• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, is this the same truck with AC. Curious how many amps you're pulling with fans and AC on
Yes. Each front fan pulls 6.7amps. I am waiting for the info from MCC but i believe the guy told me the interior unit pulls 38 or 48 amps on high. I put a 50amp maxi fuse on it. So full load at idle. 5 fans with ac, blower, and headlights is close to 80amps im gonna assume

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Each front fan pulls 6.7amps. I am waiting for the info from MCC but i believe the guy told me the interior unit pulls 38 or 48 amps on high. I put a 50amp maxi fuse on it. So full load at idle. 5 fans with ac, blower, and headlights is close to 80amps im gonna assume

Now that is some serious Cooling with your AC setup Wes! I love Overkill. :lol:

Snowtiger

Finally got one of my compartments tidied up, I found a two drawer tool chest that fit through the opening and 500 bucks worth of mechanics tools. Now I can find everything quickly and in order, really makes a difference.
IMG_3220.jpgIMG_3221.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, is this the same truck with AC. Curious how many amps you're pulling with fans and AC on
Each front fan pulls 6 to 7amps each. The condenser pulls 15 to 16amps with the 3 fans @ 2400cfm. The internal air box box is 16.8amps on high. Compressor is a few amps. So it does have a load on it especially at idle. I have all LED lights except for headlights as well.

74M35A2

....and a kick a$$ 100 amp modern brushless alternator making it all work, provided by yours truly. Kudos to finding a bad battery in your bank vs blaming the alternator for low output. Proper troubleshooting fixes issues quickly and correctly first shot. Nice job on your window tracks, tint looks good and will help keep cooler cab temps.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ford, that looks great! I didn't realize it was that far off center, kind of adds a cool look to it, somehow. The Diamond plate turned out really nice in that void.

Any chance of some pics of the underside, and how you braced and attached it?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Looks good ford! Gave the rig a bath in preparation for the Friday Night Drags tomorrow and a Parade on Monday
and now off to the carwash to finish

Ford Mechanic

Ford, that looks great! I didn't realize it was that far off center, kind of adds a cool look to it, somehow. The Diamond plate turned out really nice in that void.

Any chance of some pics of the underside, and how you braced and attached it?
Thanks! Here's more pics. It's main braces are 4in channel, the vertical supports I cut the 4in down to 3 in. The diamond plate is 3/16 steel. I stick welded it together, I could have done a much prettier job with the MIG but I was worried about sufficient penetration for the beating it was going to take. I stood on the front of that carry all and jumped up and down before I painted it.

So far it has done great, it survived a 2.5 hr trip to the beach with both of those coolers completely full of ice. Some really big bumps between home and here. 20170518_214242-796x448.jpg20170518_200006-796x448.jpg20170521_222310-796x448.jpg20170521_222320-796x448.jpg20170521_222330-796x448.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It fits in the car wash surprisingly! Well, somewhat, it'll fit coming in from the back of the wash but cannot pull through as the tire crane and stack will hit the cross beam, but still relatively amusing.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished removing the auto front axle engagement valve and the shift lock solenoid from the T-case. Neither are used anymore and both were leaking. It was pretty straight forward with the use of a couple of fittings. I did find that the shift lock solenoid had never worked because both wires were connected to ground. Will have to pull out the wiring diagrams and check the remainder of the wires in that area.

The only air going to the transfer case now is from the dash switch. The only thing the T-case shift lever button operates now is the 5th gear lock-up solenoid.

Although it was easy, it was far from clean. All these parts and fittings are directly in line with the jack shaft u-joints and were covered with years of grease. It looked like I had been repacking wheel bearings instead of swapping air lines.

I let the truck sit for 18 hours after I was done and only lost 10 psi. That was well worth the effort. Then...I check it again about an hour later and was down to 90 psi but holding sready. WTF!

I cut the shop air back in to find the leak and could hear it in the cab. Turns out I blew a wiper hose right at the driver side dash valve. At least that happened in the driveway instead of on the road. I cut a fresh end for now but looks like wiper hose replacement is next.

20170526_105251.jpg

20170526_205657.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started putting my pile of Findlay goodies onIMG_3838.jpgnew mirrors from gottaluvit made for unknown vehicle. They are about 3/8" shorter so I used my 24" Crescent wrench to tweak the brackets, to get rid of the fun house effect.IMG_3841.jpgIMG_3842.jpg
New drivers seat bottomIMG_3836.jpgIMG_3837.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks