• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hauled some snub nosed cousins to their new homes and drug an old 816 home from Dallas that needs a transmission. Ontop of that Swiss was stalking me near atlanta. The one pic there's 27 tires along with the m1088Resized_20170429_085830.jpegResized_20170423_130831.jpeg
IMG_25841.jpgIMG_25851.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

I replaced the fuel tank strainer and cap with some new ones. Both were heavily corroded and one of the sacrificial spots on the cap had started to weep. It amazes me that they used a stainless tank and skimped by using a plated steel strainer. The blue coloring inside my old cap is from the 2 stroke oil I add to compensate for the junk they sell at the pump these days. The corrosin of the cap held the color.

There is a guy down the road from me that specializes in making custom filters, using stainless media, for water processing plants. I'm going to bring my old strainer to him and see if he can copy it in stainless for a reasonable price. This is a contamination point for the fuel system since it creates rust inside the tank. Those are some fairly large rust particles on the strainer in the picture. Since moisture is a given, the new strainer will eventually suffer the same fate. I'm going to try to eliminate that with a stainless alternative.

View attachment 678503

View attachment 678504
Some were all aluminium. And lots of those caps turned greenish blue like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SLOrazorsedge

Thanks for the post on the fuel strainers and caps Jeff. Same experience with my trucks. I'm going to explore powder coating or replating. It's the rotten diesel we're getting. The off gases when you open the tanks is toxic.

71DeuceAK

Interesting! Not sure it'd be a permanent fix, but has anyone considered just building their own strainer out of, say, something plastic-like instead of steel which just rots out?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In our environment, wouldn't a rotten strainer be worse than no strainer at all? If mine was rotten, I'd just remove it. We live in a pretty sterile environment. No blowing debris at my gas station.

of course they are good ideas, after all the hole is big and a leaf could get in there, it's possible if you fill up in the wild, but, if you are pressed for time, remove it immediately and replace it when you can. The idea is to keep stuff out. And a rotten strainer is your worse than no strainer.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blowing debris can't be any worse than the chunks of metal falling off the old strainer! I took mine out on day one and never looked back. I don't fill up in the jungles, though it does FEEL like the desert around here lately.
In our environment, wouldn't a rotten strainer be worse than no strainer at all? If mine was rotten, I'd just remove it. We live in a pretty sterile environment. No blowing debris at my gas station.

of course they are good ideas, after all the hole is big and a leaf could get in there, it's possible if you fill up in the wild, but, if you are pressed for time, remove it immediately and replace it when you can. The idea is to keep stuff out. And a rotten strainer is your worse than no strainer.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quarter million dollar tractors don't have strainers. Mine isn't 1/4 mill but it probably was close to that when it was new. It doesn't have a strainer. And it's filled in the dirtiest of conditions. Mainly dust, but a strainer won't stop dust.

A strainer is a good idea to keep falling leaves out of your tank if you fill it in a wooded area. I'd be sure to either cover the tank opening with a rag, or have a strainer in most situations where a foreign object could find its way in. Not saying hey are bad. But a bad one can be worse than none at all.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your pickup tube sits a few inches off the bottom of the tank and has a baffle around it. You may suck some strainer material but it wont get past a 20micron filter. You want futher protection put a 3/8 " sock filter on your pickup tube.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Thanks for the post on the fuel strainers and caps Jeff. Same experience with my trucks. I'm going to explore powder coating or replating. It's the rotten diesel we're getting. The off gases when you open the tanks is toxic.

The powder coating solution sounds workable, and likely not too pricey.

The worst there is you reduce the diameter of the filter holes a little bit. But that actually makes it a finer (more effective), filter, right?

Any reason then that powder-coating WOULDN'T work out?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've removed the strainer baskets on two of my trucks until I come up with a solution to replace or replate the baskets. The strainers are great to hang the fueling nozzle in while fueling.
They do help in refueling, however the original intent of the strainer was to prevent fuel theft. Has nothing to do w/ "filtering". I did tell my nephew they are there to prevent a hand grenade being dropped in the tank. He said "cool".

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the real reason for the strainers is for the old metal gas cans that always had paint chips falling out when pouring
The military doesn't use "old metal cans with paint chips falling out", they buy new plastic fuel cans and sell the old metal one to you and me...........

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2017-05-02 15.10.33.jpg2017-05-02 15.10.44.jpg

Saved this girl from the scrap heap last fall and just replaced the motor (old one ate the liners). Soon she'll get 16' and maybe some paint. She's a super clean truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks