• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could just get some big washers and weld them in the center.
thats gonna be a big ol washer! From what I see, everyone is using what they find in the shop that is strong enough. 3/8 or 1/2” and 6” or so, long enough to go across the outside and stop it from popping off.

74M35A2 has overengineered his. And I am a big fan of that, but I don’t have time for the nonsense of lathes and all that stuff. Plus I don’t have access to a lathe and all that stuff, so, I’ll bust out the torch and get a piece of 3/8 or 1/2” steel, and start cutting.

Thanks for the answers. Always helps to know what the other guys are up to.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A large grade 8 bolt welded on and then painted to match.
Not the best looking solution, but definitely strong enough.

Probably cheaper than having large washers made.

winfred

if they are made out of the same stuff as the ones on a deuce it don't weld well, this is up there with playing with a squirt gun mig/steel on a chunk of aluminum scrap to see just how crappy itll turn out, my welding teacher would call it bird 5hit and ended up nearly useless, i plated all of mine after the first one popped off till i could deal with it later and still lost a end 2/3 into a 180 mile trailer recovery and did the ratchet strap/tire iron/wheel chock/bottle jack boogie in the parking lot of a stop and rob to get home

Is welding an acceptable solution? I’m a lot better welder than driller.

Spyderman

My son started a little school program. He is 3. I take him to school and pick him up. Of course in the 5 ton.

Sent from my Webslinger using Tapatalk

winfred

you aren't welding to the bone just the center of the joint, you gotta make it so the joint can't pull through, not sure what the square hole part in the middle is made from but on mine it didn't weld like steel stainless galvanized or iron, splattery ugly cold weld, thinking that part may be a pot metal cover over the back of the joint, cept its not a ball joint..... may do some destructive testing once i punch one out. planning on drilling and tapping the new set

Apparently the 5ton bones are made of steel.

Maybe deuce bones, or yours in particular were cast iron? Or something else.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winfred, you are right, I erroneously described the entire apparatus as a “bone” in my haste to post and run. thanks for pointing that out, that might have caused someone to weld the wrong area, or both areas.

I’m wondering what yours are made of? Maybe a dumb question, MIG weld and forgot to turn on the gas? Wrong polarity? Did you rule out other welding mistakes? It happens to all of us.

Im no metallurgist so other than it being aluminum (unlikely) all I can think of is cast iron? What else could it be?

The 5-ton guys don’t seem to have issues with welding theirs so it must be a different substance. Let us know if you do a post-mortem on one.

74M35A2

Entered the 9 in my kid's Trunk-or-Treat function at elementary school. Unknowlingly, it was a contest and I won. Limped her up there with a disco'd torque rod end. Winner for best costume was handmade, and completely off the chain on excellence. Legs moved correct when walking, it was great to see:

IMG_4968.jpg IMG_4967.jpgIMG_4957.jpg

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little black paint today and a lot of lube. Think I found all 100 fittings. Then a little spin to the gas station. Got lots of thumbs up. It was cool!!IMG_1360.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A little black paint today and a lot of lube. Think I found all 100 fittings. Then a little spin to the gas station. Got lots of thumbs up. It was cool!!View attachment 705937
I think there are 30 on the A2s. The A1 trucks have more with an extra u joint and waterpump fittings. Battery operated grease guns are handy.

You can drill and tap your front drive flanges and a fitting there for greasing it helps alot.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any other fittings in hidden spaces people miss? Under the hood?
The trunnion bearings for the rears are usually neglected. Don't forget to loosen the cap before you start pumping.

The front axle shafts have fittings for the U-joints. Well, you asked. Lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks