• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

therooster2001

This should be fitting then:

Get in our way, we'll put you on your shelf
Another day, some other way
We're gonna go, but then we'll see you again

Another Ahab

Looked at the slipped dog bone on my 9, and decided to go to a Ratt concert instead.
This should be fitting then:

Get in our way, we'll put you on your shelf
Another day, some other way
We're gonna go, but then we'll see you again
Sounds like my teenage years, Work? Nah.

Ratt? Oh heallll yeah!
I missed the band, and don't know the song, but guessing that there's a screaming guitar riff in there somewhere, is there?!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical 80's hair band. You didn't miss too much. They were good, but not like Motley Crue, Skid Row, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella, but more like Winger, White Lion Warrant, or Lita Ford/Ozzy combo, although, I did play the same Warlock BC Rich guitar that Lita Ford played, so I guess she's cool too.

What a trip down memory lane.

WV New Guy

New batteries finially and mounted a maintainer too. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Also so added new front lenses and locking door handles . Drivers side went n great lower screw on passenger side fell out gonna need a longer screw . Never had a handle on the passenger side before.
Gonna work this week on fabbing tie downs for the batteries using original posts .

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never had a handle on pass side? Need a longer screw?

Hmm. I wonder if there is a problem inside that made the last owner opt out of a passenger side handle. your screw should fit fine. I suspect an internal problem. I did the same swap. All screws are same length. Should fit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Updated my starter with a 35lb lighter gear reduction unit. So now the mighty small cam can sound like the magic schoolbus on startup too. meow! I will say though that on the 250 starter you do have to make your signal wire longer to reach.

Replaced my springs to the wrecker style setup. You have to replace the end saddles since the standard cargo will only allow 2 of the longer leafs to fit. I went ahead and bought new bolts rather than trying to save the old ones especially with carc on them. $115 for 16 grade 8 7/8" x 9" bolts with lock washers and nylon lock nuts. I did not go back with fine thread. And don't give me that debate on which is stronger fine or coarse.

Another observation I noticed is that if you replace the upper torque rods to the "new HD Style you will have to pull the saddle off the axle to get them in. or Pull the dog one bracket totally. That outer lip from the HD style wont let it clear the bump stop that is made to the saddle. THIS IS FOR THE WRECKER STYLE SPRINGS ONLY. Other trucks your bump stops are on the side of the frame.

You can see the crack in the one spring. That is how the set I had break last year started as well.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Replaced my springs to the wrecker style setup. You have to replace the end saddles since the standard cargo will only allow 2 of the longer leafs to fit. I went ahead and bought new bolts rather than trying to save the old ones especially with carc on them. $115 for 16 grade 8 7/8" x 9" bolts with lock washers and nylon lock nuts. I did not go back with fine thread. And don't give me that debate on which is stronger fine or coarse.
Sounds pricey, but being Grade 8 and breaking it down per bolt (with the loose hardware) that's about $7/ which isn't all that bad. Did you think?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The replacement fine threads are around 15ea. Thru Memphis equipment they are 22ea. The pain of getting all the paint off the threads is very time costing

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

armytruck63

Traded it for a 1987 GMC C30 crew cab dually. Sorry to see her go, but the wife is happy with my decision.

Edit: that was confusing. The truck went away, not my wife!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updated my starter with a 35lb lighter gear reduction unit. So now the mighty small cam can sound like the magic schoolbus on startup too. meow! I will say though that on the 250 starter you do have to make your signal wire longer to reach.

Another observation I noticed is that if you replace the upper torque rods to the "new HD Style you will have to pull the saddle off the axle to get them in. or Pull the dog one bracket totally. That outer lip from the HD style wont let it clear the bump stop that is made to the saddle. THIS IS FOR THE WRECKER STYLE SPRINGS ONLY. Other trucks your bump stops are on the side of the frame.

You can see the crack in the one spring. That is how the set I had break last year started as well.

Ooh.. I can see you slipping over to the dark side, the starter IS where it starts! With that big Cat trany you could really crank up a little bus motor.

Looking forward to a ride report!

Do you happen to know your typical weight on the rear tandem empty, with your trailer hitched, as well loaded heavy?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ooh.. I can see you slipping over to the dark side, the starter IS where it starts! With that big Cat trany you could really crank up a little bus motor.

Looking forward to a ride report!

Do you happen to know your typical weight on the rear tandem empty, with your trailer hitched, as well loaded heavy?
Empty at 26k with one empty fuel tank. The 71k is with the dolly and lowboy setup with a m932A0 on it. 39,500 with the truck and m322 empty.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In all honesty. After a little test drive after I did one side with the spring swap. VS with both sides having wrecker springs. It rode better with one side as stock springs and one wrecker spring unloaded and loaded. Weird.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, you may have missed that one. :)
No. He misread the original post cause most northerners dont understand the southern lingo. As far as fat jokes. Well. Its ok. Ole girl can be fat since she works hard and doesnt sit in the driveway like his Winnebago

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks