• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TCD

Well, did something a little stupid. Walked the truck, and then used shop air to air up the tanks. My spoiled 925a2 lives its retirement in a garage, so starting it indoors is like instant asphyxiation. So I checked oil and coolant, then closed up the hood and hopped in. Stated it up, then pulled out only 25 or so feet. Got flagged down, then looked back and my air compressor was being dragged out by the hose attached to the emergency hook up in the back. This is the second time I've done this, but this time it brushed up against a utility trailer which swung over, and cracked a spare m939 front window. Totally bummed. Could have been worse, but feel like a tool nonetheless. Don't do that....
Howdy therooster2001,

Believe it or not cloths pins are your friend (and they are cheap)!

Because I have a serious case of CRS (Can't Remember s$%t) I have developed a bullet proof system that may help you from repeating your CRS moment...

1 - I take wood clothes pins and label them for the related item (e.g., rinse hose, trailer power cord, battery charger etc.).

2 - I leave the related clothes pin clipped to the id'd object.

3 - When I open/connect/use the item I take the clothes pin off the item and attach it to the flipped down visor of my F350 or the door handle of the 923 (easier).

I haven't destroyed anything since I implemented this system.

Hopefully this little monitor will help save someone else from a CRS moment...

YMMV!

tom n tyler

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had some fun changing a tire along the road.

Then once back to the shop, switched several around to get those XL's off the front axle.

lindsey97

Replaced the shutterstat today on one of my M923. Fixed my pressure issue in my cooling system. Very easy repair and well worth the price of admission.

Planning on starting the replacement of my transmission in another M923, the very first one I purchased in 2014. Anyone local have a transmission jack for class 8 trucks that I could borrow or rent? Any volunteers? Crickets.........

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced the shutterstat today on one of my M923. Fixed my pressure issue in my cooling system. Very easy repair and well worth the price of admission.

Planning on starting the replacement of my transmission in another M923, the very first one I purchased in 2014. Anyone local have a transmission jack for class 8 trucks that I could borrow or rent? Any volunteers? Crickets.........
Put your engine crane in the cab and let it down. Or big jack stands and a cross i beam with a come along. They are no fun.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Bring it to memphis if you are here by noon you can be on the road by dark headed home.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

dave wagner

Have trouble getting pictures and text together sorry. M54 that I put together for controlled burning. Have less than 4K in the whole unit 2,000 gal. plastic fire service baffled tank with quick dump 100 gpm fire pump and hose reels off a 6x6 fire truck.Waiting for a Graphic artist I trade work with to come up with a scene for the sides before we paint her up.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up some new MRAP Caiman wheels and tires at the rally. I'm breaking them all down to replace the large bore single valve stem with the smaller double valve stem so they can be filled from both sides. From my research they are Caiman due to the runflats, the 20 wheel studs and the 395/85 tire size.

They have the common rusty stud problem of being stored with the wheel studs facing up. Water pooled in the rim leaving me with some extra work. A 5/8"-18 rethreading die has taken care of that and I got my first one broken down and reassembled tonight. I'll check the pressure in the morning to see if I did a good job. This was my first complete wheel break down. 6 more to go...then a good cleaning and some paint. I'll he riding on new rubber shortly.

20161026_231659.jpg

20161026_231739.jpg

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you see what I meant about the O-Ring? Primary on mine was v-shaped. And I haven't found them anywhere. But they're a lot more stout than standard combat o-rings, and I haven't replaced one yet due to failure.

I picked up some new MRAP Caiman wheels and tires at the rally. I'm breaking them all down to replace the large bore single valve stem with the smaller double valve stem so they can be filled from both sides. From my research they are Caiman due to the runflats, the 20 wheel studs and the 395/85 tire size.

They have the common rusty stud problem of being stored with the wheel studs facing up. Water pooled in the rim leaving me with some extra work. A 5/8"-18 rethreading die has taken care of that and I got my first one broken down and reassembled tonight. I'll check the pressure in the morning to see if I did a good job. This was my first complete wheel break down. 6 more to go...then a good cleaning and some paint. I'll he riding on new rubber shortly.

View attachment 651377

View attachment 651378

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swamp Donkey, Will those new rims go straight on your axles or do they require an adapter? It would be nice to have run flats on my A2.
They bolt right up with no modification or adapters. My rear wheels are LMTV and these look like the same design except for the runflats.

Did you see what I meant about the O-Ring? Primary on mine was v-shaped. And I haven't found them anywhere. But they're a lot more stout than standard combat o-rings, and I haven't replaced one yet due to failure.
The silicone O-ring was originally round but has taken the shape of the little valley it sits in. The correct O-ring is OR-420A and is available from Erik's Military Surplus. I really like how these O-rings are placed in these wheels. Once the O-ring is placed in the valley, there isn't anywhere for it to go. Foolproof really.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

There's meat in the pot! And maybe you already told us, but:

What cartridge are you shooting? 10x scope?
Shooting a CZ 550 American in .270 with 130gr Hornady American Whitetail rounds. Scope is a Redfield 4-14x46.

Of the bench I'm holding .5 moa at 300 yards and my stand is set up so that I'm shooting off a bipod.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the Toyota Supra seats installed in the M1088 MTV and just have to prep the cab floor and paint. Put the padding back and move on to the next problem. Think who ever took the dang truck mudding and milked the rear axle it might have caused a bearing/race to go FUBAR. Thing is it is so easy to check for water in any axle or our front knuckles. Lazy Lazy Lazy people!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks