• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TwistedOaks, I like that! I take it hard head is a member? Did you look at any other set ups before picking that one? I have been looking myself and found a hidden arrangement that looks nice. Have you found any pros or cons to either set up? Thanks.
He is. Here's the thread on it. He's also working up a mount for the front end... He was my source for the winch too, and that was before I knew he was one of us. I looked at dozens of setups, including some of my own designs (which is why I went with someone else's ;-) )

I went a couple of ways getting it up in there. easiest was with Soldier B using ratchet straps. I took it down a couple times and put it back up in there with a transmission jack sitting on top of a wagon.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We all like to watch em work. Moving 4 D3/4 dozers from central Illinois to little rock. 415mi each way. Returning each trip with a D6. Should be done tomorrow with all the driving 20160819_080703.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Smckerigan

Well started out buy changing oil and all filters on my M925a2 I bleed the air out of the fuel and got it started and it ran great. So I shut it down and I zip tied some of the wires off the fuel shut off soionoid. I went to start it and it would not start. Started lookin and I pulled a wire loose from some previous army repairs . Fixed it and now it's good. image.jpgimage.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all like to watch em work. Moving 4 D3/4 dozers from central Illinois to little rock. 415mi each way. Returning each trip with a D6. Should be done tomorrow with all the driving View attachment 639685

I got to get me one of them trailers.

20160819_130719.jpg

I picked up this transmission, spool of 7/8" winch cable, roll of 1/2" winch cable and about 1000# of steel yesterday. That's the biggest load I've had in the bed so far. She rode like a Caddy. She gets worked plenty but doesn't get to haul much heavy stuff in the bed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mine is for sale. Just havent made ramps for it yet. AMGENERAL has his for sale for a good price. Last week someone paid 5800 for one in albany.

Drove in a local parade. Truck and trailer were loaded with people.

Every was safe and had a great time. These trucks get everyone's attention!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm....what might those sticks of steel be for? I think this is called a cliffhanger...

20160820_133216.jpg

And an organization project I've been working on. Picked up these cabinets to get all my parts out of the way and organize a bit. The cabinets were in almost new condition and didn't really even need paint but, well, you know how it is. Made by Lyon, and fully welded, they are very heavy. I finally have some of the garage back now. They had held random aircraft parts, according to the labels on the shelves, and saw very little use.

20160820_133856.jpg

20160820_133907.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Pulled the exhaust manifold off, got it machined, now working on getting the bolts out that broke off. Also the t-stat housing while I was there cause it was leaking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pulled the exhaust manifold off, got it machined, now working on getting the bolts out that broke off. Also the t-stat housing while I was there cause it was leaking.

If they are being overly stubborn on coming out you can always drill thru the middle of it and tap it for a smaller bolt. I just did that on a 6.0L the other day in a Topkick truck.

I have had lots of luck using the Speedout bits that you see on TV and can be found at the home depot.

Ford Mechanic

If they are being overly stubborn on coming out you can always drill thru the middle of it and tap it for a smaller bolt. I just did that on a 6.0L the other day in a Topkick truck.

I have had lots of luck using the Speedout bits that you see on TV and can be found at the home depot.
Stubborn ain't the word for it! I finally found a torch to borrow, but still not having much luck with pulling them with extractors. I've had to drill them out almost completely and peel them out. They just don't want to unbind from the flange with all that rust.

Did you weld the smaller bolt after you installed it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use allthread and screw it into the hole you drilled and just seat it then nut to the manifold. Or just use a normal bolt to screw in. I think they are 3/8" right? You can easily drill for 5/16 or 1/4"

Also measure your other bolts on how far they seated so you don't overdrill into the head. You may grab a few cans of keyboard duster as well. Heat that thing up several times and if it wont move just heat it up and then spray that duster inverted onto the bolt and then hit it. sometimes that will make it budge.

Ford Mechanic

You can use allthread and screw it into the hole you drilled and just seat it then nut to the manifold. Or just use a normal bolt to screw in. I think they are 3/8" right? You can easily drill for 5/16 or 1/4"

Also measure your other bolts on how far they seated so you don't overdrill into the head. You may grab a few cans of keyboard duster as well. Heat that thing up several times and if it wont move just heat it up and then spray that duster inverted onto the bolt and then hit it. sometimes that will make it budge.
Good tip, I can't say I've done it that way before. They're 10x1.5 bolts. I've been missing my good rose bud tip from work. This one I've got borrowed had just a cutting tip on it. It's not heating as fast. I think that's why they're not breaking loose, I normally have good luck with these extractors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks