• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two favorite colors...OD Green and Cat Yellow.

Nice work.
Those are two of my favorite colors too. I couldn't get a new fuel hose made today, but I got the filters mounted anyways. I had to get an adapter to fit the original fittings, and these adapters increased the width by another 2 inches. I can see new adapters in the future to reduce the overall width. Besides that, the filters look pretty good mounted.

HPIM2380.jpgHPIM2379.jpgHPIM2378.jpg

I'll have to come up with a rock shield too.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those are two of my favorite colors too. I couldn't get a new fuel hose made today, but I got the filters mounted anyways. I had to get an adapter to fit the original fittings, and these adapters increased the width by another 2 inches. I can see new adapters in the future to reduce the overall width. Besides that, the filters look pretty good mounted.

View attachment 676124View attachment 676123View attachment 676122

I'll have to come up with a rock shield too.
You probably need to turn your turnstop bolts as well. If you get off in uneven terrain and try to turn with those 16.00s it could easily shove the tire back into those. It will mean more turning radius needed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably need to turn your turnstop bolts as well. If you get off in uneven terrain and try to turn with those 16.00s it could easily shove the tire back into those. It will mean more turning radius needed.

My Father and were just talking about that. I was thinking of maybe switching down a tire size or two. Maybe down to the 14.00r20's, or maybe down to 395/85R20 Michelin XZL's. Anyways that won't be happening anytime soon unless I come across a VEERY good deal on some tires, and or wheels.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My Father and were just talking about that. I was thinking of maybe switching down a tire size or two. Maybe down to the 14.00r20's, or maybe down to 395/85R20 Michelin XZL's. Anyways that won't be happening anytime soon unless I come across a VEERY good deal on some tires, and or wheels.
395 XZL's on wheels brand new are in New Boston, TX for $250 each ready to bolt on. 14.00s are getting harder to come by.

Acoustik

Getting ready to put a M939 PTO on a M931A2. It will be pulling a pump at 30 gpm at 1500 psi and running about 70% of the time. My first question is will the pto handle that load? The second question will I need to add an oilier to it?

tobyS

If you run at the max of 1500 and 30 gpm, you use 26 Hp. The Allison specs say 45 is the limit, so at full flow and full pressure, you are about 58% of the rated capacity (of the spur gear in the tranny). The position of the PTO at about 2:00 on our Allison is such that pan oil follows the counterclockwise rotation, onto the gears... unlike an M916 at the 11:00 position, it gets a lot more oil.

Running 70% of the time is a high duty cycle. Do you plan on going down the road with it running or are you saying that when the PTO is engaged, it will be doing work 70% of the time?

The ratio is about 1.5 pump rpm to 1 engine rpm...so your rating is based on an engine rpm of only 1000. At 2k engine, the pump would turn 3k or 60 gpm (going down the road with the PTO on). Your hydraulics will make enough heat at that point, that lubing the PTO will be a small worry.

While not the same truck as yours, my crane truck would have about a 25% duty cycle and I run it all day long when doing a job. It does not have an oil lube.

If you lube, are you going to tap into the line coming back from the cooler? Keep the line small, as the place the cool oil returns in the tranny does need the oil lube and it seems a big line could divert too much oil. That might be a question for Rustystud as he seems to know the inside of the Allison.

My $.02.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 13 wheels and 14 tires (all of them 14's) Two tires are 100%, never touched dirt, and 12 tires @ 75-85% - PM me if you want them.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced my air compressor finally. Fixed some air and coolant lines. Changed my oil and replaced the drain plug with a real one. I got tired of the 1/2" drive plug. Went ahead and replaced my alternator since Clint is so persistent.
I ended up getting a new drain plug too. Mine was worn out! It took a pneumatic impact, a 2 foot long pipe wrench, and a propane torch to take mine out when I changed the oil. On the plus side, I learned some new curse words when the plug came out (thankx to the impact). LOL roflMy Father was laying underneath with the impact when the plug broke free and gave him an oil bath. I was on the side with the pipe wrench trying to put some leverage to it. I just couldn't get the catch tank under the ol' NHC 250 in time. LOL

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I ended up getting a new drain plug too. Mine was worn out! It took a pneumatic impact, a 2 foot long pipe wrench, and a propane torch to take mine out when I changed the oil. On the plus side, I learned some new curse words when the plug came out (thankx to the impact). LOL roflMy Father was laying underneath with the impact when the plug broke free and gave him an oil bath. I was on the side with the pipe wrench trying to put some leverage to it. I just couldn't get the catch tank under the ol' NHC 250 in time. LOL
Best thing for a catch pan is a big tub tote with rope handles. At wally world for 6$ they are like 30gal size.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing for a catch pan is a big tub tote with rope handles. At wally world for 6$ they are like 30gal size.

My catch tank is a 7.75 gallon pony keg with a very large funnel. It used to be a fuel cell for a sand rail. It's what I had on hand so I didn't have to spend any extra money, but it was still funny to me when the plug popped out. It happened Soooo fast, and A LOT of oil poured out on him. LOL

Acoustik

Hey thanks for info. To answer your question on the run time I will use this truck 10 to 12 hours a day. During that time I will be loading a 7000 gal with the trucks pto and when loaded which takes around 8 min I will stop the pto and drive about 200 to 700 ft and reengage the pto and spread the 7000 gal which takes about 8 min and then disengage the pto and return to the supply truck and start over. I will do this averaging about 20 to 30 min each trip over and over all day. Half of the pto time will be with a stopped truck and the other half will be in low range in 1st or 2nd gear.

twisted60

Bonding with the community.

Attended a "Touch a Truck" event, I was the only MV there, plenty of kids both big and small there enjoying the event. Local PD's and Fire were also in attendance, nice little event. Seams the kids liked the bed of my truck more than the cab. Overall a good time, canned food for donation was requested and collected then donated to local charity. Even Spiderman showed up.

IMG_3463.jpgIMG_3458.jpgIMG_3466.jpgIMG_3470.jpg

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Very nice! When I get mine, I, too, intend on doing this kind of thing. Love making new MV enthusiasts, I've managed to get people hooked before, telling them about Deuces and 5 tons.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People just love to see a big 5 ton up close. They touch the tires, and the paint and everything. I took mine to Napa yesterday and looked outside and there was a group of guys in their 50's getting their picture taken touching the tires. (And they are still '14's!) what will they do when I put 16's on it?!?!

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be prepared to spend an extra 30 to 45 minutes anywhere you stop. Gas station yesterday, spent 20 minutes with 4 different people (which for some reason always devolves into "I bet the gas mileage is awful" - to which I usually reply "It's a hybrid"). Then another 35 minutes at Lowes. Met a guy that swears he built my very truck when he worked at AM General in the 80's. Met a Vietnam vet that was just thrilled to see it, having spent most of his youth in an 8 series. And then there's the help loading... I pull up in my GMC and there's not a Lowes employee to be found... But pull into the covered contractor parking, leave the M923 there for 30 minutes, come out and fight my way through everyone talking about it and taking pics - and there's 10 people willing to load my stuff (5 of which actually work there!). :razz: It's more than a hobby... It's an adventure.
People just love to see a big 5 ton up close. They touch the tires, and the paint and everything. I took mine to Napa yesterday and looked outside and there was a group of guys in their 50's getting their picture taken touching the tires. (And they are still '14's!) what will they do when I put 16's on it?!?!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of truth there! I was on a long road trip that started at 2:45 am headed to FT Hood and then to my ranch, I was tired and grumpy and didn't feel like talking and a guy at the gas station would not stop talking to me. I finally interrupted him mid sentence and said, "I have to go now."

Felt like a total jerk. But, it's almost like a job. You should represent the MV community properly. I failed that day. Im usually nice. Usually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks