• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

therooster2001

Yes, 3 sides 3/4, 14 feet. Sun is a concern, but that's what the spar urethane is for, and the truck is spoiled and gets to be inside. It is a lot of work, just the shortie ones up front took a bit, but it's a summer project along with painting the house, fixing equipment at the bakery and trying not to buy a HMMWV.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will add this. Summertime is coming. I added a 3/4" thick stable mat that contains fiberglass from Tractor Supply. Cost around $40. It is 4ft x 6ft so you will need to cut it to fit. The addition of the mat dropped my actual cab floor temps that were reading 98 to 110 degrees while driving down to 84 to 90 degrees. Especially near the dog house where air can get by it. I have not removed mine to seal it well but there is still some head under the dash. As well as the side kick vent can read up wards of 100 degrees.

I pieced mine together since I had to be able to access the transmission hatch.

https://youtu.be/2--nHZiivz0

Attachments

Mos68x

I still have some black walnut 5/4 stock and cherry 4/4 and a little white oak 4/4 as well. Only issue is, it is my stock for my business. However since much of the wood has curled and twisted pretty bad I might find some pieces that are 10' long and rip them down and then plane them thinner as well.

Yeaterday I put 1/2 gal of antifreeze in each of the tire's that I've disassembled to fix leaks from o-rings, which was only 3. When I disassemble the remaining 3 tire's to inspect and replace o-rings I'll fluid balance those as well. I did notice a good bit less vibration and shaking and I certainly feel that adding another 1/2 gal would make it much better, however I will wait to do that until after I've done all the tire's. Right now all the tire's that are fluid balanced are all on the right side and most of the remaining vibration and shaking feels like it's coming from the left side. I didn't plan it that way, that's just it happened when I was moving the tire's around while fixing them.

Also purchased some 1/2" x 20' chain rated for 11k# at HF yesterday as well as a hand winch and truck bed hoist that I hope to add soon. I received my door check rod and bumpers in the mail a couple days ago but had to wait to install them until I had some cotter pins which I also picked up at HF. I'm sure I won't get everything done but I'll see what I can get done today and I'll post back with some pictures.

Another Ahab

I still have some black walnut 5/4 stock and cherry 4/4 and a little white oak 4/4 as well. Only issue is, it is my stock for my business. However since much of the wood has curled and twisted pretty bad I might find some pieces that are 10' long and rip them down and then plane them thinner as well.

:drool::drool::drool:

I'm sorry, but if you posted it I forgot, are you a cabinetmaker/ custom furniture shop?

Mos68x

:drool::drool::drool:

I'm sorry, but if you posted it I forgot, are you a cabinetmaker/ custom furniture shop?
No worries, I forget most stuff people tell me too. That's why I'm so good at keeping secrets, cause I can't remember them myself most of the time lol

I do custom furniture and home decor items. Haven't had my tools with me for the last 4 years until I bought the truck and drug everything back with me to AZ. Now I can finally get it going again which feels good.

https://m.facebook.com/MajesticWildwood/

Mos68x

I also have 2 sticks of curly maple but there is no way I'm putting that on the truck. Those two pieces are still nice and straight and I use them for the candle votives and other small items, not to mention just too nice of wood to put on the truck where it'll get beat up daily.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will add this. Summertime is coming. I added a 3/4" thick stable mat that contains fiberglass from Tractor Supply. Cost around $40. It is 4ft x 6ft so you will need to cut it to fit. The addition of the mat dropped my actual cab floor temps that were reading 98 to 110 degrees while driving down to 84 to 90 degrees. Especially near the dog house where air can get by it. I have not removed mine to seal it well but there is still some head under the dash. As well as the side kick vent can read up wards of 100 degrees.

I pieced mine together since I had to be able to access the transmission hatch.

https://youtu.be/2--nHZiivz0

They also make a product designed for roofing, that's essentially a rubber backing, with reflective foil, and adhesive.. It's usually only a couple bucks a roll, and comes in strips..

I've done a couple cars/trucks with it and it really helps reduce the noise/vibration and increases the insulation..

Home Depot carries it, they also have an inexpensive outdoor carpet that's pretty close to OD, and outdoor carpet padding inexpensive as well... Cost less than $100 to do my CUCV, I plan to do the same to my M934... It went from a rattle can that you couldn't have a conversation in, at anything above idle, to being able to hold a somewhat normal conversation @ 60 MPH.....

20130307_162758_zpsfc5aae05.jpg20130308_162507_zpse7cc0376.jpg20130311_175716_zps5b7c6b25.jpg

EDIT : Below is not my pic...

3410022c.jpg

Last edited:

Mos68x

They also make a product designed for roofing, that's essentially a rubber backing, with reflective foil, and adhesive.. It's usually only a couple bucks a roll, and comes in strips..

I've done a couple cars/trucks with it and it really helps reduce the noise/vibration and increases the insulation..

Home Depot carries it, they also have an inexpensive outdoor carpet that's pretty close to OD, and outdoor carpet padding inexpensive as well... Cost less than $100 to do my CUCV, I plan to do the same to my M934... It went from a rattle can that you couldn't have a conversation in, at anything above idle, to being able to hold a somewhat normal conversation @ 60 MPH.....

View attachment 683944View attachment 683945View attachment 683946

View attachment 683947
That stuff looks like DynaMat which I know is really good at dropping interior road noise considerably, but is also a bit pricy. I forgot about using the Lowes/HomeDepot stuff for roofing. Although I don't care about trying to talk in the truck, it would be nice to make it a little quieter.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 683944View attachment 683945View attachment 683946

View attachment 683947
Thanks for the tip on the foil sealant. I may give that a try. I have a truck that's only got a drivers seat and a center console that I built. Now is the perfect time to install that foil tape and stall mat.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stuff looks like DynaMat which I know is really good at dropping interior road noise considerably, but is also a bit pricy. I forgot about using the Lowes/HomeDepot stuff for roofing. Although I don't care about trying to talk in the truck, it would be nice to make it a little quieter.
The peel and seal by itself was a huge reduction in NVH, but the padding and carpet took it to the next level. Also noticed it was cooler during hot days and stayed warmer longer during cold days after shutting off the truck. It was no miracle, but it was noticeable.

The 5 ton cab is pretty useless when it comes in insulation, but blocking the NVH from the engine/cab should come in handy. Blocking heat works during the summer, but may come back to bite you in the winter. Someone with a thermodynamics degree would need to chime in whether the heat from the engine during winter outweighs the wind chill/drafts/ambient cold in the floor/doghouse...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The peel and seal by itself was a huge reduction in NVH, but the padding and carpet took it to the next level. Also noticed it was cooler during hot days and stayed warmer longer during cold days after shutting off the truck. It was no miracle, but it was noticeable.

The 5 ton cab is pretty useless when it comes in insulation, but blocking the NVH from the engine/cab should come in handy. Blocking heat works during the summer, but may come back to bite you in the winter. Someone with a thermodynamics degree would need to chime in whether the heat from the engine during winter outweighs the wind chill/drafts/ambient cold in the floor/doghouse...
You can always wear additional layers in the winter, but there comes a point, in the summer where it is just not appropriate to take any more layers off.

Mos68x

You can always wear additional layers in the winter, but there comes a point, in the summer where it is just not appropriate to take any more layers off.
That's why I've always said that you can always put enough clothes to stay warm but you can never take off enough clothes to stay cool. That being said, I'm sick and tired of snow so I'll stick with sweating lol

Another Ahab

I also have 2 sticks of curly maple but there is no way I'm putting that on the truck. Those two pieces are still nice and straight and I use them for the candle votives and other small items, not to mention just too nice of wood to put on the truck where it'll get beat up daily.

Brings to mind a story told me once by my old man:

- One of the players in his regular golfing foursome was a guy named Victor Delano.

- Victor Delano is the man on the USS West Virginia at Pearl Harbor who demonstrated operation of the battleship's twin cal. 50's to Mess Mate Doris Miller. Victor had figured to show Doris just how to feed it, and then find a sailor to fire it.

- Victor turned his back to find that sailor only to immediately hear that twin .50 firing away. Doris knew nothing about the operation of that weapon until that very minute. But what he did know was that it was time for action, and he immediately directed fire at anything in the air sporting the Rising Sun. Doris performed his duty and beyond. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his action that day.

- Anyway, that golf foursome was on the green one day on one particular hole, and Victor sank an impossible killer putt with something like two opposite breaks from a distance of like 25 foot from the hole.

- Everyone in the foursome was ecstatic and happy for Victor, except Victor. They all told him how that putt he had dropped was great! He had shot something like a 90 up to that point and it wasn't even near to the last hole.

Victor's comment to his buddies was, "Yeah, great like putting whipped cream on a pile of dog---t!"

Kind of a funny story. Like putting birds-eye maple on a 5-ton. The End. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Mos68x

lol I was wondering where that story was going and how it was relevant to the wood on the truck until the very last sentence lol well played!

someoldmoose

I thought my parents bought me that cool gold metal-flake helmet when I was 7 because it looked awesome. Little did I realize until years later (when I still had active brain cells and some of my colleagues during that time no longer did) that I had made too many trips to the E R . The helmet was a lot less expensive than the hospital bills. It had many "character marks" on it until it didn't fit anymore.

Whipped cream on K-9 feces . . . Hilarious, but true. We often spoke of How much Turtle Wax does it take to polish the same compound.

Back to point . . . there are many products out there for reducing NVH is auto applications. The kits are nice if you are trying to stop your Corolla from buzzing like a pissed off bumble bee every time the Sub kicks. ( I think folks whose wheels, tires, and stereos are worth more than their car are a special kind of . . . kind ) I think the use of the materials above shows an amazing level of How-to itiveness. Why buy many small kits when you can think big. Same product, in fact the HD solution is probably better in the long run. Commercial grade for roofing beats auto grade for door and panel stuffing.

These additions (NVH reduction) are #s 5 and 6 on my hit list.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Guys just remember that anything that can hold water in a 5ton will! If you plan on putting all that water holding padding in a five ton you better waterproof your floor or you won't have one for long. I would bedliner it first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys just remember that anything that can hold water in a 5ton will! If you plan on putting all that water holding padding in a five ton you better waterproof your floor or you won't have one for long. I would bedliner it first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I used outdoor foam/carpet.... UV protected and waterproof...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks