 120 to 60 in about 2 minutes with the truck off. I know where it is, I just need the time to fix it. Thankfully I have a couple weeks of vacation coming up and should have a chance to fix some problems on the truck. Once the air problems are taken care of my next item to work on is the broken passenger side door handle and then finding a decent hard top and getting rid of the soft top.

Amer-team

If it blows off in two minutes, shouldn't be too hard to find. There are a couple of good threads on fixing those door handles. If it is the fix where a piece gets bent inside, it is fairly easy once you figure out how to get it apart. I did that repair and it has been working every since. If you point your door handle down, when done, it relieves some of the torque on the mechanism when pulling to open the door. Was also told that they did this to make it more difficult for the random bad guy to have quick access into the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks