• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aside from tracing down and fixing an oil leak, I wired up a 12 volt power accessory port. Tapped the 12v from the LO speed connection off the blower motor switch. (BIG KUDOS TO 74M35A2 FOR THAT TIP!!)
if you trace those wires back (low speed on blower) you will find that the blower switches negative charge from one battery (12v ) to both batteries (24v) all it is, is the negative wire that comes off of the battery that supplies the + lead, that keeps it 12v instead of 24v.

So you are using only one of the batteries for your 12v power supply. In the future, it is the same as just going into the battery box and wiring a pos and neg off of the correct battery. Or,just pull a negative off of the battery that supplies your positive power to the truck ... if that makes sense.

blitz10

I finally got around to replacing my cracked/brittle steering wheel on my M923A2. A huge piece fell off when I removed the horn ring. I was apprehensive from reading the posts on the tube sliding down or the horn wire getting disconnected. New wheel, horn kit and military puller were obtained. I used a pair of vice grips at the bottom next to the shield box to keep the tube from moving. Impact gun turned the nut off instantly. Removed turn signal and put puller on. Got it tight as I wanted and then it popped off. Put new wheel on and used my original horn parts, reconnected the turn switch and all was good. Took every bit of 20 minutes. The new wheel feels so much better.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed a electric fan clutch engagement solenoid awhile back. Just got done making a video. So I can have control of my fan clutch. I noticed which traveling with the wind the fan clutch comes on and would run when it didn't need to. I will be installing electric fans again anyways. Also finished my tow bar storage mount for the medium/heavy bar that I carry. Used a pintle hitch off a M880 and a 5/8" u bolt with a 7" width. Two Plates L bolted on the inside. Replaced some grease fittings on it that were clogged up. Got her all lubed up and ready to play. Finally. I hope.

https://youtu.be/_ufRo6qt1Rg

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New axle boots left and right.
New Alternator since mine broke on my "new boot test drive" ... perfect timing.
fixed leaking radiator
fixed leaking timing cover (just tightened bolts)
Bought 2 new group 31 batteries since some dummy (probably me) didn't turn off the battery shutoff switch that powers all my toys.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Been mainly doing maintenance stuff.

Replaced the high pressure steering line since the old one decided the driveway didn't have enough oil on it already. Flushed the system while I was at it. Also greased the steering shaft while the rock guard was out of the way.

20170426_190247.jpg

Replaced the front cab rubber mounts. That made more of a difference that I thought it would. Still need to paint them. I'd like to thank the brilliant engineer who designed the jack screws into the mount to make this a simple task.

20170421_185726.jpg

Replaced all the engine and transfer case mounts. That made way more of a difference than I thought it would. No more cab vibrations, transmission shifts are almost not even noticable and along with the new cab mounts, it's a whole different truck now. After seeing how hard these rubber mounts had gotten I took a hammer to one. It shattered into 3 pieces on the first hit. The rubber had also compressed slightly leaving the bolts a little loose. This explains why the shifts are smoother now. Torqued all bolts per the specs in the TM.

20170404_214422.jpg

I managed to tweak my winch plate while pulling a tree a couple weeks ago. To say that I overbuild things is an understatement. This "tweaking" was unacceptable even though it was only a small deflection in the floor of the plate. I jacked the front of the truck up with the mount under the jack to flatten it back out. I then welded the new reinforcements in place to distribute the load to the runners. Put the winch through a full stall pull with no deflection noted. Now it's built right.

20170404_062449.jpg

20170404_062533.jpg

Found these little aluminum data plates for the slave ports. They make me happy...that is all.

20170409_190105.jpg

20170409_190129.jpg

Changed the oil in both rear axles and repacked the front driverside bearings to complete the front axle. Got the keyway corks in for the rears so I can reseal and repack them in the next few weeks.

20170426_210729.jpg

I've also gotten all the parts together to make a temperature gauge for the T-case. It uses a transmission temp gauge and sender. It will have a standard military backlight complete with an LED upgrade kit (shameless plug) to match the rest of the gauges. If the pump on the T-case quits, I should see it before damage occurs.

20170426_212149.jpg

someoldmoose

That is the plan Another Ahab. Kind of a tiny house that can go just about anywhere I point it. Taking inspiration from Rayzer's Taj build, but with a slightly different tack. Will be updating the progress in Next New Guy thread.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your list makes me feel feel like I hardly worked on mine at all! :) Nice set of improvements!

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Been mainly doing maintenance stuff.
Replaced the front cab rubber mounts. That made more of a difference that I thought it would. Still need to paint them. I'd like to thank the brilliant engineer who designed the jack screws into the mount to make this a simple task.

View attachment 677713

Replaced all the engine and transfer case mounts. That made way more of a difference than I thought it would. No more cab vibrations, transmission shifts are almost not even noticable and along with the new cab mounts, it's a whole different truck now. After seeing how hard these rubber mounts had gotten I took a hammer to one. It shattered into 3 pieces on the first hit. The rubber had also compressed slightly leaving the bolts a little loose. This explains why the shifts are smoother now. Torqued all bolts per the specs in the TM.

View attachment 677714
I am interested in this. How long did it take to do them all? Anything that lessens the beating of a five ton, it's nice. I'm sure I can find them with a simple search, from Mikes, Erik's, Memphis, whatever, but, where did you get yours?

Thanks!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the plan Another Ahab. Kind of a tiny house that can go just about anywhere I point it. Taking inspiration from Rayzer's Taj build, but with a slightly different tack. Will be updating the progress in Next New Guy thread.
Do you post on the expedition portal website? If so, what's your name? Those guys know RV and travel trailer stuff. I started a thread over there on building an expedition vehicle from a 923a2 and got some serious advice.

one guy did recommend a truck like yours (was that you?) and I got a lot of other good info on turning a 5-ton into an expedition vehicle.

Another Ahab

There's a lot to be said for the lifestyle.

The gameplan was perfected by all kinds of people:

- The Mongols

- The Sioux

- The Laplanders

- The Roma

- The Inuit

- The Kazakh

It's a long tradition you're buying into. It sure sounds fine. :beer:

ABC.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buffalobwana, I did not know about any expedition portal. I will sure be checking it out though. Always interested in good ideas. :carnac:
Oh, you have no idea what you are missing. Those guys know camping, like these guys know military trucks.

Here a guy makes a F-450 into a camper http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/125714-Ford-E450-4x4-build-revival/page2?highlight=panel

here I ask a question about turning a 923A2 into a camper and who would build me a expedition quality box. (Someone just suggested that I do what you are doing. And I did consider that but the auction ended at $14,000 or so for the truck I wanted, and I had 3 five tons at the time). http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/170510-Building-an-expedition-vehicle-Who-makes-the-box

I got a few bids from $16k to $40k, but these were full on expedition grade boxes. Not your wimpy travel trailer design. (Nothing wrong with common travel trailers, they just were not meant to trek across continents)

So much info there, you will find yourself asking questions you didn't even know to ask.

I have been down this road and talked to my insurance company about rates and insurability after a conversion. I have picked out most everything I want, even the toilet (this is more important than you think!)

see you over there. I hang out in the expedition trailers forum and in the various big truck forums. I am Buffalobwana there too.

someoldmoose

Muchas gracias (practicing for excursions). I remember following the Turtle Expedition builds in Four Wheel and Off Road years ago. I think that's when I was initially exposed to the "bug". It had a reeeeeeealy long incubation period. I will read everything they've got. Thanks again.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your list makes me feel feel like I hardly worked on mine at all! :) Nice set of improvements!

I am interested in this. How long did it take to do them all? Anything that lessens the beating of a five ton, it's nice. I'm sure I can find them with a simple search, from Mikes, Erik's, Memphis, whatever, but, where did you get yours?

Thanks!
It took about 2 hours to do all the drive train mounts, including getting a torque wrench in some of those places. Some of those are a bit of a pain to get to. It took about 20 minutes to do the front cab mounts. Those are easy with an impact.

Most of the drivetrain mounts came from surplus I bought. I came across the cab mounts for $2 a piece on Ebay. He only had 4 of them or I would have bought all he had. I had to get one T-case mount from Erik because I was short and was ready to swap them.
I still have to do the rear cab mounts, upper transmission mount, front engine mount and all the radiator mounts. I've replaced everything rubber on the truck so far and the mounts are the last items to be done. The rear cab mounts look like they will be the hardest ones to replace. I wish the smart engineer that designed the front mounts had designed the rear ones too.

Another Ahab

It took about 2 hours to do all the drive train mounts, including getting a torque wrench in some of those places. Some of those are a bit of a pain to get to. It took about 20 minutes to do the front cab mounts. Those are easy with an impact.

Most of the drivetrain mounts came from surplus I bought. I came across the cab mounts for $2 a piece on Ebay. He only had 4 of them or I would have bought all he had. I had to get one T-case mount from Erik because I was short and was ready to swap them.
I still have to do the rear cab mounts, upper transmission mount, front engine mount and all the radiator mounts. I've replaced everything rubber on the truck so far and the mounts are the last items to be done. The rear cab mounts look like they will be the hardest ones to replace. I wish the smart engineer that designed the front mounts had designed the rear ones too.
It might have been both were done by the same engineer.

Only the front mount was designed at work early Friday morning, and the rear mount wasn't even looked at until just a minute before 4:00 the same day.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks SD. I think I want to do that. Well, I think I want that done, let me put it that way.

Strongly toying with the idea of turning the truck into into a dual cab again. I'm afraid my contact (you know who you are ;) ) will come back with a reasonable price on a cab. That would be the time to do the rear, and maybe all, and add some additional ones.

Anyone ever toy with the idea of air bags on cab? Is it even possible given transmission and steering? Maybe small ones? Just rolling ideas in my mind.

Im considering the aircraft kind of quilted blankets as sound dampening for the doors. Stitch up some custom made door panels maybe.

Lots of ideas, going to tackle dual cab idea before I do any additional sound dampening or rubber mounts.

Someone here said how how many hours they took to do a dual cab. I think it was like 120-140 hours?? That sounds reasonable to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks