• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Ford Mechanic

I'm working on a front hitch for my 923. I want to put one of those carry all things on the front to hold my cooler and fishing rods for next weekend at the beach.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About once a month I go around with a bottle of soapy water and check the truck for air leaks. I found a couple this time around.

1. The #2 tank drain cock (yes, I said it) had a slight leak no matter how tightly it was closed.

I replaced all 4 with a new style I ran across a couple months back. These look to have been used on MRAPs and FMTVs according to Parttarget. NSN 4820-01-363-2117

20170519_023703.jpg

20170519_024603.jpg

2. The valve on the the transfer case, to auto engage the front axle in low, was leaking slightly around the shaft.

I disabled the valve a couple years ago. I'll eliminate it, and all the extra lines, completely after I get a couple of fittings.

I've never really checked inside the cab but I did this time since the T-case valve was leaking. The T-case valve is the same one used on the parking brake handle. Sure enough, the parking brake valve had a slight leak around the shaft too.

While I had it all apart I decided to replace everything down there with new parts. I replaced the handle, valve, switch, bracket and cable.

20170519_004909.jpg

20170519_014744.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Anyone else notice that the cutout in the bumper for the winch is offset to one side? I never noticed it until last when I was pulling measurements.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone else notice that the cutout in the bumper for the winch is offset to one side? I never noticed it until last when I was pulling measurements.

I noticed when I went to to cut holes in the bumper for lights.. rather..a member here helped me out when I was on a road trip...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About once a month I go around with a bottle of soapy water and check the truck for air leaks. I found a couple this time around.

1. The #2 tank drain cock (yes, I said it) had a slight leak no matter how tightly it was closed.

I replaced all 4 with a new style I ran across a couple months back. These look to have been used on MRAPs and FMTVs according to Parttarget. NSN 4820-01-363-2117

View attachment 680992

View attachment 680993

2. The valve on the the transfer case, to auto engage the front axle in low, was leaking slightly around the shaft.

I disabled the valve a couple years ago. I'll eliminate it, and all the extra lines, completely after I get a couple of fittings.

I've never really checked inside the cab but I did this time since the T-case valve was leaking. The T-case valve is the same one used on the parking brake handle. Sure enough, the parking brake valve had a slight leak around the shaft too.

While I had it all apart I decided to replace everything down there with new parts. I replaced the handle, valve, switch, bracket and cable.

View attachment 680994

View attachment 680995
I plan to switch all of mine over to 1/4 turn ball valves with long (ish) handles....and locks...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

you just ruined the front of the truck for all of our OCD members! They will be cutting and grinding to make it even.

And, no, I didn't know it was off center. ... now where is my torch and grinder ...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swamp Donkey, anyone who says your truck isn't loved, is a fool. Kudos to you for keeping up with it.

I visited one one of my old trucks yesterday that I fixed up painted and sold, and it was a mess. All the windows were open, master switch on, batteries dead, had been run into a tree, front turn signal light and quarter panel bent. It made me sad, because this truck was the most solid truck I have ever owned, including the one I currently have. I see that it will be a junk pile in a year. :(

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
911 post, currently have my m923a2 torn down doing axle seals and boots, currently stuck on the CTIS hub seals, how do you replace them?

tobyS

Swamp Donkey, anyone who says your truck isn't loved, is a fool. Kudos to you for keeping up with it.

I visited one one of my old trucks yesterday that I fixed up painted and sold, and it was a mess. All the windows were open, master switch on, batteries dead, had been run into a tree, front turn signal light and quarter panel bent. It made me sad, because this truck was the most solid truck I have ever owned, including the one I currently have. I see that it will be a junk pile in a year. :(
Sorry. Offer to buy it back for 10% of what you sold it for then.

Jericho

I completely understand! I really don't need one of my Goats, BUT , every one who offers to buy it wants to pay $5.00 , because every one knows they still come in crates for $5.00 each. Then they all go on to tell me how there going to take it in the nearby lake, run over trees and generally destroy it to see "WHAT THAT BABY WILL DO"! Suspect I will never part with any of them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just stupidity at its finest. Pay good money for a truck, just to tear it up.

The supply of good, solid trucks has slowed to a trickle.
They won't last forever.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely understand! I really don't need one of my Goats, BUT , every one who offers to buy it wants to pay $5.00 , because every one knows they still come in crates for $5.00 each. Then they all go on to tell me how there going to take it in the nearby lake, run over trees and generally destroy it to see "WHAT THAT BABY WILL DO"! Suspect I will never part with any of them.
I lucked out and both my 5 tons are excellent trucks.

Had a friend of a friend wanting to buy one.
Made a really great, unsolicited, serious offer on my M925A2. (This was when they were still plentiful on GP).
Didn't need the money and wasn't trying to sell it.

I was considering it when I overheard him telling someone what he was going to do with it.
He was going to turn it into a rural trash collection truck. How? I don't know or care. Didn't make sense to me.

Needless to say, that stopped any consideration of a sale.

My trucks might end up sitting in a field rusting or sold for scrap when I leave this earth, but as least they will not have worked a trash route.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just stupidity at its finest. Pay good money for a truck, just to tear it up.

They won't last forever.
Yup, it's his truck, not mine. I'd like to help him maintain it though. You can't make someone care.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter

They won't last forever.

Tell me about it Tinstar. I bought my truck from a guy who thought it was indestructible. When he found out it wasn't, after doing the damage to it, he then sold it. Now I'm fixing more and more of the truck, than I am doing overdue maintenance. I'm now convinced he tried to ford the Mississippi river instead of using the bridges at Memphis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks