• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

twisted60

Rebuilt my Air Dryer today. IMG_2771.jpgIMG_2802.jpgIMG_2800.jpgIMG_2797.jpgIMG_2804.jpgIMG_2805.jpgIMG_2799.jpg
External canister was not in bad shape, small internal filter had the insides covered with something resembling a combination of grease, water and oil. Drain plug was dry and clean, but really, a 5/16 square key way to get it out, first for me. Only real issue was when I snapped the pressure valve and had to get an easy out to remove the rest.

big block 88

Well i guess the general fixed its leak. It started right up sounded great and not a drop of coolant. Maybe the block heater boilded it over while plugged in over night?

lindsey97

Well i guess the general fixed its leak. It started right up sounded great and not a drop of coolant. Maybe the block heater boilded it over while plugged in over night?
Could be a petcock but unlikely unless someone has recently used the petcock. Most likely cause of the slow drip is the extreme cold temperatures. I have 3 dump trucks, been driving/repairing them for 12 years now. I have a detroit series 60 that does this in one spot by the intercooler. Have replaced the hose, being only 3" long. Very hard to do. Have installed double hose clamps. It will not leak at 32 deg or slightly below, but when the mercury drops to 15 or single digits, the truck will sit and drip until started and warmed up. Once warm and operating, the leak goes away. I have had this issue with my other 2 dump trucks, but buying a stick of new hose and replacing the hose fixed the issue. Also, a buddy of mine in the dirt business has a dump truck and it seeps antifreeze when single digits hit. You might try adding a hose clamp to your truck. And install a block heater.

big block 88

It has a block heater recently installed when i flushed the coolant and did the thermostat and added the coolant filter. I checked all hoses and they are tight. It really looks like it just came out of the oil cooler up on top but now its gone so maybe it boiled out with the heater or it expanded the coolant in the nasty cold we had last week?

Does anyone here just leave their truck plugged in all the time in the cold or just a few hours before you go play? I know our old dodge cummins trucks would burn the coolant if left plugged in too long.

Spyderman

It has a block heater recently installed when i flushed the coolant and did the thermostat and added the coolant filter. I checked all hoses and they are tight. It really looks like it just came out of the oil cooler up on top but now its gone so maybe it boiled out with the heater or it expanded the coolant in the nasty cold we had last week?

Does anyone here just leave their truck plugged in all the time in the cold or just a few hours before you go play? I know our old dodge cummins trucks would burn the coolant if left plugged in too long.
You can leave it plugged in but your wallet might feel it.

Sent from my webslinger!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Raised my air dryer up a good bit to get it up from being so low. I raised my dryer up to avoid road debris that may be prone to hitting a low hanging object.

Should be finishing up my transfer case and rear axle swaps this week sometime.

Played with my new mud flap mounts

20170110_174942-1536x864.jpg20170110_174834-1024x576.jpg20170110_174810-512x288.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retrieving firewood that landed on the inaccessible side of the creek. For size reference, that is a Warn 36,000# block sitting on top of the middle tree.

2017-01-14 14.38.47.jpg

Started with a 2 block pull, one to change direction and the other to double the pull. This wasn't enough so I added a third block to triple the pull to 54,000#. This worked for a minute but the anchor tree got pulled out of the ground roots and all. I figured it was going to happen but I didn't have another tree to pull from at the proper angle, so we called it a day. I had 265' of cable strung out through the woods.

2017-01-14 14.48.18.jpg

2017-01-14 14.48.46.jpg

2017-01-14 14.49.24.jpg

I had to cut several smaller trees down to get back there and I still wasn't in the best position. One tree had a spike in it that ruined the chain on my chainsaw. If I had my saw in the end, I would've been able to get the truck to the tree to apply some brute force. This will take place in Round 2 next weekend.

The video and pictures below show the slope I was working on. The truck handled it perfectly.

https://youtu.be/z18z5IQ1Tfg

2017-01-14 15.01.09.jpg

2017-01-14 15.01.47.jpg

20170113_135919.jpg

2017-01-14 15.07.10.jpg

Another Ahab

I had to cut several smaller trees down to get back there and I still wasn't in the best position. One tree had a spike in it that ruined the chain on my chainsaw. If I had my saw in the end, I would've been able to get the truck to the tree to apply some brute force. This will take place in Round 2 next weekend.
Thanks for the post; nice!

Where do you figure that spike came from: was that land fenced at one time?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the post; nice!

Where do you figure that spike came from: was that land fenced at one time?
Most likely steps going up to a deer stand. I found several more further up once the tree was down.

Bonus points for the person with the sharp eye that can point out the problem with the the rigging. The pictures were taken under slight load before the first pull so that I could make sure everything was going as planned. It wasn't, and one of the rigging pictures shows it.

86m1028

Most likely steps going up to a deer stand. I found several more further up once the tree was down.

Bonus points for the person with the sharp eye that can point out the problem with the the rigging. The pictures were taken under slight load before the first pull so that I could make sure everything was going as planned. It wasn't, and one of the rigging pictures shows it.
Trying to pull tree "thru" the stump" ? Or the way the 2nd snatch block is chained ?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, nice land !!!
Do you have any detailed info on your upgrades (frt bumper, lights) ?
I don't have a specific thread but most of my additions additions posted in this one. Just search for my posts in here. Search "MRAP Bumper" to find the couple of threads I posted in when I added the bumper.

Trying to pull tree "thru" the stump" ? Or the way the 2nd snatch block is chained ?
The tree broke at an angle and slid by the stump still in the bank. The issue is the clips on the end of the cable.

2017-01-15 07.33.55.jpg

I made the ends when I got down there. I had just finished doing the first tightening of the clips when my Pa-in-law showed up with my boys. I got distracted and never finished tightening them properly. I ordered a couple of open spelter clevis ends and some Crosby Wirelock epoxy so I can do away with the clips.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Dumb question most likely, but what is the reasoning behind blocking the license plate number. People see mine on the highway and I always wondered why they get blurred on TV and internet.
Just so some crazy predator or stalker cant try to locate someone based on a picture. Someone could type in military truck logs in a Google search and swamp could be a celebrity. Doesnt take much to get anyone and everyones information off something small. That or your doing something your not supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dumb question most likely, but what is the reasoning behind blocking the license plate number. People see mine on the highway and I always wondered why they get blurred on TV and internet.
Identity thieves look for bits of info to get you. If you think about it, a tag number can get you a whole lot of information all in one spot. All it would take is a "friend" to run the number or other various means.

Yes, I can't control who sees my tag when driving around. But, the guy on the other side of the country or overseas doesn't know it unless I put it in front of him. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm not one of those over-cautious folks but it just isn't good practice to put personal information on the Web to be there forever, and to be looked at by whoever.

And then, like Simp said, maybe they were doing something they weren't supposed to. Not the case here though since it's my property.....although that was my Brother-in-law's food plot I had just driven through at the beginning of the video. :mrgreen:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Identity thieves look for bits of info to get you.
And I can't equate SwampDonkey and any pictures I've seen on this board of the inside of his shop and other things he has with a real person who can be visited. (Well, maybe if I really started to stalk around, but *I* don't really care.)

Of course, I haven't checked to see if SS strips out the geo tagging from cell phone picts, so there are other avenues to get that data.

tobyS

I thought SS was rather open and gave real name and location when I signed up. Is the trust that I thought members of SS had, turning to secrecy? Has any member of this site had their personal information hijacked?

I understand the reasoning of blocking plates, but lament the declining level of trust on SS and the world. CYA I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks