• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

twisted60

Changed my engine oil, oil filter and eternal transmission filter today, also drained and refilled the front differential, it looked a little off so did the change.
Good for a few more miles...

IMG_1411.jpg

74M35A2

Ah yes, the eternal transmission filter. One would think you would never need to change that?

Just kidding buddy. I was watching Beavis and Butthead reruns this morning.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better be good for a few more miles!!!

I’ll bet those eternal filters are pricey?!

Edit: Dang it, Clint beat me to it...

Last edited:

74M35A2

You should be used to seeing my tail lights by now.

Simp knows what turbocharged tail lights look like too.

Is an eternal filter like the “forever” stamp at the post office?

Last edited:

twisted60

Should never need to change my eternal transmission filter again...Wish I could blame it on spell check but ... it was just a bad connection between brain and fingers, must have bumped my head too many times while under the truck today. Now if I can find more eternal filters and maybe some eternal oil...

Good
catch, I missed it and even looked thru the TM's to make sure, after finding the NSN it took me to:
SPIN ON EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION FILTER FOR M35A3 AND M939 SERIES TRUCKS

Hahaha, thanks for keeping me on track...

74M35A2

We’re just having fun. No big deal. Most all of my posts show edited because iPhones are made for 13 year old girl fingers, and even if you do know how to spell it won’t look like it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see Clint, in his best Cornholio voice, shirt up over his head, pretending to ask the guy at NAPA for an eternal filter.

“I am Cornholio, I need eternal filter for my go-go!”

186C43E7-E25C-47AC-897F-E0EC8902F87F.jpeg

Last edited:

MAdams

Blew an exhaust gasket. I guess it didnt like 36psi of boost and its old age. 6 of the 12 manifold bolts broke off in the head and I has to weld a nut to them to get them all out. While the manifold is out I surfaced it on my mill. She's flat now
2017-11-20 17.49.18.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blew an exhaust gasket. I guess it didnt like 36psi of boost and its old age. 6 of the 12 manifold bolts broke off in the head and I has to weld a nut to them to get them all out. While the manifold is out I surfaced it on my mill. She's flat now
View attachment 708974
What were you doing? And were you in high range trying to pull something?

Details please. Would like to know what caused this.

MAdams

The old manifold gaskets were original and there was a bit of pitted rust between the manifold and head flanges. Time, heat and moisture ate away at them. The upper bolts sit in a little trough and collect water, rust and eventually break off when you try to remove them.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I see, I thought you broke gasket and bolts all at the same time!

I’m thinking, “Wow, that guy was at a tractor pull or something!”

Should have been a bit more obvious maybe, I was having a slow gray matter moment.

74M35A2

That is a bad design on the 6CTA8.3. For the next generation of that engine (ISC/ISL), they went to this:

967A657A-71D0-42FD-9B07-E378A0FE1122.jpgF8DD5FB5-50E0-4F1E-9A52-DFAF3D952419.jpg

Not sure why the bolt head is not up against the manifold flange. Must be a heat transfer, thermal expansion, or vibration concern. Tempting to use stainless bolts or studs, but they are not nearly as hard as engine fasteners.

big block 88

About got the 923a1 whipped. Ac comp in plumbed heater box/blower unit mounted under dash. Wired and blower tested. Holy ell that blower can move some massive air.

Alt is in and wired (fingers crossed correctly). (I hate wireing btw). Was all excited to test fire the truck check out put on alt but....... looks like im missing 2 **** fitting for the heater!!! Gonna hit NAPA in the AM and see if by chance they have hvac end in 7/8. And yes this kit for some reason uses hvac fitting on the heater core..... yeah....

gonna do some final wire tying and routing then get all the hoses routed and secured for vibration. Then gonna charge the unit up.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
DVR system installed. 3 cameras done. Debating on the 4ths location.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

big block 88

Same cameras i run Wes. Very nice units. I run front centered over winch and rear centered over pentel. I was going to mount one on each mirror looking in my blind spots but never did. I dont run a dvr unit though.

My cameras do flicker from time to time for some reason but it clears up in less than a second.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Same cameras i run Wes. Very nice units. I run front centered over winch and rear centered over pentel. I was going to mount one on each mirror looking in my blind spots but never did. I dont run a dvr unit though.

My cameras do flicker from time to time for some reason but it clears up in less than a second.
It was a used unit off amazon. It lowered my insurance costs a little. I dont like the little bubble eye cameras much. Would have rather had the basic ones.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cool. You’ll be able to record me pulling away from you. Then you can watch it over and over again. :driver:
My truck will have the frame and whole thing worn out from all the miles shes racked up before you even start to take yours apart to get more HP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks