• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built heavy duty stairs as part of my camping\Boating project for the beast. If your interested I will keep you posted. Next up living area in the back, Paint boat, and a few other surprises. All will fit in the back
View attachment 638398View attachment 638400View attachment 638401
Your build is indeed very interesting.

I respectfully suggest that you keep all the details in one place and create a NEW THREAD specifically for this project. It will be better archived on the SS website that way as well.

Thank you.
John

Snowtiger

thank you I am always worried about making a mistake but I think with all the upgrades I want to do I agree that its own thread would be easier to track. Thank you very much for the feedback

gottaluvit

I pulled the driver side fender and removed the fuel filter assembly. All in order to start fixing what someone screwed up trying to get my A2 running. Probably going to have to rebuild the injection pump as they changed everything else trying to get it to run. And by rebuild, I mean send off to someone to rebuild.
What is your "A2"? Dual tanks? Have you tried compressed air into the tank and check the lines for seepage? That would indicate where it is sucking up air, if that is the cause. That filter under the fender is known for the bad gasket or it being misaligned.

kungfu dave

Single tank. The lines may be seeping but we have positive flow at the injection pump but nothing coming out of the top of the pump. The filter has been bypassed by someone so it is not even in the fuel circuit currently. I will keep your suggestion in mind in the future though. Thanks!

tobyS

What is your "A2"? Dual tanks? Have you tried compressed air into the tank and check the lines for seepage? That would indicate where it is sucking up air, if that is the cause. That filter under the fender is known for the bad gasket or it being misaligned.
We had fuel system issues so we put a gas tank with the pickup line and return line going to the pump and didn't mess with the filter and lines in place. If it won't run then, eliminating the entire fuel system (and filter), one has problems. Point being, there is no need to remove anything to see if it will run. Be sure and use a clean fuel tank.

gottaluvit

I would take Tobys' advice and just take a line from the lift pump to a full fuel can and see if you can pump it up with the hand primer and if you hear the fuel making it's round through the system, fire the ignition. I, myself, wouldn't worry about the return as it is going in your "clean" tank anyway. It'll suck that can dry fast though, but if it fires you have eliminated the IP.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They tried all the easy crap on it. Cleaned the tank. New lift pump. Bypassed the canister and went tank to lift pump. Fuel is getting to the injection pump. Nothin from the return side. Cracked 2 injector lines. No fuel or pressure out of them. The inverted flares are dry.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

tobyS

I would take Tobys' advice and just take a line from the lift pump to a full fuel can and see if you can pump it up with the hand primer and if you hear the fuel making it's round through the system, fire the ignition. I, myself, wouldn't worry about the return as it is going in your "clean" tank anyway. It'll suck that can dry fast though, but if it fires you have eliminated the IP.
By raising the tank, it puts low but positive pressure to the inlet of the pump, not pumping up. There is no question that fuel is being provided then and issues would be in the pump or injectors if bleeding does not help. Did the filter look reasonable, could it have breached (leaked stuff into the pump)?

Gottaluvit is right, it will work without the return to see if it runs. But it really does not take long to pump a small can dry and the bypass fuel is going back to a tank that has a problem and will not be re-used.

Last edited:

tobyS

The tank has minor debris in it but it looks like it was scraped clean and the fuel is new. We did have fuel coming out of the return line and it would run with ether.
That's what mine was doing (but no fuel out return).

Of course this is an easy one, but was occurring on my truck. The stop solenoid would not retract and open the main valve. With the ignition on, it could be pulled in manually and would hold, but it would not pull in on it's own. We had the symptoms simp5782 describes and it would run on ether also. Made a huge difference (but it still had fuel system issues).

Are you sure there was return line flow?

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Double check the return fuel line's check valve because if it's stuck open or not closing off correctly the IP will not get the correct primary pressure (like 10-15psi) and thus will not be able to provide fuel High pressure pump section of the IP to the injectors. A quick check for this is to take a pair of fuel line clamp pliers and clamp off the return line and then pump up the fuel with the lift pump and once solid fuel is had at the IP try starting the truck while making sure that the stop solenoid is working correctly and the fuel lever is fully into the correct position.

General Hood

Gave both Granddaughters driving lessons in the M923A2. It was hot today so figured this wouldn't last long. We ended up spending most of the day on dirt roads having the time of our lives. Yesterday I broke them in on operating MVs with the SEE. What great kids
IMG_20160811_172351702.jpgIMG_20160812_121345510.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Double check the return fuel line's check valve because if it's stuck open or not closing off correctly the IP will not get the correct primary pressure (like 10-15psi) and thus will not be able to provide fuel High pressure pump section of the IP to the injectors. A quick check for this is to take a pair of fuel line clamp pliers and clamp off the return line and then pump up the fuel with the lift pump and once solid fuel is had at the IP try starting the truck while making sure that the stop solenoid is working correctly and the fuel lever is fully into the correct position.
They replaced the return line off the ip. It had no fuel out of the return. When we spun it over primary fuel pressure from the lift pump would fill half a 20oz coke bottle in about 5 seconds of spinning. They just threw parts at it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

therooster2001

Drove the truck down to suburbia in prep for a festival with the MKT in tow. I was unchaining the tailgate to put stuff in on one side, then stood on the trailer hitch connection to get to the other side, and used the tailgate for support, but what I didn't know was the other side was already unhitched. Bam, the tailgate came down on me, hit me in the head, and grazed my neck. Think I'm pretty lucky it didn't knock me off the trailer. Then got it home (actually my home) and went to check a smell out, and got up too quick by the wheel and got a good dig into my back from a point. Ugh. I love my 5-ton, but it's unforgiving steel.

BUT, it's actually here, and looks really funny in the covenant controlled neighborhood. It's only here for an overnight, then it goes to the festival, and then back to it's garage. The neighbors will absolutely love when it starts up at 6:30 AM tomorrow. 5-ton crepes are going to be a reality! Picts will be on this and the MKT thread.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Gave both Granddaughters driving lessons in the M923A2. ......We ended up spending most of the day on dirt roads having the time of our lives. ...... What great kids
View attachment 638578View attachment 638579

Yeah, see,.... the trouble here is they will love the truck as much if not more than you so you have just lost your truck,.... rofl

Aussie.

Amer-team

Rooster, I tried that tailgate trick once with the M54. Had both tailgate chains undone, ready to lower and someone spoke to me, turned and wham. Fortunately the step missed my head and the tailgate came down on the shoulder, grazing my head. I don't think I went out, but did see stars on that one. I felt real lucky that it didn't break my collar bone. Now I always try to keep one hand on the tailgate when it is unhitched and or stand out of the swing. The darn things are heavy.

therooster2001

Ouch! Misery loves company, but I hope it never happens again, to anyone! Good pointers, I'll usually do one hand when I know it's only one side secured, now I'll hold it no matter what...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks