• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Snowtiger

I added some landing lights to the front of my truck, now I figured everyone has seen lights installed but I thought the location of the switch as well as a near duplicate of the switch kinda worked out nicely. Tell me what you think

IMG_2763.jpg
I purchased the switch at my local NAPA

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced the lower leaf on both of my springs packs that were broke. It is a temporary fix until i can get a set of wrecker springs.

Tried out my new Dewalt 20v battery grease gun on a few trucks. It works awesome for the $100. I spent on it being brand new.

Going to be replacing my transfer case tomorrow since i blew the high range the other day20161110_174141.jpg20161110_124554.jpg20161110_124535.jpeg20161110_202336.jpg20161109_125155.jpg20161109_125201.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at that same grease gun for a while. Since I've got plenty of Dewalt batteries, $100 for the bare tool is a good deal. Does it work well?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've been looking at that same grease gun for a while. Since I've got plenty of Dewalt batteries, $100 for the bare tool is a good deal. Does it work well?
Yes. Its fast. Easy to get the air out of on a change out. It also has a bypass for if it can't force the grease into the fitting

Its a 20v slide on battery is the only thing I don't like. I spent 100 for the tool and 160 on 2 batteries and a charger The place here has a 18v one with 1 battery. Charger and cass for 160$ brand new. They didnt have it on their open box as is shelf when i bought mine or i would have gotten it I dont think they look the same

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We have a local place called we sell tools. They sell mostly great neck tools which i like and are cheap.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If someone is interested and has the 20v batteries. I would be more than happy to sell the grease gun itself with no batteries for 100$ that includes shipping. I can just return the batteries i bought and get the 18v grease gun to go with my other batteries

lindsey97

I have an 18 volt dewalt, and have been very pleased with it. I use it on the 5 tons, equipment, and my dump trucks. I carry it in the pickup, it is very speedy, and simp is correct in that the dewalt will get the air out quickly after refilling with a full tube. Very happy with it after 2 years of use.

If someone is interested and has the 20v batteries. I would be more than happy to sell the grease gun itself with no batteries for 100$ that includes shipping. I can just return the batteries i bought and get the 18v grease gun to go with my other batteries

Not to stray to far from the topic, but Dewalt makes an adapter to use the 20v batteries in your 18v tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not to stray to far from the topic, but Dewalt makes an adapter to use the 20v batteries in your 18v tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But i could have saved the cost of the charger and two batteries over just buying the 18v grease gun instead.

red

Used to be antifreeze... I think at least.

Going to finish flushing tonight. Install block heater and a new thermostat also rigging up a spin on filter for the coolant.

Looks similar to what came out of my m816. changed it out and added a filter back in February and have driven about 2k miles this year plus lots of idle time. Going to change it out again next year and open up the filter, see how much it caught.

Today removed the air tanks drain valve and cleaned it out. Lots of gunk and mud in that little valve but it works again finally.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after vibrating myself (and my Soldier B - Matt) the whole way to and from the GA Rally, I decided I was going to figure out my road vibration/balance issues. A couple of weeks ago, I came a cross a thread where I learned that I do not have Combat wheels, but indeed have FMTV/LMTV wheels. I also read that most of the LMTV came equipped with bead-lock inserts.

One thing this 'hobby' (read as - life consuming addiction) does is make you fearless when it comes to tear-down, re-build, fabrication and a dozen other life skills.

So I decided I'd take my day off today to disassemble and inspect each of the wheels. Guess what I found? 2 out of 7 had inserts! 3 had glass balance beads, including 1 of the ones with the insert. What a frigging mess! Insert doesn't really look like the inserts I've seen online, and frankly aren't very stout. Maybe 30 lbs?

But what a difference! Drives so smooth now.
IMG_5400.jpg (that's the winch cable from the gator, since I didn't want to cut it out, and manhandling a 1600 ain't gonna happen)

Oh... and Matt decided to show me his "quick way" to set the bead on these monsters...

https://youtu.be/v7sMjcT9xL4

Oh... and SwampDonkey, you were on the money about the o-rings.

IMG_5399.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks