• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

WV New Guy

Added an in bed tool box moved my chain fall and tow bar there also put some reflectors in it along with some rope and heavy webbing . Box was originally for a Suburban being used as a Medic unit . Marine grade plywood pull out drawer just had to make a handle that better suited me to open it . My Malinois wasn't happy I was up in the bed working and jumped up to request my attention.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I laughed out loud on that one.

Only someone who owns a 5 ton would get that joke.
Inside jokes are one of the best things about a shared experience/interest, IMO...

Kinda like watching the rebooted Star Trek in the theatre, and hearing a bunch of guys see a red shirt come on screen and immediately start laughing, with my friend next to me who doesn't know what a red shirt means, get confused... (He's gonna die,lol)

big block 88

Open windshield, close mouth, squint eyes,
hold breath, hammer down...
when we picked our truck up the driver seat cushions had been ate up and plenty of pooh around the cab. Sunglasses on pull up shirt over mouth and nose open all windows and flat footed the old girl on the highway.

The self cleaning feature was a selling point for me.

WYomer

Converted my Dash lights to LED also but I used SMD Green LEDs and made cover plates painted black instead of the longer lenses. Honestly works too well, big gauges are clear and bright but the smaller ones wash out a bit. I'm going to remove the ones on the smaller gauges with standard bulbs and lenses.

I used a 3/8" spacer and some flat stock total cost with bulbs about $22 and I have 10 more bulbs still.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Went and picked up a mini to demo out. All of the shop guys stood and watched me load it thinking it wasnt gonna climb the traier. It is a Link Belt 145 X3. Weighs around 31,000 with no blade. Was only a 4 mile trip. 20170210_085545.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

162tcat

Looks a little toung heavy. I usually load mine opposite with the boom forward when using a short equipment trailer like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks a little toung heavy. I usually load mine opposite with the boom forward when using a short equipment trailer like that.

To me keeping that weight up there makes it pull so much easier. I used to load dozers on the rear ontop of the metal risers but it doesnt pull well. My plan is to cut down the metal risers and make it flat

162tcat

To me keeping that weight up there makes it pull so much easier. I used to load dozers on the rear ontop of the metal risers but it doesnt pull well. My plan is to cut down the metal risers and make it flat

Best way is to get about 10-15% on the hitch. Any more than that stresses the components and reduces your steering ability on wet or loose surfaces. Hard to get a feel for that unless your using the same equipment every time though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Best way is to get about 10-15% on the hitch. Any more than that stresses the components and reduces your steering ability on wet or loose surfaces. Hard to get a feel for that unless your using the same equipment every time though.

Yea i plan to cut those risers off so it will be a flat trailer. Especially for when i carry a conex box

gottaluvit

Went and picked up a mini to demo out. All of the shop guys stood and watched me load it thinking it wasnt gonna climb the traier. It is a Link Belt 145 X3. Weighs around 31,000 with no blade. Was only a 4 mile trip. View attachment 666026

Shoot, you could have loaded that on there with no ramps using the hydraulics and drive.

https://youtu.be/aggptP6zw7Y

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks