• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

I hope to have pictures of deer, antelope, and javelina hangin from mine this season. I'd love to get some coyote, fox, bobcat, and mountain lion too, but those will be for fur trading not food.
Brother, if you're going to take down a mountain lion (fast disappearing), consider taking one down with a Bowie Knife and make the contest even. :naner::mrgreen:

Mos68x

Brother, if you're going to take down a mountain lion (fast disappearing), consider taking one down with a Bowie Knife and make the contest even. :naner::mrgreen:
lol I would be crazy enough to try it, but there are too many trees around here for them to hide fast. Longest shot around here is usually 30-40yds. Gotta be on top of your game to lure them in lol

someoldmoose

Xray, do you do a nice wounded fawn call ? I yoosta just take the Ol' Lady and letter whine about sumthin. The predators came arunnin' ! All the stuff above looks AWESOME. I have on the list to build an extended front bumper of about 30 inches so I have a front porch. Gonna run a line from the beer keg to a tap that'll be my hood ornament. Poss. with a hand grenade (dead) for the handle. That way I won't hafta go back to the box to refresh my Stein as the sun sets over the Pacific. . . .

Last edited:

Mos68x

Xray, do you do a nice wounded fawn call ? I yoosta just take the Ol' Lady and letter whine about sumthin. The predators came arunnin' ! All the stuff above looks AWESOME. I have on the list to build an extended front bumper of about 30 inches so I have a front porch. Gonna run a line from the beer keg to a tap that'll be my hood ornament. Poss. with a hand grenade (dead) for the handle. That way I won't hafta go back to the box to refresh my Stein as the sun sets over the Pacific. . . .
Lol I use electric calls, I would sound like a diseased and dying cat if I tried it lol

aziator

I wonder if you could build a platform from the Class V hitch I installed on the back of the truck to mount the the crane/hoist to during hunting season? It is either that or I need to make the davit swivel.

mos68x, mountain lion is actually pretty good eating, prepare like pork.

Mos68x

I wonder if you could build a platform from the Class V hitch I installed on the back of the truck to mount the the crane/hoist to during hunting season? It is either that or I need to make the davit swivel.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that, just get ya some 2x2 stock and some 1/2" plate and it should hold it for hunting most big game, I don't think I'd try elk or bear on it but it should handle most everything else.

I didn't get one last season, but my neighbor did and he ended up lettin it spoil instead of using it for fur or food. Shame really since the hide could be worth up to $4k. I'll be skinnin most of his furs I think this comin season.

someoldmoose

2x2 - .250 wall will hold a 20K trailer, that'd hafta be one helluva Bar or other critter. Yer 1 K crane will still be the "weak link" and THANKS for yet another idea for Exit Strategy.

tobyS

An update to show fitting the canopy on the 929. I had 3 bows and decided I needed more headroom, but not too much sticking above the cab protector. I had a troop seat, frame and canopy from an A3 sold and found I could use the uprights to go higher and two of the arched cross-members cut length about (-5") to match the narrower 3 that I have, making a full set of 5.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Had two bad canister gaskets in a week since i replaced the filter. Sucking air pretty bad. Said screw it and went to a spin on setup. Wix 24309 bases. Single 1/2" in and out. Napa 3118 primary filter and 3418 fuel/water seperator. Recrimped my pump delivery hose to a #10 rather than the straight 1/2" male. 2" long nipple between. Quick hour fab up so i could get on the road tonight. Got a lil carried away with the Blue Monster thread sealer. Tapatalk is being retarded and wont upload the resized pics. Ill fix it when i get home.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't get one last season, but my neighbor did and he ended up lettin it spoil instead of using it for fur or food. Shame really since the hide could be worth up to $4k. I'll be skinnin most of his furs I think this comin season.
Sorry Mos68x, but that is just a crime what he did. An absolute unforgivable disrespect of a magnificent animal. There is no excuse for not taking the time to skin it and ice it or flesh and salt it immediately, unless there was some medical emergency on the hunters part, where he was unable.

If you do not plan to utilize it in some way, and taxidermy is an acceptable utilization, then do not kill it. It does not have to be eaten to be utilized, in the case of a predator.

I am a hunter, I hunt all over the world, and I do not tolerate the wasteful slob hunter, one bit.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Back to talking about trucks and humidity now. Thanks for indulging me.

Mos68x

Lol no worries, I've chewed his arse more than once for that kind of behavior. He is a very young hunter (15yr old) though and has learned much from me already. When he asked me to come help skin a deer it was atrocious, he barely harvested anything from the carcass and said he was done. I spent 2 hrs that night showing him how to harvest it properly, and for my time and effort I took home the back straps and tenderloins lol

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

You can use two wrecker support legs. Make mounts to hold them out and over to meet about a few inches off the back of the truck with a cross beam. Slap your winch into a receiver mount and snatch block on the cross beam. If you make the floor mounts strong enough itll hold about 850lbs dead weight with no rear support. Sort of a modified A frame

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started removing the lights/outlets/etc from the ceiling of my M934.....to start my remodel..... I now have water in there, that I didn't have in January.... Grrrr.... Another thing on 'the list'...

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've chewed his arse more than once for that kind of behavior. He is a very young hunter (15yr old)
Thats good. The best thing you can teach him is respect for the game. Too many young (and old) people think it's a chest thumping, he-man "all about he kill" type of activity that has no room for feminine or emotionaly vulnerable type of behavior. Crying, sorrow, respect, admiration of beauty. A pronghorn is beautiful and an Elk is majestic. Even the Javelina is ... something :) he's cool and has big teeth.

Its a tough, conflicting emotion. Killing, and then feeling sad for the loss of a life. (No, I am not a Native American, but their view on wild animals was a pretty good model.) As long as I still feel these emotions for the animal, I will continue doing this. If that ever leaves, I'm done.

Ok, PM me if you want to further the conversation. We are way off topic ...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use two wrecker support legs. Make mounts to hold them out and over to meet about a few inches off the back of the truck with a cross beam. Slap your winch into a receiver mount and snatch block on the cross beam. If you make the floor mounts strong enough itll hold about 850lbs dead weight with no rear support. Sort of a modified A frame Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Do you mean a similar setup as a winch truck? Maybe they call them something different elsewhere. We use a flatbed, a giant A-frame arm with a snatch block at the tip of the A-frame. Winch picks stuff up, arms are held in position with chains.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this what you had in mind? Or close to it?

IMG_8962.jpg

Easy to build with some 1 7/8" schedule 40 or even 11ga 2x2 or so. Very handy setup. Move base of a frame farther up into truck, use chains to hold A-frame and to adjust the position of A frame. Winch it up until it hits top. Keep winching, A frame comes up. Chain A frame up in position, and lower winch to lower your Elk.

There is another method that uses the front winch that I have used in Africa in Land Cruisers on many occasions. It's not a great idea for a 5 ton for many reasons, but definitely can be done. In fact, I'm designing it now. Can't find a picture. I'll just have to see if I can build it.

I did build one for my Kawasaki Mule. It was able to pull deer Aoudad and even Red Stag into the bed using the front winch routed over the top with a series of pulleys. It works! But, for a 5-ton, it needs a lot of designing. But it can be done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks