• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for everyone who installed any kind of crane, large hydraulic down to a 1000 lb Harbor Freight model.

I see most everyone mounts it in the back of the bed. Why? Isn't that restricting (slightly or moderately) what you can load in there? There is a convenience factor. I can totally see that. Maybe that is the answer, and it's nothing more.

Now, I have been accused of marching to the beat of a different drum more than one time. So my question isn't meant to criticize, just curious about the mounting location.

If (when) I mount a crane, I will likely put it in the front of the bed, either centered and braced to the front of the bed, if it's a larger hydraulic type, or in the drivers corner if it's a smaller one. I figure, there, it is out of the way, and I can still pick up anything and load it, even if I have to drop the side. I can use the front of the bed or the corner of the bed as a brace. You can't find a stronger location in my mind than to butt it right up against the corner if it's a small crane or up against the center of the bed of its larger. Even if you have to set it off a few inches, you can weld or bolt a piece of square or angle to secure it.

To me, it seems more convenient, and more practical.

But, that's just me. Again, I do see the convenience factor of having it at the back. Just curious what made a lot of you put it in the rear instead of the front.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130280-Addition-of-1-Ton-Bed-Crane

This should give you an idea of the bracing needed in the back. Even mounting in the front will require some bracing. It's not so much the bed you have to worry about flexing, it's the floor. The baseplate of these small cranes won't be large enough to tie into multiple crossmembers.

I mounted mine in the back because most things that weren't loaded with the crane were loaded by forklift. Much easier to let down the tailgate than the sides to load/unload. You can also work from the back and side with the crane in the back. I'll think you'll find a front mounted small crane a bit restrictive. Reach is limited with these and will be even more so if you put it in the corner up front corner.

I've made some more changes to mine since that thread. Mainly a 24v winch that runs directly off the truck instad of the 12v and a battery. I've got an idea for powering the swing but probably won't do it. I'm trying to move more in the direction of what Robert has...a real crane! I'll get there eventually.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good answers. I guess in the end, each person weighs the pros and cons of any position they mount, whether it be front or back, and mounts where it's best for him. Truck position can often be altered to pick up anything, but if you have a specific use in mind, then you put it where is best.

I believe mounting in the rear is the most useful for the crane itself. It's the amount of space you take up that is the trade off. A small HF crane is only inches, but a larger one is feet, or almost the entire back.

Its all food for thought for where I mount mine.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
270 degree swing on the ground vs 180.

I made mine drop into the lower part of the spare tire davit, or into a pipe I put in the back of the bed. View attachment 684831View attachment 684832
Now, that is an idea that I can subscribe to! Very good idea. You can take a 2000 lb HF engine hoist, a torch and some pipe and angle, plate, sq tube, etc and have two attachment points.

Well done!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jbulach, looks like you ran hydraulic hose to your crane. Nice work. Tell me about that winch. I have plans of mounting a 18,000 lb winch in that same location. With a set of ramps, and ingenuity I can pull almost I want into the truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mostly Harbor freight junk. Part of spare tire davit for the upright, old engine hoist for the main horizontal beam, 8 ton harbor freight air over hydraulic cylinder, #2,500 Harbor freight ATV Winch.
I went with the smaller winch so I did not need as much juice to run it. I have confirmed it will easily pick up at least 1,000lb on a single line so far.
The engine hoist was rated at 1,100lb extended 4,400 retracted, so it just should suit my needs just fine.

Mos68x

Mostly Harbor freight junk. Part of spare tire davit for the upright, old engine hoist for the main horizontal beam, 8 ton harbor freight air over hydraulic cylinder, #2,500 Harbor freight ATV Winch.
I went with the smaller winch so I did not need as much juice to run it. I have confirmed it will easily pick up at least 1,000lb on a single line so far.
The engine hoist was rated at 1,100lb extended 4,400 retracted, so it just should suit my needs just fine.
I noticed the air line to the cylinder but wasn't 100% sure it was air over, that's good news then for me. That will help me load the Harley in the truck again if I ever need to for some odd reason.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I like that! How about some more pics of it in the davit? With it in the davit can you load off the passenger side?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
IMG_3869.JPGIMG_3871.jpgIMG_3895.jpgIMG_3894.jpg
Yep, a couple more feet of reach on the passenger side.
Going to eventually put a pipe, to drop it in, up around the front bumper also.
Hopefully now that I've thinned out some of the coyotes around here, maybe get some pictures of deer hanging from it this year!

Mos68x

Going to eventually put a pipe, to drop it in, up around the front bumper also.
Hopefully now that I've thinned out some of the coyotes around here, maybe get some pictures of deer hanging from it this year!
I hope to have pictures of deer, antelope, and javelina hangin from mine this season. I'd love to get some coyote, fox, bobcat, and mountain lion too, but those will be for fur trading not food.

I like the idea of mounting another pipe on the front bumper, but I may wait until I get the front extended for the winch first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks